What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/7/2020 at 6:54 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Harry in WashDC, love your taste in music (and bourbon)! I've been a life-long Beatles fan. Lately I've been on a big Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran kick. 

Hope you're imbibing something tasty this Friday evening. 

Cheers,

Nancy

After dinner (which included a Boulevardier made with OGB BIB and fresh blood orange juice), I am settling in with neat OGD BIB for a night of English comedies on PBS.  EDIT - Now on to the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore marathon.

RE: the above --Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" (1958) introduced me to heavy guitar while my contemporaries were listening to novelties like "Witch Doctor" by David "Chipmunks" Seville and "Yakety Yak" by the Coasters.  In the movie, "La Bamba" (1987), I fell in love with Brian Setzer's guitar-playing of "Summertime Blues" when he played Eddie Cochran.  I've played them side by side and am convinced that Brian Setzer copied Cochran's licks.  That is no easy feat.  I've been a fan of BS ever since - even through his heavy tattoo phaseB) - and particularly his big band phase.

The music is said to have died on 3 FEB 1959 near Clear Lake, Iowa, (Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, RIchie "Richard Steven Valenzuela" Valens RIP) and Eddie Cochran's death by taxi accident in England (he was NOT driving) in April 1960 added to that loss.  While EC's technique was impressive, his studio work, I am told, was ground-breaking -- overdubbing, playing different parts on different tracks then combining them on the master, etc.  Not bad for somebody who died at 21.  I read someplace (and just found on Wiki the same) that Paul McCartney says Eddie Cochran's playing is what drove him to learn to play guitar.  AND DON'T GET ME STARTED on Jimi Hendrix.  Millenials say my music sux - I pull out "All Along the Watchtower" and crank it up.  I hear "Play it again!" a lot.

Non sequitur - My senior year college roommate was from La Porte City, Iowa.  He showed me his ticket for that FEB 1959 concert.  Six degrees of separation.  Almost.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 5

On 2/6/2020 at 11:26 PM, JCwhammie said:

It's been a great wonderful week in the Whammie household. On monday morning little Whammie came into the world. The Misses has been nothing short of incredible at this Mom role.

They're both healthy and happy, which puts me on cloud nine. 

That gets me to what I'm drinking tonight. This is our first night home after 3 in the hospital. We're in between feeds, so while she's taking a little nap I just opened and poured this Saffell. I bought this bottle to be the first pour after my son was born, and it doesnt disappoint. What an incredible pour for an incredible week. 

Here's a wide-eyed little Whammie for your enjoyment. 

20200206_214653.jpg

Attach29244_20200206_221736.jpg

I can read kidface.  He's CLEARLY wondering, "Dad, you gonna share or Bogart?"

• I like it 2

49 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

After dinner (which included a Boulevardier made with OGB BIB and fresh blood orange juice), I am settling in with neat OGD BIB for a night of English comedies on PBS.

RE: the above --Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" (1958) introduced me to heavy guitar while my contemporaries were listening to novelties like "Witch Doctor" by David "Chipmunks" Seville and "Yakety Yak" by the Coasters.  In the movie, "La Bamba" (1987), I fell in love with Brian Setzer's guitar-playing of "Summertime Blues" when he played Eddie Cochran.  I've played them side by side and am convinced that Brian Setzer copied Cochran's licks.  That is no easy feat.  I've been a fan of BS ever since - even through his heavy tattoo phaseB) - and particularly his big band phase.

The music is said to have died on 3 FEB 1959 near Clear Lake, Iowa, (Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, RIchie "Richard Steven Valenzuela" Valens RIP) and Eddie Cochran's death by taxi accident in England (he was NOT driving) in April 1960 added to that loss.  While EC's technique was impressive, his studio work, I am told, was ground-breaking -- overdubbing, playing different parts on different tracks then combining them on the master, etc.  Not bad for somebody who died at 21.  I read someplace (and just found on Wiki the same) that Paul McCartney says Eddie Cochran's playing is what drove him to learn to play guitar.  AND DON'T GET ME STARTED on Jimi Hendrix.  Millenials say my music sux - I pull out "All Along the Watchtower" and crank it up.  I hear "Play it again!" a lot.

