What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

Couldn't hold out any longer and finally made my first purchases of 2020. Found 2 bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat that I quickly snatched up. I have been looking for this expression from 1792 ever since it came out and finally tracked some down. Now all I need is the 12yr. Can't wait to try it.

Let us know how it is.  I've read that it's not as good as the first release but I hope that's not true.  I've never tried SW but see it pop up on K&L's web site occasionally. 

• I like it 1

Picked up a M10yr single barrel this afternoon. Although I still think this is overpriced, the 2 other times I’ve had the opportunity to try this I really enjoyed it. 

12F3D259-B8AC-4729-AAF1-334B96B200CF.jpeg

• I like it 3

47 minutes ago, markandrex said:

OK, I’m weak.  24 days in and caved.

EB25399D-1F79-4BFC-BC02-53D8EFF1C54D.jpeg

Nice!  You wont regret the Decades at all.  I missed the OF15, but have heard it's a winner as well!

• I like it 1

On 1/21/2020 at 12:05 PM, Old Dusty said:

Vacation exuberance caused me to buy two Blanton’s SFTB. Can’t get it at home and I have myself convinced it’s really the 6th BTAC

It's the Pappy of Blanton's.

• I like it 4

This may be rather mundane, but yesterday a bought a Blantons and a Weller SR at the state of Michigan minimum price.  I haven't seen either at the minimum price in several years.

The most recent prices were >100%  over state minimum price for WSR and >50% for Blantons.

I don't mind paying up a bit but more than double the price, I'm out.

Crazy how distribution works. In Texas WSR is one of the most available bourbons on the market. When you want to pick up a pint it’s usually the most reliable thing behind the register counter. I usually want to get EW Black as it’s $1 cheaper but comes inside a plastic bottle vs. glass for WSR. As I usually keep this in the car for the trips to the ice house depending on the weather I’ll go for the WSR.

IMG_8840.jpg
  • I like it 3

Technically I didn’t purchase it, I traded one of my Henry McKenna BIB for it.  I haven’t tried it yet though.  

Just toclarify, I am referring to the bourbon not that cat. ?

E05E0017-206A-4A80-938F-148E589A3B40.jpeg

• I like it 7

So much for New Years Res...

Hemmed and hawed and finally bit the bullet - the Murray Hill was on the clearance shelf for $70.  While I've generally been less-than-impressed with my handful of purchases that exceeded the $60 mark (in value for the $$, not quality), I opted to chance it again.   Yet to crack it - anyone got a comment (positive preferrably) on MHC batch 9?

Was kinda Jones'n for the Pikesville after discussions elsewhere, and not pictured was a lonely bottle of 1792 HR - felt sorry for it and brought it home to join some brothers from the same shop from several months ago.

Oh, and two more slightly dusty JBDS 7yr that I needed like a hole in the head, but it and JBDC are Beams I actually like - well, KC sib PS ranks well too but haven't seen one lately that makes me go Ooooh...

Resizer_15799807300360.jpg

• I like it 4

On 1/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, markandrex said:

OK, I’m weak.  24 days in and caved.

EB25399D-1F79-4BFC-BC02-53D8EFF1C54D.jpeg

@markandrex, you're weak, yes, but in the best way possible! I've really been enjoying my bottle of Old Fitz 15 year. I've been on the lookout for WT Decades, but have yet to find it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

On 1/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, The Black Tot said:

It's the Pappy of Blanton's.

Exactly.  Listen to the Tot.  Chase that hot mess labeled SFTB...

Keep them taters off the "gold" train brother!

Nice work!

?

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Exactly.  Listen to the Tot.  Chase that hot mess labeled SFTB...

Keep them taters off the "gold" train brother!

Nice work!

?

Every once in a while, I pop the top on an SFTB and judiciously use an eyedropper to gently find my way to the "Sweet Spot".  It can be a truly ethereal  if you have the patience.  But not ME - I get bored after a drop or two and just enjoy the ride . . . . . . .  ?

• I like it 2

another binnys 15% off coupon yesterday. grabbed one of their JD SBS pics. looking forward to opening it. i was gonna open my '19 JD HB, but will probably wait a little longer on that.

• I like it 1

A big Thank You to CUfan99 for his pic of RRSiB last night in the What Are You Drinking thread. I have been looking for store picks around Atlanta with no success but coincidentally had to go near that area today and was able to grab a couple and W.B. Saffell which I have not seen on the shelves by me. Both smell great and are about to hit the glass.

Thank you!IMG_20200126_133038.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

another binnys 15% off coupon yesterday. grabbed one of their JD SBS pics. looking forward to opening it. i was gonna open my '19 JD HB, but will probably wait a little longer on that.

That is what I intended on using my coupon for, but my location was out of them. Hope its good.

5 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

My timing, as is sometimes the case, sucks. I was at Binny’s last Saturday, and really could have used a 15% off coupon. :mellow: 

Biba! Joe

On 1/23/2020 at 9:05 PM, Kepler said:

Has anyone done a direct comparison to the George Dickel Bottled in Bond 13 year yet?

So, we just did a compare of these two and the nose is nearly identical but the palate is where things differ. The flavor starts off similar enough,  but the Smooth Ambler has a bit richer oak influence.  From there, the finish of the BiB goes flintstones vitamin and the SA goes to a super rich butter flavor.

All in all, its crazy how similar and different they are, especially when the SA is cask strength at 44% ABV. I have no doubt that played into the increase in flavor intensity. 

20200126_201045.jpg

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

So, we just did a compare of these two and the nose is nearly identical but the palate is where things differ. The flavor starts off similar enough,  but the Smooth Ambler has a bit richer oak influence.  From there, the finish of the BiB goes flintstones vitamin and the SA goes to a super rich butter flavor.

All in all, its crazy how similar and different they are, especially when the SA is cask strength at 44% ABV. I have no doubt that played into the increase in flavor intensity. 

20200126_201045.jpg

So no vitamin in the SAOS?

23 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I have a 13yr 50.1% and it’s pretty mineraly. No mistaking the Dickel. 

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

None whatsoever. If I didn't know better, I'd say this wasn't Dickel. But, it is a single barrel product,  so YMMV

1 hour ago, clearmoon247 said:

20200126_201045.jpg

I tried the Dickel BIB after hearing all the praise. Yep..its Dickel. I could smell the vitamins from 5 feet away. I just can't do Dickel at all.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

20200126_201045.jpg

Thanks for doing the SBS and for sharing your results.  I have been curious about that.  I have some of the Dickel BiB but I was wondering about the SAOS since I didn't ever buy one.   

It sounds like the SA is  pretty good stuff.  Thanks

15 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I had one bottle of the 13 year and thought it was laden with vitamin.  Would have loved to have been lucky and gotten a bottle with none.

I have not yet tried the BiB. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.