What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

B654145C-5143-49DA-9B54-DEAF8BCC0ADB.jpeg

I've had theirvBP rye, which is fantastic. How's that 4 yr wheater? Based on how good their rye is, I'm curious to have some of their SiB BP high rye bourbon. 

20 hours ago, flahute said:

All of my CD's are ripped to my Synology Network Attached Storage hard drive with backup and my Bluesound Node 2i pulls from that so I can stream all my CDs from the comfort of my couch. I rip at 16 and 24 bit. No mp3's in this house any more. I still by CD's to this day. Some will call me old school. I call me owner of all my music.

Finally.

Somebody gets it!

the only thing worse than an MP3 in quality is Sirius XM radio.

I still cannot believe that people pay money for how that garbage sounds.

(Sorry if You’re offended.  It’s not personal.  Sirius XM just sounds like crap to my ears... in both my cars).

Grandfather was right.

Nothing beats vinyl.

CD’s for convenience, but I’m really upset about the new trend in cars not coming with CD players anymore.

Maybe I’m a crotchety gen Yer...

just ignore me.

?

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I've had theirvBP rye, which is fantastic. How's that 4 yr wheater? Based on how good their rye is, I'm curious to have some of their SiB BP high rye bourbon. 

It’s actually really good.  You can taste a little youth, but it surprised me.  I’m doing a little flight right now.  The BIB “traditional” bourbon mash with 24% rye is winning so far.  Going to try the BP rye after this one. 

Round 3 of the Wilderness Trail flight.  BP Rye pick from Liquor Barn.  

3B9F179B-21F0-40B1-AE49-040A34929198.jpeg

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Finally.

Somebody gets it!

(Sorry if You’re offended.  It’s not personal.  Sirius XM just sounds like crap to my ears... in both my cars).

Grandfather was right.

Nothing beats vinyl.

CD’s for convenience, but I’m really upset about the new trend in cars not coming with CD players anymore.

just ignore me.

?

16 bit music files onto a thumb drive that you plug into tour cars entertainment system! Problem solved. 

• I like it 1

At home in my listening room I still spin my redbook CDs, SACDs, and vinyl.  On various physical players. Because I like the more involving experience of physically picking out something to play.  And because I'm a gear geek.  And, just because.

Edited by Kepler

Following up yesterday's opening of the Grand Dad's for BOTM, I'm back into the BIB and I have to comment on how lovely it is. Really amazing you can get a bourbon this good for the price in today's market.

I clearly have too much bourbon to drink since it's taken me so long to get back around to this.

Harry is onto something here.

• I like it 3

The Wilderness Trail BP Rye is all sweet dill.  It’s very good at only 3.5 years old though.  Very impressed with what I tasted this evening.  I’m putting them on our trail trip for this year.  Looking forward to the visit.  Good things are coming from this distillery & all the great things I’ve heard were confirmed tonight. 

@JCwhammie I’d also love to try the BP version of the high rye bourbon.  I think that would be right up my alley. 

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, flahute said:

Following up yesterday's opening of the Grand Dad's for BOTM, I'm back into the BIB and I have to comment on how lovely it is. Really amazing you can get a bourbon this good for the price in today's market.

I clearly have too much bourbon to drink since it's taken me so long to get back around to this.

Harry is onto something here.

The BiB is my favorite of the OGD.  It's definitely a high quality whiskey.  It just missed my personal list of my top 3 daily pours, but only because I don't drink it that often for some reason.  I need to change that!

• I like it 1

While finishing my work day at home due to a snow/sleet system we had yesterday, I was enjoying a fire in the fireplace and some OF 100pf and then a pour of WT Rare Breed. 

OGD BIB for me today--which is not all that unusual--but what is noticeable is the exceptional cinnamon note. It is always there but today it seems particularly intense.

Today, some '11 EWSB. Although I enjoy the HH house profile, I wish this was a higher proof, and aged a little longer. They can definitely make a chewy bourbon, but they don't do it enough. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

Finally.

Somebody gets it!

Grandfather was right.

Nothing beats vinyl.

just ignore me.

?

I'm absolutely with you on this, @0895. I'm a crotchety gen Xer, and NOTHING beats vinyl! I always loved ripping off the cellophane wrappers of my albums, and there was also something wonderful about the way they smelled, plus the cover art was so often a feast for the eyes. Especially double albums. Ahhh......I digress in my reminiscing. 

