Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

True, but at the same time I’ve never had a single barrel that wasn’t better then the small batch.  The price disparity is a bit larger than I would  like and for that reason I don’t splurge on the SiB often, but every time I do it’s a fantastic experience.

Wait 'til you try the CEHT Barrel Proof - YUMMO!   Went thru a few already but saving my last for a SBS with the CEHT 18yr "Marriage" (yeah, dream on big boy)!   ?

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

Apparently Saint Louis gets all the crap single barrels/bottles.

They gotta go somewhere..... 

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

AND... They hadta drink SOMETHING out of that Stanley Cup, right?  ? ?

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

You guys are too funny.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

2de32f9be42458db8a3e1490222c003e_xl.jpg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

You guys are too funny.

I just figured that with Luxco's corporate headquarters, as well as a blending and bottling facility in St. Louis, they figured you guys were used to drinking marginal whiskey. So why not send their undesirable bottles there?  :D:D

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I just figured that with Luxco's corporate headquarters, as well as a blending and bottling facility in St. Louis, they figured you guys were used to drinking marginal whiskey. So why not send their undesirable bottles there?  :D:D

Seems like you might be correct.

Ive choked down two of them in the last few years and I’m done buying it.

(ok, they weren’t “that” terrible)

but I am Small Batch all the way!

11 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Wait 'til you try the CEHT Barrel Proof - YUMMO!   Went thru a few already but saving my last for a SBS with the CEHT 18yr "Marriage" (yeah, dream on big boy)!   ?

Love the EHTBP!  Have had a handful of pours, but have not opened one myself yet.  I hear you on the 18yr, I'm dreaming to get that one as well!

On 5/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, Clueby said:

This really was like a Baby Blanton's. 

20200524_192226.jpg

I think that AAA 10* is one of the most under-rated bourbons out there.  A really solid pour that IMHO punches well above its weight.

Tonight, I poured the last of a 2015 RRSmBSB GBS pick, which I think is one of the best barrels we've picked.  Rich dark chocolate with caramel, oak, and a heavy dose of Turkey spice.  A lovely pour on a lovely Saturday night!

IMG_20200530_192536.thumb.jpg.0c408537ea6c8881ded9e0e59a2526cf.jpg

• I like it 1

Last weeks casualties...

I noticed that I’ve gone through more bourbon cream in the last two months than anything else.  ?
It’s so good in coffee though!!!

ACAADCF5-68FD-42E3-8EE5-C74E5EA83D93.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

This bottle definitely has its place. But was not a daily. I really enjoyed it and will by another. But I'm not sure I really liked it. Even though this is my third bottle of the batch. It will s definitely for those who like scotch, and rye. All the flavors fight constantly for attention, and they all showed up.

IMG_20200602_193851.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

This bottle definitely has its place. But was not a daily. I really enjoyed it and will by another. But I'm not sure I really liked it. Even though this is my third bottle of the batch. It will s definitely for those who like scotch, and rye. All the flavors fight constantly for attention, and they all showed up.

IMG_20200602_193851.jpg

This was one of the most confusing tasting notes I’ve ever read.

?

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, parksmart said:

True, but it is also one of the most confusing bottles I have ever tasted.

23 hours ago, Mattk said:

I really enjoyed it and will by another. But I'm not sure I really liked it. Even though this is my third bottle of the batch. 

This is where you lost me.... ?

If I've really enjoyed something I'm pretty sure I really liked it as well.

34 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

This is where you lost me.... ?

If I've really enjoyed something I'm pretty sure I really liked it as well.

We talking about sex, or booze?

?

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

We talking about sex  or  and booze?

There, fixed it for ya so it was more applicable to Gary.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jbutler said:

There, fixed it for ya so it was more applicable to Gary.

Killin' me over here.

Although the post was intended to get a chuckle, due to the nature of this beverage. It did seem to spark some discussion. So I'd like to follow up in a bit longer and more serious form. 

The color on this is about as red as you can expect a copper to look when poured into a rocks glass. It's unfiltered and wood chipped nature makes the liquid visibly grainy. A translucent, not transparent quality.

