What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Honestly......yup...

I'm not following you at all...it seems as if you have a bone to pick with me.  Am I misinterpreting?  If so, I'm sorry.  If not, let's air it out via PM.

To get the thread back on topic, I went and snagged the last case of Old Grand Dad BiB 1L that were marked down.  My friends who’ve bought bottles have been consuming these at a rapid clip, and are asking to reload.  For $15 all-in for a 1L, it’s a helluva bargain.

102B6AB1-AB4A-4327-A5EE-24DC6F2525AB.thumb.jpeg.2c436e319abfa3e95cb7550e91563362.jpeg

• I like it 10

9 minutes ago, parksmart said:

To get the thread back on topic, I went and snagged the last case of Old Grand Dad BiB 1L that were marked down.  My friends who’ve bought bottles have been consuming these at a rapid clip, and are asking to reload.  For $15 all-in for a 1L, it’s a helluva bargain.

102B6AB1-AB4A-4327-A5EE-24DC6F2525AB.thumb.jpeg.2c436e319abfa3e95cb7550e91563362.jpeg

Well done.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

That would probably mess with my zen as well.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:19 AM, The Black Tot said:

Just tell us. You're going to get the hate mail anyway.

You guys are tough.

2016-01, Bluegrass batch was not a fave.  I had three (was a purchase deal).  Opened & finished one back then.  Moved the other two to a dark bunker corner after I tasted 2016-03 Toogie's and forgot about them.  Recently opened and finished a Dot's Batch (2015-02) which I loved BTW and decided the BlueB would be next as part of my ongoing bunker reduction.  Tasted but was disappointed (well, not overwhelmed) and recalled a recent TBT comment that JBB added to Booker's sometimes rounds off the Booker's corners.  Still working on a ratio for the BlueB+JBB, but so far I like the blend better as I creep up from 0.25 JBB to 1 BlueB.  JUST had a thought - the average cost of the blend sure makes buying a current Booker's more attractive.  I could buy one at MSRP, taste it, and use it w/JBB if it doesn't satisfy.

51 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

2016-01, Bluegrass batch was not a fave.

I felt the same way about Bluegrass.

There - was that so bad?

Those who are still off work, please spare a moment this Sunday eve to whip up some hate mail for Harry.

Edit: What I've learned this week is you can sass anything in the world of bourbon here, but heaven help you if you joke about Bulgarian plum brandy.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 5

19 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Edit: What I've learned this week is you can sass anything in the world of bourbon here, but heaven help you if you joke about Bulgarian plum brandy.

I will never be mistaken for knowledgeable about international spirits so, I ask this with a straight face, and no motive other than the desire of an answer to this question....

Is Bulgarian Plum Brandy anything like Slivovitz?   (Many years ago I had a buddy whose heritage included Slovenian and Slav, so that is one international spirit with which I'm unfortunately too familiar.)

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I will never be mistaken for knowledgeable about international spirits so, I ask this with a straight face, and no motive other than the desire of an answer to this question....

Is Bulgarian Plum Brandy anything like Slivovitz?   (Many years ago I had a buddy whose heritage included Slovenian and Slav, so that is one international spirit with which I'm unfortunately too familiar.)

Yes it is - Now be quiet before you get us in trouble!

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Just to be clear -- plum brandy IS slivovitz (distilled, fermented plum juice).  However, do not confuse it with "meijiu" which is Chinese plum wine (alcohol flavored by steeping mashed plums in it).  They are totally different but comparably like drinking a fruity, slightly syrupy alcohol-infused aperitif.  An acquired taste?  Possibly, but in 50+ years of tasting them on and off (mostly off, thankfully) I have not developed the taste unless it's late at night and nothing else is available or potable.  OTOH, as I originally posted, slivovitz is a great way to "protect" yourself from possible sickness if you find yourself in a country that serves furry meat because they have nothing else.  ASIDE - A good time was had by all.  We even had a taxi race back to the hotel after the dancing was done in Bulgaria.  In China, I was with my wife, so we behaved ourselves.  Would I ever buy it?  Nope.

• I like it 3

What did I just walk into here??? :lol:

Anyways...  Here’s some vaca pickups.  Probably wouldn’t have grabbed a couple of these under normal circumstances, but I was in Orlando & you spend money when you’re in Orlando. :P

I’m curious to try this Larceny store pick.  I’ve seen a couple different ones on social media, but never had come across one. 

9B3157EA-AFD2-4904-B1F9-FC6C4FB12376.jpeg

• I like it 3

Bought OBSV and OBSF store picks, Russell Reserve Single Barrel (Liquor Barn pick), and a couple bottles of Willett 4 year Rye. 

Just to be clear -- plum brandy IS slivovitz (distilled, fermented plum juice).  However, do not confuse it with "meijiu" which is Chinese plum wine (alcohol flavored by steeping mashed plums in it).  They are totally different but comparably like drinking a fruity, slightly syrupy alcohol-infused aperitif.  An acquired taste?  Possibly, but in 50+ years of tasting them on and off (mostly off, thankfully) I have not developed the taste unless it's late at night and nothing else is available or potable.  OTOH, as I originally posted, slivovitz is a great way to "protect" yourself from possible sickness if you find yourself in a country that serves furry meat because they have nothing else.  ASIDE - A good time was had by all.  We even had a taxi race back to the hotel after the dancing was done in Bulgaria.  In China, I was with my wife, so we behaved ourselves.  Would I ever buy it?  Nope.