Non sequitur - My senior year college roommate was from La Porte City, Iowa.  He showed me his ticket for that FEB 1959 concert.  Six degrees of separation.  Almost.

@Harry in WashDC, not only are you my Bourbon brother, but we definitely have much the same tastes in music!  In addition to Eddie Cochran, I'm also a big Brian Setzer fan. Love both his rockabilly and big band stuff. And don't get ME started on Paul McCartney and John Lennon. I was born right before the Beatles broke up, and I've been a fan since I was in diapers. I even went on a pilgrimage to Liverpool 20 years ago. 

When I was a kid, my sister and I would listen to our parents Chess, Checker, Atlantic, Atco, Sun, Capitol, and other 45's and 33's from the '50's and 60's: Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Ray Charles, etc. We also listened to our grandparent's '78 rpm records, although those were super delicate since they were shellac and not vinyl. 

I recently read a biography of Eddie Cochran and learned about the fact that he was experimenting with overdubbing before he died. It wasn't very well written, but still very interesting. If you want to read a good book that's in that same vein, I would suggest finding "The Birth of Loud: Leo Fender, Les Paul, and the Guitar-Pioneering Rivalry that Shaped Rock'n'Roll," by Ian S. Port. Fantastic and fascinating read. Goes into Les Paul's pioneering work in multi track recording, etc. 

Yep, I hear you on Jimi Hendrix too. I was in a band in college, and we played "All Along the Watchtower."  I just love that stuff. One of my all-time favorites is Cream. I idolized Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton, and Ginger Baker. I could go on and on about that era of music, when musicians were real masters of their instruments and didn't have to have the aid of digitalization to sound great. Sigh.....

Well, on a Bourbon note, I started my evening with another blood orange and tonic cocktail, but this time with some MGP barrel samples I have around the house. I'm now moving on to drinking neat with a little 20 year old juice from the barrel. I rarely crack open that stock, but my palate is in the mood for it tonight. 

Cheers, ?

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 5

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Harry in WashDC, not only are you my Bourbon brother, but we definitely have much the same tastes in music!  In addition to Eddie Cochran, I'm also a big Brian Setzer fan. Love both his rockabilly and big band stuff. And don't get ME started on Paul McCartney and John Lennon. I was born right before the Beatles broke up, and I've been a fan since I was in diapers. I even went on a pilgrimage to Liverpool 20 years ago.

[Harry in WashDC cut a ton from the original post from here.]

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Well, on a Bourbon note, I started my evening with another blood orange and tonic cocktail, but this time with some MGP barrel samples I have around the house. I'm now moving on to drinking neat with a little 20 year old juice from the barrel. I rarely crack open that stock, but my palate is in the mood for it tonight. 

Cheers, ?

Nancy

Blood oranges are only available for a couple months each year.  We like the low acidity, compared to regular oranges, when we are doing cocktails.  Tonight was 1.5 OZ each of fresh Blood orange juice, OGD BIB bourbon, M&R sweet (i.e., red) vermouth, and Campari plus some Angostura - a blood orange Boulevardier.

Uh, we refrigerate our vermouths when opened (and only buy 375s when available to save space).  Off season, Solerno works in these and is also a nice change from recipes calling for Cointreau or some other orange liqueur.  Except for Triplex.  There is no substitute.  But, that's just us.

• I like it 1

Not bourbon, but I had a nice pour of BT Bourbon Cream earlier this evening. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I could go on and on about that era of music, when musicians were real masters of their instruments and didn't have to have the aid of digitalization to sound great. Sigh.....

Preach my sister. I despise autotune.

You might appreciate this meme:

beyonce-vs-freddie-mercury-just-sayin.jpg

On topic, OGDBIB - I'm channeling Harry.

And Vespers.

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I pull out "All Along the Watchtower" and crank it up. 

Can I get an AMEN?

How 'bout "Live at Monterrey" and three oz of OGD114?  Definitely not tunes to chill out by.