The nose is strong with both the apple and cherry wood. Smoke is undeniable. And the malted barley overshines the grassier rye notes of the rye grain.

The first taste is awash in smoke and barley, thick in mouthfeel and that taste lingers throughout the sip fading into the finish. Mid sip brighter, sweet notes of the fruit wood mix with the spice of the rye. The Virginia rye seems to have a sweet nutty quality to it. Nearing the end of the same sip. The oak emerges. A bit of caramel and baking spice. Finally the drink seems thinner. And a floral note shows through.

The smoke and barley notes continue into the finish, joining the floral taste which appears at the very end of the sip. The finish is long. It may go on forever. Only time will tell.

Overall I enjoy a glass or two of the copper fox original rye when I'm in the mood for something incredibly flavorful and lower proof. It definitely does need that space. Each sip feels inconsistent with the next, just due to the amount of flavors and unfiltered nature of the product. The enjoyment comes from the discovery of what each sip will hold. I'm still not sure I really like the product, due to this. So while I'm still on the fence as to how much I like it. I enjoy the experience of the entertainment of such a busy and complex rye based product.

I hope that helps clarify any confusion I may have inadvertently caused.

Finished off a bottle of possibly my favorite KC barrel picks that I was apart of.

This is from about 3 years ago when all of the great 14 and 15 year barrels were store picks. I have several in the bunker, thank goodness....

Also put the GD hang tag just because I like the sound it makes when it hits the bottle. Got to enjoy the little things in life....

2A2639FF-27C5-488A-AC49-DCA120A21608.thumb.jpeg.c37aedaf0810f8e033c4760496468d15.jpeg 

• I like it 3

On 6/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, Mattk said:

IMG_20200602_193851.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, parksmart said:

?

15 hours ago, Mattk said:

Although the post was intended to get a chuckle, due to the nature of this beverage. It did seem to spark some discussion. So I'd like to follow up in a bit longer and more serious form. 

The color on this is about as red as you can expect a copper to look when poured into a rocks glass. It's unfiltered and wood chipped nature makes the liquid visibly grainy. A translucent, not transparent quality.

The nose is strong with both the apple and cherry wood. Smoke is undeniable. And the malted barley overshines the grassier rye notes of the rye grain.

The first taste is awash in smoke and barley, thick in mouthfeel and that taste lingers throughout the sip fading into the finish. Mid sip brighter, sweet notes of the fruit wood mix with the spice of the rye. The Virginia rye seems to have a sweet nutty quality to it. Nearing the end of the same sip. The oak emerges. A bit of caramel and baking spice. Finally the drink seems thinner. And a floral note shows through.

The smoke and barley notes continue into the finish, joining the floral taste which appears at the very end of the sip. The finish is long. It may go on forever. Only time will tell.

Overall I enjoy a glass or two of the copper fox original rye when I'm in the mood for something incredibly flavorful and lower proof. It definitely does need that space. Each sip feels inconsistent with the next, just due to the amount of flavors and unfiltered nature of the product. The enjoyment comes from the discovery of what each sip will hold. I'm still not sure I really like the product, due to this. So while I'm still on the fence as to how much I like it. I enjoy the experience of the entertainment of such a busy and complex rye based product.

I hope that helps clarify any confusion I may have inadvertently caused.

And here I was thinking all he really meant was "It didn't taste great but it was good enough to get me drunk"

• I like it 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, 0895 said:

Last weeks casualties...

I noticed that I’ve gone through more bourbon cream in the last two months than anything else.  ?
It’s so good in coffee though!!!

ACAADCF5-68FD-42E3-8EE5-C74E5EA83D93.jpeg

Bourbon cream is insanely easy to make and cheaper than buying it.  There are quite a few recipes on line. I've attached a pic of the one that I use. 

Screenshot_20190913-082511_Chrome.jpg

• I like it 1

No pic but finished off a 2016 Bourye. Every pour out of that bottle improved over the previous one. Too bad it wasn’t a handle. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.