What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, smokinjoe said:

Crazy busy at work this week, so decided to open something special to jump start the decompression needed to get ready for a solid finish tomorrow.  This ETL is one of our groups best picks.  A nice butteriness on the finish is sitting with my palate very well, right now.  

7AC4E3C7-5F3F-4135-99C6-FD5DB3E249E0.jpeg

Between Joe's post and GaryT's mention of this bourbon, I had to open my last one this afternoon. Magnificent whiskey!! I'll stand behind my earlier post that stated this is the best ETL I've had. The GBS boys and girls have every right to be proud of their selection.

GBS ETL.jpg

• I like it 9

5 hours ago, BlueMonk said:

Ok, I did my SBS of BT and BT single barrel select last night.  While I will not pretend to be able to describe the differences, they were there.  But I wonder how much of it is due to the fact that I just cracked open the BT single barrel while the regular BT has been open weeks.  

A store in my region did a really neat selection of BT single barrels a few years ago. They chose five barrels all aged next to one another, barreled the same day and bottled the same day. The only maturation difference was the individual wood of the barrels. Surprisingly, the four different barrels were all distinctly different. The best one I would rate 91/100, the worst 80/100. 

I got to thoroughly enjoy some bourbon this weekend. My buddy tried to snap me out of my rye cenric world with fancy bottles. I can't say he didn't accomplish his goal. The 128.2 stag Jr. Was amazing with green apple in the pallet and baking spice in the finish, like a deconstructed apple pie. And Blanton's gold too. Hey I went to bed early.

IMG_20200222_151245.jpg

• I like it 2

I got to thoroughly enjoy some bourbon this weekend. My buddy tried to snap me out of my rye cenric world with fancy bottles. I can't say he didn't accomplish his goal. The 128.2 stag Jr. Was amazing with green apple in the pallet and baking spice in the finish, like a deconstructed apple pie. And Blanton's gold too. Hey I went to bed early.
IMG_20200222_151245.thumb.jpg.cf0f342ab963d85469c74b0870a10e35.jpg

All I see is Newport’s like a fresh minty blast from the past.
  • I like it 1

32 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

All I see is Newport’s like a fresh minty blast from the past

Yeah I set them down for an old, basically unsmokable perdomo 20th. Never seen that pack or lighter again

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I went to the bunker and brought up an orange cap OGDBIB in honor of @Harry in WashDC being named Bourbonian Of The Year. 
All hail Harry!

76DE5F9A-3814-4E81-A142-87DA932FE4D6.jpeg

Great idea on the tribute to Harry.  Cheers to our new Bourbonian of the Year!!

20200223_194353.jpg

• I like it 5

Starting with some EW SB, then on to some EC from the HH gift pack. The EC in these packs is stellar!  The EW is a 2004 according to the box. Its very sweet and soft.

20200223_202801-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

The EC in these packs is stellar!  

20200223_202801-784x1613.jpg

Yes!

It is some of the best NAS EC I have tasted.

Not sure how or why that happened, but that was basically the reason I bought several of those packs.

:)

22 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Yes!

It is some of the best NAS EC I have tasted.

Not sure how or why that happened, but that was basically the reason I bought several of those packs.

:)

I'm down to last 2. I bought like 7 or 8 when they got down to $15 and then $10. Gave one away as a present.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

20200223_194353.jpg

DUDE. 

That’s a serious orange cap collection. 

• I like it 1

After a 4 am wake up call, the drive back to ATL to catch a 10:25 flight back to Boston, I'm back home.

Did anyone catch the SEC Network's coverage of the 2020 Swimming Championships showing the Men's 1650 Final from Saturday nite?  Bobby Fink from Florida set a new American, NCAA, and SEC record as the fastest time ever in the race.  If you watched closely, you could see my bald spot in the lower left hand corner of the screen at the start end of the pool.  I was the deck referee for the race and got to sign the record applications!

