What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

41 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Birthday presents from the wife. The Funk is fantastic.

F03C2EB9-AA22-4468-B9AA-B621185F9910.jpeg

What is the rick/barrel info on the front lower label?

The recent OESQ picks from warehouse T have been fantastic.

15 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Picked up the last of my winter allocation bottles today...

20200103_204034.jpg

That Yellowstone must be really freaking good!

it's almost half gone.  ?

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, DEH1212 said:

Yes, it's a 45$ Buffalo Trace Bourbon SB and I have not had a chance to buy.  In this market get it while you can. 

In this market, when newer members buy a bottle they know nothing about and then come here to ask for opinions on it, we suspect they are fishing for info to use for flipping.

I'm not saying that's you. What I'm saying is that we get this a lot and that this is what it looks like.

You have four of them. Open one and find out for yourself. Opening them is why we do this. If the fear of not liking it and being out $45 is too much than I would say that you are here for the wrong reasons.

• I like it 9

48 minutes ago, BourbonTexan said:

If you like other BT products with similar mashbills then you will like Hancock at $45.

if not let me know and I’ll pay you $65 a bottle plus shipping ?

I get that this post is in jest but we do have a strict non selling and trading policy on this site so this kind of post needs to be refrained from. It may not seem like a big deal to you but one post like this that does not get addressed leads to others like it and b/s/t is not what this site is about.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

This is the first time I've ever seen W12 just sitting on the shelf in California.  $90 is still too much but I bought it anyway, figured I have to try it sometime.

Here in the Bay Area I have NEVER seen W12 on the shelf, even at high mark up - at least not in the last 12 years I've been into bourbon.  If I saw it at $90, I would have bought it too - just to be able to say that I had one.  Kind of on my bucket list.  I know I could get it on secondary but I don't want to participate in that...

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

What is the rick/barrel info on the front lower label?

The recent OESQ picks from warehouse T have been fantastic.

So you’re saying it’s great that I have this and a backup?

E20C7D42-2DDB-40AF-86EA-F355042459A3.jpeg

Edited by mal00768

29 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Here in the Bay Area I have NEVER seen W12 on the shelf, even at high mark up - at least not in the last 12 years I've been into bourbon.  If I saw it at $90, I would have bought it too - just to be able to say that I had one.  Kind of on my bucket list.  I know I could get it on secondary but I don't want to participate in that...

Honestly, and in my opinion only , its so not worth the hype W12). I have a bottle and I got to 107 all day long .  I got mine for $46 Canadian and would pay that but not more . 

Was able to grab 4 Hancock Reserves and a BT SBS.

Not had the Hancock is it any good?  I am a fan of ETL, Balnton and RHF and same mash bill right?
20200104_093335.thumb.jpg.53b0aacec41135343bd05179106e6c55.jpg

Same MB#2 on the Hanncock’s yes. I think it suffers from the low proof as that MB shines at higher proof but not bad and worth buying. Some speak of a pear influence on some barrels but I haven’t been as lucky.

For my taste I would of got four of the BT SBS and one of the Hanncock’s but that’s just me.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

So you’re saying it’s great that I have this and a backup?

E20C7D42-2DDB-40AF-86EA-F355042459A3.jpeg

Well, I don't know about that specific barrel myself, but I'm guessing you might be in for a treat.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:56 AM, parksmart said:

OK, this is not going to be your typical pickup.  Got a unicorn of unicorns IMO.........

E583D372-2B40-4A58-A6AA-768219C3BEBD.thumb.jpeg.197a4338dd06c829109fdd5d0e4036a0.jpeg

Good looking bottle.  Enjoy.

Really like the logo on that.

Next time , could you please leave the logo on the steering wheel out of the pics(or block it with the bottle),  so I can at least have a guess at it.

Guessing the vehicle from car crotch shots is a favorite game of mine.  :)

On 1/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, parksmart said:

OK, this is not going to be your typical pickup.  Got a unicorn of unicorns IMO.........

