What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying tonight just about the last of my Peerless Bourbon,  a four-plus year old single barrel from the Pennsy State Stores.    Boy did it age well.    A Dixieland jazz band of flavors,  I did a blind comparo tonight with Little Book 3.    The Peerless was its match.    The Little Book displayed the smoothness of age and fine blending,   and the Peerless played At the Jazz Band Ball.

'til we meet again, some sunny day.  

Some AA for the first time. Not a fan.. granted its not the AA10star..but pretty bland. Shoulda gone with the Bakers7

• I like it 1

Snagged the 4RSmBS today, so I decided to do a sbs with a similarly priced, fairly closely proofed, also NCF pour. I had the 4R at a friend's house a few months ago, and I remember liking it. 

Tonight it's as good if not better than I remember. Going into tonight I felt like NR SiB needs at least 2-4 more years, and this sbs confirms that. 

4R, thank you for keeping my Lawrenceburg love burning. 

20200318_210522.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Sime "baby Blanton's" tonight. 

20200318_204244.jpg

I picked up plastic handle of AAA 10 star and enjoying it.  It is what it is and doesn't pretend to be more.  

But what am I drinking? … anything I can get my hand around the fastest.

With a milestone birthday looming in the near future,  I dug through the 4R, looking for something special.

I rarely drink from this bottle.

8y,4m OESQ that really is as dark as it looks in the photo.  Selected with the help of Mr. Rutledge himself, 2 months prior to “retirement”.

Literally one of the best 4R PS that I’ve ever tasted.

99236AE5-A262-41C9-87D3-E72B6F49890E.jpeg

• I like it 8

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

With a milestone birthday looming in the near future,  I dug through the 4R, looking for something special.

I rarely drink from this bottle.

8y,4m OESQ that really is as dark as it looks in the photo.  Selected with the help of Mr. Rutledge himself, 2 months prior to “retirement”.

Literally one of the best 4R PS that I’ve ever tasted.

99236AE5-A262-41C9-87D3-E72B6F49890E.jpeg

Cheers to an early birthday. 

I love the Q yeast. 

• I like it 2

Last night's sip & smoke.  This Maisano’s Chocolate Cherry pick didn’t do much for me the first time I cracked it.  Think it had more to do with the fact that we tasted 3-4 higher proof bourbons before we got around to it.  It was just very subtle & didn’t have enough flavor.  Wasn't the case last night.  Really enjoyed it. 

F455C32E-35B1-42F5-B0B8-F44C4DB973A1.jpeg

9EAE8E4B-27D7-4952-83FF-3FE93B36B3AC.jpeg

• I like it 2

Guru,

Since you asked about the spiral staircase in the background of my pic, It does come with a story.  When we bought this house in 2001, there was a door out of the master bedroom that opened into what the previous owners has designate as whirlpool/jacuzzi room (no drain in floor but water outlets so I don' think they though that through very well/we call it the Sunroom ).  There were no stairs so there was a 13 foot drop out of the door. MY wife and I decided to put in a spiral staircase for access from that room to our bedroom.  SO we ordered a kit from a company in Chicago the specializes in this sort of thing and it came on an 18 wheeler delivered to the bottom of my driveway.  I then had to move all 800lbs of the parts to Sunroom.  it came with a a VHS tape showing how to install the staircase that featured the "Furniture Guys".  On the day of the install, my wife and I would watch a portion, then complete that part before watching the next part.  It took all day but she and I got it installed.  As I told her afterward, I now am an expert in installing these staircases but never plan to install another one. Keep in mind that the aluminum tube that forms the handle did not com predrilled so every hole to attach it and to drilled and tapped.  It took us another week of evenings to complete that process.  Then it was time to paint.  The instructions were to us an oil based paint which not that common anymore.  I went to Menards and bought my paint and was assured that it was oil based.  It turned out to be latex and you could scrap it off with your fingernail.  I then went to Lowes and they actually were able to tint some oil based paint to something close to matching the floor tile.  This room is now our beach room and in the winter time when I am missing the out of doors, I sit in there with No Shoes Radio on and have a drink.  

If anyone has the bright idea of doing one of these, I would suggest the they seek profession help( for installation not of the psychiatric type).  At the time, we could find no one in our area to install one of these.  If i recall, the cost of the staircase was roughly $2K.  So NO, it does not go to a secret tower or bourbon stash room.  That is elsewhere in the house.

IMG_0832.jpeg

• I like it 6

@StarSurfer55 ,

ahh yes, I know those type of staircases.

My wife’s uncle installed one in his vacation home, going to a loft above a garage.

He’s an experienced contractor and said he will NEVER do it again.

He left his black/aluminum.

I assumed yours were wood, based on color.  You did a nice job on them!

There’s still time to hide bourbon up there, ask Harry if you need help.?

Guru, the damn thing was iron and while it didn’t weigh a ton it actually did weigh 800 lbs. I will never do one again either. 

Having some 14.5y KC store pick from a locale store. This was from about 3 years ago. Very good pick. 

Harry,

I know a lot people complain about the size of willet pot still bottles but as far as I am concerned it is worth the space. 

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 1

22 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Harry,

I know a lot people complain about the size of willet pot still bottles but as far as I am concerned it is worth the space. 

THX.  That really old one I just finished off was surprisingly good, and you and other tasters of the most recent releases seemed to like what's available.  GOOD news for me is - the store I saw it in has sent out emails offering delivery OR curbside pickup.  I'll opt for delivery and give the driver a good tip.  It's the place I get my OGD BIB, so I may replenish THAT supply as well.

Harry,  

anyway that you can get the bourbon Fairy to visit is a good thing. I don’t have a home delivery service in my area. 

jeff

On 3/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, Clueby said:

Sime "baby Blanton's" tonight. 

20200318_204244.jpg

My personal problem with AAA is - it only comes in handles here AND I drink it like water so a handle only lasts for hours.B)

• I like it 2

Watching Superman on TV, while enjoying The  Superman of Bourbon in my glass.

George T Stagg.

Cheers

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

My personal problem with AAA is - it only comes in handles here AND I drink it like water so a handle only lasts for hours.B)

Doesn't come in any form here. Was brought back from out of state.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.