Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Happy New Year SB !

Time for a new post, mostly because I love starting this post every year.

What did you finish today?

Gonna miss this Eagle ? Rare.

It’s a 2012 coded bottle.

05095542-E720-4FFB-AF89-78DB70256843.jpeg

• I like it 4

47 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Happy New Year SB !

Time for a new post, mostly because I love starting this post every year.

What did you finish today?

Gonna miss this Eagle ? Rare.

It’s a 2012 coded bottle.

05095542-E720-4FFB-AF89-78DB70256843.jpeg

I finished one of these today as well. This and a bottle of Old Fitz BIB 11yr were both emptied on this first day of 2020. The first 2 of many bottles I hope empty this year. Happy New Years everyone!

• I like it 1

I actually emptied off a newer (non-single barrel) Eagle Rare yesterday as well. It seems to be the trend of the new decade for a 10-year old bourbon.

Last pour of GW4G. I mixed together a few months back. This, much like the 2 that go into it, is very hit or miss for me. I really want to love OGD114, as the proof point is right in my wheelhouse. For whatever reason, though, I dont. I'd generally rather have the low rye from JB. Tonight, though, it's singing to me. 

I have a full handle of WSR, so I wont rule out giving OGD114 another chance in a few month for another batch of GW4G. 

20200102_215512.jpg

The bottle kill continues. This one was fine, but I'm happy to open up the shelf space for something else. 

20200103_202347.jpg

• I like it 1

Kept these around for way too long.  Taking up space in the garage.  Thoroughly enjoyed each one.  To the dump you go!!  ?

32BB8AD6-702A-44CD-8B1E-72C52B63A92D.jpeg

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Kept these around for way too long.  Taking up space in the garage.  Thoroughly enjoyed each one.  To the dump you go!!  ?

That Old Charter 10 bottle is superb.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

From your ironclad memory... which was your favorite?

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

From your ironclad memory... which was your favorite?

Ironclad... Heehee!  Well, every Stagg is glorious for me, but taking those out, I’d say;

-  Doug Phillips 22yr Willett Rye

-  That little bottle of 1961 S-W distilled Old Fitz 1849 10 yr.

Both of those were awesome whiskies.  

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ironclad... Heehee!  Well, every Stagg is glorious for me, but taking those out, I’d say;

IIRC, that Fairfax County was pretty damn good too! (assuming one of those bottles was one you brought to Bardstown a few years ago)

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

IIRC, that Fairfax County was pretty damn good too! (assuming one of those bottles was one you brought to Bardstown a few years ago)

Yep.  Very good, too.  I’m sure one of those went to Bardstown.  Maybe, both!  ?

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yep.  Very good, too.  I’m sure one of those went to Bardstown.  Maybe, both!  ?

Some went to Chuck Cowdery who sent it on to several of the master distillers for molecule and taste analysis. He did a great write up in his newsletter which I can’t find right now but is probably with one of my empty special bottle boxes in the basement heehee. 

Finished off this Old Forester And Old scout. Nothing alike, but both very win they’re own way.

Making room for the roaring 20’s!

IMG_6178.jpg

21 minutes ago, T Comp said:

Some went to Chuck Cowdery who sent it on to several of the master distillers for molecule and taste analysis. He did a great write up in his newsletter which I can’t find right now but is probably with one of my empty special bottle boxes in the basement heehee. 

I was thinking the same thing Thad, so I went looking through my old issues and sure enough, Chuck called it "The GBS Project". Thanks to Joe, they sent samples to various Master Distillers to ask why there are no current bourbons that taste like it and if it would be possible to make a bourbon today that would. His first story on it was in the June 2012 issue with the conclusion in the January 2013. 

Due to copyright issues I can't post copies of the articles, but it was a fun and interesting read.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm right there with ya' smokinjoe.   Parting with those nostalgic and memorable bottles, some from lo so many years past, can be such 'sweet sorrow' (to paraphrase Bill Shakespeare), though I never had quite as many fine and really old bottles to discard.    I tossed about 6-of 'em just a few days before Christmas.    I guess I probably still have about a dozen I should pry loose and let go of.     ...Someday; but not yet.

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What was the proof on the 22y rye and what did you think of it?

Ive tried the 25y at 100p (batched & proofed down by Willett before  bottling)

and it was fascinating to me.

So subtle and delicate that you’d miss it if you weren’t paying attention.  But that’s how a lot of that old rye is, and I don’t think it’s being replicated at all today.

?

Probably the best MMPS I’ve had so far.

Sweet liquid chocolate all the way.

Sad to see it go, but happy about the open shelf space!

5A7E8656-2AB6-4F5F-AC91-23BD044547AF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

What was the proof on the 22y rye and what did you think of it?

Ive tried the 25y at 100p (batched & proofed down by Willett before  bottling)

and it was fascinating to me.

So subtle and delicate that you’d miss it if you weren’t paying attention.  But that’s how a lot of that old rye is, and I don’t think it’s being replicated at all today.

?

It was barrel proof, but I don’t remember, and it’s already at the curb.  I have another unopened, though, that I’ll dig out and check.  It was all from those batches that were LaNell’s Red Hook Rye, Iron Fist/VelvetGlove, etc.  Great, and agreed, never duplicated since.  

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It was barrel proof, but I don’t remember, and it’s already at the curb.  I have another unopened, though, that I’ll dig out and check.  It was all from those batches that were LaNell’s Red Hook Rye, Iron Fist/VelvetGlove, etc.  Great, and agreed, never duplicated since.  

136.7 pr 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I have another unopened, though, that I’ll dig out and check.  It was all from those batches that were LaNell’s Red Hook Rye, Iron Fist/VelvetGlove, etc.  Great, and agreed, never duplicated since.  

Consider me extremely jealous of that bottle!   (Better hide it from Troyce :D)

Feel like every year Beam drops piles of KC picks right around the holidays. I love it and so that’s what I’ve been drinking lately. 

Housecleaning day. The WT101 went into an open handle in garage freezer. Merged all my KC pick bottles into the new KC infinity project. Helps a ton with shelf space!

E124BE49-0F38-48B8-9A8D-38AD0A30249C.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 4

23 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Feel like every year Beam drops piles of KC picks right around the holidays. I love it and so that’s what I’ve been drinking lately. 

Housecleaning day. The WT101 went into an open handle in garage freezer. Merged all my KC pick bottles into the new KC infinity project. Helps a ton with shelf space!

E124BE49-0F38-48B8-9A8D-38AD0A30249C.jpeg

That my friend, is a great idea (KC infinity)!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.