E583D372-2B40-4A58-A6AA-768219C3BEBD.thumb.jpeg.197a4338dd06c829109fdd5d0e4036a0.jpeg93E964AE-B79B-43CE-AD46-B2EA5985AD04.thumb.jpeg.83ac9c8c900bdc841cc76f5f45a1026e.jpeg

On 1/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, parksmart said:

Private sale.  Seller said it belonged to a relative who had passed away recently.  Seller was definitely not an aficionado, much less a tater.  I got to smell and taste before buying it.  If this is a refill, then the blender could make a fortune refilling bottles of PVW.  

I want to clarify...you say you got to taste it before buying, which means one of two things:

1)  The seller broke a sealed bottle of Old Fitz from 1956 with no guarantee you would buy, thus completely negating the collectible value of the bottle? or...

2)  The seal was already broken, and you bought an OPEN bottle from 1956 based on taste?

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Next time , could you please leave the logo on the steering wheel out of the pics(or block it with the bottle),  so I can at least have a guess at it.

Guessing the vehicle from car crotch shots is a favorite game of mine.  :)

This is so funny.  I thought I was the only one who did that.  ?

• I like it 2

Yes, it's a 45$ Buffalo Trace Bourbon SB and I have not had a chance to buy.  In this market get it while you can. 

That whooshing sound is the point flying by....
  • I like it 3

5 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Wait...$45 for BT store pick?? 750ml? :huh:

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I get that this post is in jest but we do have a strict non selling and trading policy on this site so this kind of post needs to be refrained from. It may not seem like a big deal to you but one post like this that does not get addressed leads to others like it and b/s/t is not what this site is about.

Sorry, was meant as a joke but I can see where It could be taken a different way 

• I like it 1

@smokinjoe @0895

Glad I'm not the only one too. Honestly, I've become more interested in kitchen setup/layout lately and have been scouting for ideas based on bourbon pics.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, jwperry said:

@smokinjoe @0895

Glad I'm not the only one too. Honestly, I've become more interested in kitchen setup/layout lately and have been scouting for ideas based on bourbon pics.

? now that’s hilarious!

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Wait...$45 for BT store pick?? 750ml? :huh:

I think he was justifying why he bought 4 qty. Hancock’s reserve without ever having tasted it.

Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the 6yr 90 proof HH.

I'm excited to have another 10yr+ OESK. It's not my favorite recipe, but it's always fantastic. 

20200104_200513.jpg

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

I want to clarify...you say you got to taste it before buying, which means one of two things:

1)  The seller broke a sealed bottle of Old Fitz from 1956 with no guarantee you would buy, thus completely negating the collectible value of the bottle? or...

2)  The seal was already broken, and you bought an OPEN bottle from 1956 based on taste?

Seller told me they dropped the bottle recently, and the tax stamp seal got broken as a result.  The top of the bowling pin is kind of a funky design, as the “wings” at the top do not actually open or close the bottle itself.  There is a dent/tear in the plastic of one of the wings, so the story seems plausible enough.

Smell and taste passed the test from my perspective.  I have plans to share samples with a few buddies who’ve been very generous with their bourbon collections, so there will be some learned palates to verify or cast doubt on the juice in there.......

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Seller told me they dropped the bottle recently, and the tax stamp seal got broken as a result.  The top of the bowling pin is kind of a funky design, as the “wings” at the top do not actually open or close the bottle itself.  There is a dent/tear in the plastic of one of the wings, so the story seems plausible enough.

Smell and taste passed the test from my perspective.  I have plans to share samples with a few buddies who’ve been very generous with their bourbon collections, so there will be some learned palates to verify or cast doubt on the juice in there.......

Cool. I’m sure there are a few here who would also have taken the risk.

6 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

Who are you.  F&@$in’ Perry Mason? 

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Who are you.  F&@$in’ Perry Mason? 

Was honestly trying to understand...seems like a risky proposition to buy and drink liquid from a 1956 bottle with a broken seal.  Classy response on your part, though.

9 minutes ago, sbsbsb said:

Was honestly trying to understand...seems like a risky proposition to buy and drink liquid from a 1956 bottle with a broken seal.  Classy response on your part, though.

Honestly......yup...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.