What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a bottle of Dant BIB today. Nothing fancy of course, but $16 for a liter  is a worthwhile purchase

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

There was Old Fitzgerald after Very Old Fitzgerald after Very, Very Old Fitzgerald.  But how many have seen Very Extra Old Fitzgerald (in a gift pack with two shot glasses)???

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald.jpg

Says "10 Years Old", " Bottled in Bond", "Bottled in 1956".  Nice gold veined bottle.  I think it was worth a C-note just for the box and glasses, no?   ?

Where’d you pick that up at GeeTen?

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

There was Old Fitzgerald after Very Old Fitzgerald after Very, Very Old Fitzgerald.  But how many have seen Very Extra Old Fitzgerald (in a gift pack with two shot glasses)???

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald.jpg

Says "10 Years Old", " Bottled in Bond", "Bottled in 1956".  Nice gold veined bottle.  I think it was worth a C-note just for the box and glasses, no?   ?

Soooo are you bringing this to whisky Wednesday tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Where’d you pick that up at GeeTen?

A co-worker of SWMBO was cleaning her grandparent's home before putting the house up for sale.  "Wow - I wonder if Frank would like this!"   Guess it is better to be lucky than good, eh?   ?

• I like it 7

1 minute ago, mal00768 said:

Soooo are you bringing this to whisky Wednesday tomorrow?

No - you animals would just drink it up without as much as a "How do you do!"    ?

Ok, now I feel so, so  . . . . . . .  dirty.   ?

Just did some research online about the Very Extra Old Fitzgerald bottle.  Barreled in 1956, bottled in 1966.  Distilled by legendary Julian (Pappy) Van Winkle I at the Stitzel-Weller distillery and bottled a year after his death by his son, Julian Van Winkle II.  Presented in a felt-lined lock-and-key box with two (2) 1oz. glasses.

Recently went for 3,600 pounds (can't get special characters to work) or $4,630 +/- at auction in May, 2018 without the key (I don't have the key either).

So, I called my wife's friend and asked for my money back, letting them know what I've found out about their bottle, and offered to take them to Skinner's Auctions to put the whole she-bang under the hammer.  I could have kept the bottle for myself but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it or drinking the whiskey.  I know, I know - I'm such a wimp.  But this has got to be some sort of bourbon zen, no?   ?

At least I can sleep easily tonite.   Grandpa Weller's Four Grain over a mint spherical ice cube is also helping ease the pain.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 23

20 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

But this has got to be some sort of bourbon zen, no?   ?

At least I can sleep easily tonite.   Grandpa Weller's Four Grain over a mint spherical ice cube is also helping ease the pain.  ?

Nope. Bourbon Enlightenment. Well done sir. I stick with modern releases and never would have thought it was that much!

Now, about this mint ice. We talking a whole leaf frozen in the middle or something like muddling mint in the water to release oils then freezing the “mint water” with no leaves?

9 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Now, about this mint ice. We talking a whole leaf frozen in the middle or something like muddling mint in the water to release oils then freezing the “mint water” with no leaves?

Whole leaf frozen in the middle - but I'm now intrigued with muddling the mint in the water and then freezing.  Might try a "double mint sphere" with both mint water and whole leaf in my next batch.  Thanks for the idea!   And I'm already on to my second GW4G - "Feeling good, Ben."  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Just did some research online about the Very Extra Old Fitzgerald bottle.  Barreled in 1956, bottled in 1966.  Distilled by legendary Julian (Pappy) Van Winkle I at the Stitzel-Weller distillery and bottled a year after his death by his son, Julian Van Winkle II.  Presented in a felt-lined lock-and-key box with two (2) 1oz. glasses.

Recently went for 3,600 pounds (can't get special characters to work) or $4,630 +/- at auction in May, 2018 without the key (I don't have the key either).

So, I called my wife's friend and asked for my money back, letting them know what I've found out about their bottle, and offered to take them to Skinner's Auctions to put the whole she-bang under the hammer.  I could have kept the bottle for myself but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it or drinking the whiskey.  I know, I know - I'm such a wimp.  But this has got to be some sort of bourbon zen, no?   ?

You sir deserve a big "Atta Boy".  

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You sir deserve a big "Atta Boy".  

I agree. Well done sir.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Small issue with the part of your post, I think...  ?

I doubt Pappy ever actually distilled anything.   I'm sure he wouldn't mind having folx give him such credit; and credit is certainly due for what he did accomplish during his career; but it didn't include actually distilling AFAIK.  ?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Small issue with the part of your post, I think...  ?

I doubt Pappy ever actually distilled anything.   I'm sure he wouldn't mind having folx give him such credit; and credit is certainly due for what he did accomplish during his career; but it didn't include actually distilling AFAIK.  ?

Ok, so shoot me. I was only quoting the auction house blurb. Maybe Pappy was just the titular head of S-W at the time, overseeing the Master Distiller?  Yeah, that's the ticket!  ?

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ok, so shoot me. I was only quoting the auction house blurb. Maybe Pappy was just the titular head of S-W at the time, overseeing the Master Distiller?  Yeah, that's the ticket!  ?

I would NEVER wanna 'shoot ya', Frank!!!!!    ? ?

I might however enjoy a 'shot' (which I, and I imagine you as well, would NOT "shoot") of some nice Bourbon!   I might also enjoy yankin' on yer chain a little, too, I guess.   WAIT; 'might?  ? HA!

• I like it 1

JBDC and Old Overholt last week.  Looking forward to cracking them both.

A 2016 batch of Bourye. Well aged MGP rye and bourbon, unfortunately mixed together but you take what you can get sometimes. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You're so cute when you use words like "titular". LOL!

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Moose3218 said:

58F63A1B-5A2C-468E-AFB4-63F5112D6A98.thumb.jpeg.7cc8fd649e6f8a5d290c6a23a93b3fa9.jpeg

Hands down, for 120 proof and $44 you can’t go wrong! 

Its a shame the 15 year picks are disappearing 

On 3/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, GeeTen said:

A co-worker of SWMBO was cleaning her grandparent's home before putting the house up for sale.  "Wow - I wonder if Frank would like this!"   Guess it is better to be lucky than good, eh?   ?

Ended up in the right hands. Congrats on that great find! Do wish you got to enjoy it though.

Edited by FacePlant

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant - an elephant's faithful, 100 per cent!"

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald to Skinners.jpg

?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 11

15 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You're so cute when you use words like "titular". LOL!

And to think - Engrish is not my native tongue!   ?

4 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Ended up in the right hands. Congrats on that great find! Do wish you got to enjoy it though.

Nope, left the seals intact and never got to try it.  Took it to Skinner's this morning for auction later this Spring.   ?

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

You are a gentleman and will be blessed your whole life.  Doing the right thing should never be questioned.

Agreed, great display of integrity, kudos to you!

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And to think - Engrish is not my native tongue!   ?

Nope, left the seals intact and never got to try it.  Took it to Skinner's this morning for auction later this Spring.   ?

I laughed out loud when I read that.

Picked up three OGDBIB 750s in anticipation of staying home for the next two weeks or so.  Now that the NCAA tourneys and Spring Training are suspended, they may not last two weeks.  I may have to dip into my bunkered 114s.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.