• I like it 4

I've been on the Turkey Train for a couple of weeks.  What a ride. ?

Tonight, WTMK Revival & RRSiB

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:31 AM, marshall9779 said:

Congrats.

Fighting off a cold last night.
IMG_4172.jpg

Me too - I had a dry, scratchy throat last Monday and Tuesday.  Bourbon did the trick; I used 50/50 Evan Williams black and Early Times BIB.

I just finished a mug of coffee with a splash of ET BIB, and now I think I'll have a pour of it neat before my Sunday nap :)

Edit: congrats to the Whammies!

Edited by TheNovaMan
  • I like it 1

Speaking of WT101, that's what I'm sipping right now.  Yes this tastes significantly better to me than either OGD 114 or BiB, and that's no slight on those two excellent bourbons.   To me it just tastes better and has more depth to offer.  For me it's no more complicated than that. 

(Apologies for crossing threads here)

Edited by Kepler
misspelling
  • I like it 2

48 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Maisano’s Fine Wines “Spiced Orange” pick this afternoon. 

4E416FB9-B934-4C95-BEA1-24D08AB6F3F8.jpeg

Did you have to expand your shelving? Of course I know the answer to that, haha.  It's an affliction we all share on here.  Although I have to say I was a fan of the Four Roses wooden sign between the shelving and thought it looked great there.

• I like it 1

A little bit of water to proof it down (I'm guessing to about 110 proof), and this is incredibly nice. The oak on this particular 15yr 4mo barrel is pretty astringent at 120 proof. 

20200209_191533.jpg

• I like it 3

Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey - John J. Bowman. Although we may get some help from that other Commonwealth on this one...

Earlier - Jefferson's Reserve and Redbreast 15 (not bourbon, but delicious).

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey - John J. Bowman. Although we may get some help from that other Commonwealth on this one...

Earlier - Jefferson's Reserve and Redbreast 15 (not bourbon, but delicious).

I haven't seen John J Bowman or Bowman Bros SmB around here in quite a while. I enjoy both quite a bit. 

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Did you have to expand your shelving? Of course I know the answer to that, haha.  It's an affliction we all share on here.  Although I have to say I was a fan of the Four Roses wooden sign between the shelving and thought it looked great there.

Hahaha good eye!  Yes I did...  I have to drill another spot for the sign.  

I’ve been waiting for Amazon to stock the bookshelves I have for at least six months.  They’re reinforced with a metal bar below the shelf to keep them from bowing.  I finally gave up & got the middle one because it also has the same reinforced shelves.  It was a pain...  Also, I didn’t get near as much relief as I was hoping.  

713A07CD-7A8E-4FC1-A7A5-3093F1BED811.jpeg

• I like it 6

I hear you.  Shelving for an expanding whiskey collection is almost like highway construction in a growing city.  By the time you have the new one finished it's already time to expand again. 

Either way, your display looks great.

• I like it 2

Hahaha good eye!  Yes I did...  I have to drill another spot for the sign.  

I’ve been waiting for Amazon to stock the bookshelves I have for at least six months.  They’re reinforced with a metal bar below the shelf to keep them from bowing.  I finally gave up & got the middle one because it also has the same reinforced shelves.  It was a pain...  Also, I didn’t get near as much relief as I was hoping.  

713A07CD-7A8E-4FC1-A7A5-3093F1BED811.thumb.jpeg.c7998d5549f9a7533fd4842dc0e1e78a.jpeg

Not a bad problem to have. Perhaps you’ve reached bourbon zen? Time to get busy drinking.
  • I like it 1

34 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Not a bad problem to have. Perhaps you’ve reached bourbon zen? Time to get busy drinking.

Now, you know it’s better to have a buying problem than a drinking problem. :lol:

• I like it 1

Another one of those days where a bourbon I think I know pretty well tastes a little different due to something I've eaten. Having some W.B. Saffell after a meal that had a fair amount of garlic in it and I'm getting quite a bit of sweetness that hadn't been there before. Still a great pour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.