We went back to our hotel after the meet to celebrate by finishing off the bottles of WLW and GTS at the hotel bar.  Here's a pic of the two (2) bottles at the end of Friday nite:

20200221_204344.jpg

No need to drive to Auburn, AL to get a 1.5oz pour - both bottles are empty today!   And yes, a wee dram of the GTS was $1.00 cheaper than the WLW.  Sorry, to be such a PIG - NOT!  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 14

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

20200223_194353.jpg

So what's the deal with the orange caps? Is this better than the current black cap (or whatever color it is)? Would these be considered dusties?  I happened to stroll into a liquor store when visiting a friend and took a detour I don't normally take. The bourbon offerings were slim about 3 or 4 brands.... but they did have a several cases of the orange cap OGD.  I did notice they were different than what I've seen everywhere else but didn't really think much of it.

Should I go back?

41 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

So what's the deal with the orange caps? Is this better than the current black cap (or whatever color it is)? Would these be considered dusties?  I happened to stroll into a liquor store when visiting a friend and took a detour I don't normally take. The bourbon offerings were slim about 3 or 4 brands.... but they did have a several cases of the orange cap OGD.  I did notice they were different than what I've seen everywhere else but didn't really think much of it.

Should I go back?

I did a sbs with an orange cap 375ml I found and the current OGD bib offering. There was a definite difference. IMO both were still delicious.

I think the current offering was a bit spicier on the palate and the older was a bit more nutty. But honestly my CRS disease is kicking in and I wish I had made notes. 

4 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Should I go back?

There is nothing special about the difference the bourbon may have from the current bottle. It's just a bottle/label style preference. A lot of us liked the orange cap because it's unique and the biggest champion of said orange cap was Harry who found it easy to find when in the back of the cabinet and hidden by other bottles.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I went to the bunker and brought up an orange cap OGDBIB in honor of @Harry in WashDC being named Bourbonian Of The Year. 
All hail Harry!

76DE5F9A-3814-4E81-A142-87DA932FE4D6.jpeg

Joining the bandwagon here but I have to toast with OGD 114.  Didn't have a bonded version in the bunker.  Both versions are really good.  Greatfull to Harry for keeping this one on my mind.

Went to the local today, WT 101 is on sale. Thank you.  A solid pour right now.

• I like it 3

Decided to step up tonight and do a side by side taste test between CEHT small batch and WT101.  Didn't do it blind or anything, just tried to discern the differences.

Learned that all CEHT is BIB, that I can't tell a difference between 100 and 101 proof, that  both have a little spice to them but the WT seemed more balanced to me, and that as good as I feel right now I think my next taste test will be between 3 different bourbons instead of 2.

I'm sure this was extremely helpful to you all, glad to oblige.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

There is nothing special about the difference the bourbon may have from the current bottle. It's just a bottle/label style preference. A lot of us liked the orange cap because it's unique and the biggest champion of said orange cap was Harry who found it easy to find when in the back of the cabinet and hidden by other bottles.

If memory serves, Harry also appreciates the screw cap bottles  over the corked bottles. Because, the screw cap can removed silently, vs the distinctive POP! of a cork being removed from the bottle. Thus making an "undercover" pour possible as to avoid the sharp ears of Mrs. Harry. 

A great tip for us all. 

Yet another reason why Harry is Our Bourbonian of The Year!

Congrats & Cheers Harry!

• I like it 8

I'm having a local store pick of KC SB tonight, chocolate goodness.... Man I'm going to miss these 14, 15 year KC's 

• I like it 2

I’m doing a side by side of Russell’s Reserve and Kentucky Spirit, both from Rickhouse A.  Both really good, and only a few barrels apart.  Interestingly, the Kentucky Spirit is one of the darker colored bourbons from the Kentucky Spirit I’ve tried.  If anyone is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I'd recommend picking them up from Haskell's (I've been through a bottle of the Russell's Reserve already, and went back and picked another up).

The Russell's Reserve is 9 years, 8 months, 11 days old, and one of the better picks in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that I've had over the last few years.  Haskell's had a few other barrel picks from Rickhouse B, and D, which were good as well, but I think they are sold out.

3568D1E3-F4EE-4720-9A9A-E094AC156568.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.