I've got Sirius XM in my Audi, but only because 95% of our radio stations suck around here. My car didn't come with a CD player, so, I'm just stuck with what I've got I suppose......

......on a more Bourbon-y note, I'm in a cocktail mood rather than my usual neat mood tonight, so I'm having some EC mixed with blood oranges and tonic. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 2

Celebrating the first week of working from home full time.  Moving into the next stage of my career.  Wife had a good visit with her cardiologist today and was given a clean bill of health.  As I tell her often” god takes care of fools and children and I haven’t been a child in a long time.”  Stopped by on the way home and picked up a McKenna.  Very nice.  Bought her a bottle of Adictivo Anejo Tequila that she thought was quite nice.

E13561A5-0AE0-4809-9529-673E349E5E37.jpeg

• I like it 4

Today, some '11 EWSB. Although I enjoy the HH house profile, I wish this was a higher proof, and aged a little longer. They can definitely make a chewy bourbon, but they don't do it enough. 

Preach brother, more specifically I like the HH profile and wish they had an aged longe, higher proof version.

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

Finally.

Somebody gets it!

Grandfather was right.

Nothing beats vinyl.

just ignore me.

?

Yup, MP3 got trendy with people listening to all their music through ear buds. The difference in mp3 and flac or any other non-compressed audio is night and and day. I buy CDs, rip them to my computer, then load an uncompressed version to my old school ipod classic. 

I need to set up a home network so I can access all my music on my computer instead of using my ipod connected to my a/v receiver.

I'm also pretty bitter about newer cars not having CD players. 

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

My car didn't come with a CD player, so, I'm just stuck with what I've got I suppose......

22 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I'm also pretty bitter about newer cars not having CD players. 

In case you missed my post above, I rip my CDs to 16bit and put them on a thumb drive which plugs into my cars entertainment system so I have access to a large number of my CD's in a small package.

My car has a CD player and I rarely use it because the thumb drive is more convenient. I do like having it though so I can listen to that brand new CD I just bought that I haven't ripped yet.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Totally agree.  When i find a really good one of these it seems to disappear so fast because i drink the lower proof stuff much more quickly than the higher proof stuff.  If it were higher maybe i would slow down and it would last longer.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, flahute said:

16 bit music files onto a thumb drive that you plug into tour cars entertainment system! Problem solved. 

I am in the process of ripping my favorite 1960s LPs before giving them away and figured mp3 would work for my bad ears.  Plus, I have a drawerful of thumb drives.  What’s 16 bit?  Post or PM a pointer, please, to an explanation.  I know it is off thread, but . . . 

Edit - up first is the TimeLife “Swing Era”, Deutsche Grammaphon’s Complete Beethoven, Buddy Holly complete, and theBeatles complete in a box and never played.  Stones are covered with potato chip oils and fingerprints.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

35 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I am in the process of ripping my favorite 1960s LPs before giving them away and figured mp3 would work for my bad ears.  Plus, I have a drawerful of thumb drives.  What’s 16 bit?  Post or PM a pointer, please, to an explanation.  I know it is off thread, but . . . 

Edit - up first is the TimeLife “Swing Era”, Deutsche Grammaphon’s Complete Beethoven, Buddy Holly complete, and theBeatles complete in a box and never played.  Stones are covered with potato chip oils and fingerprints.

16 bit is the size and range of the music file that CD's are formatted at. Mp3 on the other hand is much smaller and compressed. The sound quality is not as good. Super high resolution files are 24 bit and 32 bit.

FLAC is a popular 16 bit format. Apple lossless is another.

On topic, a little Old Fo 86 before dinner. OGDBIB awaits after dinner.

• I like it 1

It's been a great wonderful week in the Whammie household. On monday morning little Whammie came into the world. The Misses has been nothing short of incredible at this Mom role.

They're both healthy and happy, which puts me on cloud nine. 

That gets me to what I'm drinking tonight. This is our first night home after 3 in the hospital. We're in between feeds, so while she's taking a little nap I just opened and poured this Saffell. I bought this bottle to be the first pour after my son was born, and it doesnt disappoint. What an incredible pour for an incredible week. 

Here's a wide-eyed little Whammie for your enjoyment. 

20200206_214653.jpg

Attach29244_20200206_221736.jpg

• I like it 25

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.