What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The barreled date at the bottom says 3/16/12 on this one.  Damn I should have bought two! :D

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Umm, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a Silvowitz? Something with a decent age, good cask, good proof and minimal filtering and no additives?

I hear the domain name for www.straightslivovitz.com is available. ...could this be your calling?

I hear the domain name for www.straightslivovitz.com is available. ...could this be your calling?

Yeah gotta get in before it’s the next rum. Hopefully Fred Minnick isn’t reading this.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah gotta get in before it’s the next rum. Hopefully Fred Minnick isn’t reading this.

He is a member here so you better get on it quick.

8 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I’m a big fan of the Larceny store picks if you get them at a good price. I picked up a Binny’s pick (6.5 year old wheater) for $20. Great value IMO and the flavor is much better than the standard Larceny offering.

I picked up 2 different binnys larceny sb 6 yr pics at 19.99 each. finished off one, thought it was pretty good, especially for that price. its been several yrs since i had a bottle of larceny, probably over 5 yrs, & i thought it tasted too young back then. this sb was much better.

• I like it 1

Traveled down to peoria, picked up another HW 2x Rye SB pic finished in scotch barrel at a binnys in the sticks. Really enjoyed the first bottle - spicey & smokey.

Stopped at several other stores but saw nothing. Oh, and I skipped friar tucks.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks for posting this Joe. I seem to remember hearing somewhere there was possibly some 10-12 yr in the mix back when it was introduced. (Hence the beginning of the demise of the 12 yr Old Fitz maybe?)

This is just my opinion, but I doubt this is the case nowadays. Being a Weller/wheater whore, I bought a bottle of Larceny when it first came out. I liked it, so over time, I bought a few more. Then I drifted away from it, ‘cause that’s what happens in this hobby. :mellow: When I decided to go back and visit it again, it just wasn’t the same. A few folks here had commented on how good it was, so I bought a bottle. Mehhhh. Tried it at a bar a little while later, mehhh. Waited a while and bought another bottle. Again, mehhh. Something had changed, and not for the better. I haven’t been back since. Just sayin’. YMMV.

Biba! Joe

Biba! Joe

I think it changed as well. The first bottle I had years ago when it first came out was good. The next one I picked up a year or so later was not nearly as good as I remembered it. Very harsh for a wheater. I haven’t bought one until this barrel pick, which is much much better than the last. More like the first one I picked up if not better. It was good enough that I went back and picked up a second for $20. 

Here's my lottery "win" from yesterday. 

Re Larceny, I tried it when it first came out. Didn't like it much then. I didn't think it tasted at all like Old Fitz BIB which it should have been really similar to. It tasted strongly of acetone and had none of the spearminty-ness of OFBIB. I waited about 6 months and tried again. Still nope. I recently had some from a HH sample box and it was better than I remember.  But then, the EC and EWSB in that box also seem to be from honey batches/barrels.

20200106_192914-784x1613.jpg

23 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Umm, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a Silvowitz? Something with a decent age, good cask, good proof and minimal filtering and no additives?

Maybe I need to hit up Marekv8s cabbie.

Clear Creek Distillery here in Oregon makes a Blue Plum Brandy/Slivovitz that I enjoyed...though it's the only one I've had so I can't speak to how it compares to others.  Their Pinot Noir grappa is also tasty.

• I like it 1

Clear Creek Distillery here in Oregon makes a Blue Plum Brandy/Slivovitz that I enjoyed...though it's the only one I've had so I can't speak to how it compares to others.  Their Pinot Noir grappa is also tasty.

Seems interesting but I’m looking for barrel aged.

Last night, I polished off a 1792 BIB that was gifted to me for Christmas.  Today, I promptly purchased its replacement. 

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Last night, I polished off a 1792 BIB that was gifted to me for Christmas.  Today, I promptly purchased its replacement. 

I love the this whiskey.  

Picked up some bottles on vacation that I haven't seen in Virginia.  I'm happy to hear the previous couple posters like 1792 BIB.  I'm looking forward to trying it.

20200104_185503.thumb.jpg.62592387dbf6ec21c23e3e5c5e024e04.jpg

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, afmadd said:

Picked up some bottles on vacation that I haven't seen in Virginia.  I'm happy to hear the previous couple posters like 1792 BIB.  I'm looking forward to trying it.

20200104_185503.thumb.jpg.62592387dbf6ec21c23e3e5c5e024e04.jpg

That is one hell of a kitchen set in the back.  Top-notch sir!  

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 6

Got a good heads up today.  Looking forward to this one.  Heard good things so far. 

9E9D59B4-53FD-48CB-9C27-4F9F33A96612.jpeg

• I like it 3

Sometimes it pays to browse.  Small store with good prices that sometimes surprises me, but I don’t get to it often.  Checking for Bakers 13 (haha haha as if) and saw one ECBP C919 for $60.  Manager suggested I come back tomorrow as they expect a delivery in the AM, and Beam products are on the list but there are no guarantees of what’s going to show up. 

Dare I?  CAN I?  I have the EC now.  Do I need to drive back?  Life is tough.

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Isn’t it great to be retired and have nothing more pressing to decide than whether to go shopping or not? ;) 

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Isn’t it great to be retired and have nothing more pressing to decide than whether to go shopping or not? ;) 

YOU HAVE NO IDEA (unless you, too, are retired) how stressful it is to make these decisions.  When I was working, I got paid to do so, and so I did.  But when it's on MY dime, I am jelly.  Uh, I do have the store's phone number, though.

3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Got a good heads up today.  Looking forward to this one.  Heard good things so far. 

9E9D59B4-53FD-48CB-9C27-4F9F33A96612.jpeg

I heard they call it poor man's pappy. (ok I'll stop spamming my unsolicited dry humor now) I'm genuinely interested in hearing about this one, I came to enjoy Larceny a lot lately. What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA (unless you, too, are retired) 

First of the year so I'm a rookie at this.  ?

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, DCFan said:

First of the year so I'm a rookie at this.  ?

Congrats.  Several years ago, my retired neighbor across the street heard I was retiring and told me,  "Don't go to the Post Office and the grocery store on the same day.  Both have lines.  Instead, go to one and THEN go someplace you want to go."  HENCE, a Post Office trip means I then go to one of several spirits sellers.  OR, my car needs inspecting, so I will go to the inspection station (which in WashDC is across town from me) on TUES at 9AM and then hit two or four stores on the way home, pickng up lunch at the last one which has a deli to "explain" how long it took.

Pay attention, Grasshopper.  These StraightBourbon pages contain ALL the secrets of Life.:D

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I heard they call it poor man's pappy. (ok I'll stop spamming my unsolicited dry humor now) I'm genuinely interested in hearing about this one, I came to enjoy Larceny a lot lately. What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

$49.99 good sir

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Sometimes it pays to browse.  Small store with good prices that sometimes surprises me, but I don’t get to it often.  Checking for Bakers 13 (haha haha as if) and saw one ECBP C919 for $60.  Manager suggested I come back tomorrow as they expect a delivery in the AM, and Beam products are on the list but there are no guarantees of what’s going to show up. 

The Bakers 13y is pretty darn good.

I'd go back for one.... after work of course.  ?

Got this lovely bottle in today. Private group barrel pick that I can't wait to break into. When it finally shipped, the group received 12 CASES less than what was estimated. Was hoping to get 3 bottles, only got 1, which I am lucky to have.

R2na5vz.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.