Umm, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a Silvowitz? Something with a decent age, good cask, good proof and minimal filtering and no additives?

Maybe I need to hit up Marekv8s cabbie.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:39 PM, parksmart said:

I would have definitely stocked up as well!  I go through OGD BiB probably a little too fast ?      in fact I think I only have one left - need to remedy that soon...

3 hours ago, dboland said:

Bought OBSV and OBSF store picks, Russell Reserve Single Barrel (Liquor Barn pick), and a couple bottles of Willett 4 year Rye. 

Details on those two four roses picks?

thanks!

13 minutes ago, AndyD said:

Details on those two four roses picks?

thanks!

7Y11M on the OBSV and 8Y11M on the OBSF. If I had only known 4-5 years ago that 11+ year ages on these would be going away then I would have bought more. I am okay with it though since they taste good and I tend to use the OBSF more for blending than straight.

27 minutes ago, dboland said:

7Y11M on the OBSV and 8Y11M on the OBSF. If I had only known 4-5 years ago that 11+ year ages on these would be going away then I would have bought more. I am okay with it though since they taste good and I tend to use the OBSF more for blending than straight.

Obsf is my fav of the 10.  Was curious if that one matched any of the others I’ve been seeing.

14 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

What did I just walk into here??? :lol:

Anyways...  Here’s some vaca pickups.  Probably wouldn’t have grabbed a couple of these under normal circumstances, but I was in Orlando & you spend money when you’re in Orlando. :P

I’m curious to try this Larceny store pick.  I’ve seen a couple different ones on social media, but never had come across one. 

9B3157EA-AFD2-4904-B1F9-FC6C4FB12376.jpeg

I’m a big fan of the Larceny store picks if you get them at a good price. I picked up a Binny’s pick (6.5 year old wheater) for $20. Great value IMO and the flavor is much better than the standard Larceny offering.

2 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I’m a big fan of the Larceny store picks if you get them at a good price. I picked up a Binny’s pick (6.5 year old wheater) for $20. Great value IMO and the flavor is much better than the standard Larceny offering.

I think I picked it up for $26

Have no idea where I got this but for some reason I thought the standard Larceny was supposed to be around 9 years.

Have no idea where I got this but for some reason I thought the standard Larceny was supposed to be around 9 years.

28 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Things can do doubt change, but the website indicates Larceny is intended to have a... “...taste profile of a six-year-old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey”.

That said, I remember some conversations early on that it was not simply a mingling of 6ish yr old barrels.  Rather, it had some much older barrels (high teens promoted)) involved to get this.  Consequently (though not promoted) <6 yr was involved.  

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Things can do doubt change, but the website indicates Larceny is intended to have a... “...taste profile of a six-year-old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey”.

That said, I remember some conversations early on that it was not simply a mingling of 6ish yr old barrels.  Rather, it had some much older barrels (high teens promoted)) involved to get this.  Consequently (though not promoted) <6 yr was involved.  

Is also my recollection.  A few years ago at Whisky Fest Wash DC, HH's booth was giving out little "antiqued" brass locks (with a key) to promote Larceny along with tastes of EC 18 and 23 (of which I got my fair share).  While talking to them about Ritt and the then-new Pikesville ( Me - "Will they cannibalize?" ANS -"No.  Pikesville will switch to higher proof only, and Ritt's really for the cocktail market."), I asked about Old Fitz vs. Larceny.  I was told by whomever (some guy who said he helped in the blending and launch of Pikesville) that Larceny would be a blend of much older stock with "over four year old" new stock.  Of course, I asked about the proportions.  He just smiled and asked, "What do you think they'll be?"  Then, I finished my obligatory Larceny sample and continued my circuit of booths.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks for posting this Joe. I seem to remember hearing somewhere there was possibly some 10-12 yr in the mix back when it was introduced. (Hence the beginning of the demise of the 12 yr Old Fitz maybe?)

This is just my opinion, but I doubt this is the case nowadays. Being a Weller/wheater whore, I bought a bottle of Larceny when it first came out. I liked it, so over time, I bought a few more. Then I drifted away from it, ‘cause that’s what happens in this hobby. :mellow: When I decided to go back and visit it again, it just wasn’t the same. A few folks here had commented on how good it was, so I bought a bottle. Mehhhh. Tried it at a bar a little while later, mehhh. Waited a while and bought another bottle. Again, mehhh. Something had changed, and not for the better. I haven’t been back since. Just sayin’. YMMV.

Biba! Joe

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

[HinWDC snipped some -to save bandwidth] This is just my opinion, but I doubt this is the case nowadays. Being a Weller/wheater whore, I bought a bottle of Larceny when it first came out. I liked it, so over time, I bought a few more. Then I drifted away from it, ‘cause that’s what happens in this hobby. :mellow: When I decided to go back and visit it again, it just wasn’t the same. A few folks here had commented on how good it was, so I bought a bottle. Mehhhh. Tried it at a bar a little while later, mehhh. Waited a while and bought another bottle. Again, mehhh. Something had changed, and not for the better. I haven’t been back since. Just sayin’. YMMV.

Biba! Joe

I am not a Weller/wheater "puta", and I think you are spot on.  I don't buy it anymore.  But when some new "wheated" hits the market, I do buy one just in case . . .

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.