Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel state pick and a bottle of FR Small Batch watching football yesterday. Both were good and a friendly reminder how the simple standard versions of our favorite brands can be enjoyed just as much as the LE's.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Interestingly enough,

here they have a local manager from one of our 3 stores and several employees and customers (not me) that do most of the barrel picks.  I’ll give them some credit.  They typically do a very good-excellent job for our local picks.

My palate doesn’t always align with their picks, but they will usually have a sample bottle available for tasting pre-purchase.

At the very least, they are actually picking most of the barrels, unlike another local chain who just takes whatever sight unseen, cuz it will sell regardless. ?

Good to know you have reliable pickers. 

I'm sure it varies quite a bit from location to location. I'm fortunate that I'm a part of the picking team for my independently owned local so I have no shortage of good picks.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:19 AM, Patrick_OKC said:

Continuing the bunker work-down. 

Pat

btof.jpg

Opinions on the H&S Old Fashioned?

I found it a bit sweet ?‍♂️.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Opinions on the H&S Old Fashioned?

I found it a bit sweet ?‍♂️.

I normally have a Manhattan when I go for a cocktail, so an Old Fashioned is sweet to my taste anyway. OTOH, I did find it to be a good change of pace.

Pat

• I like it 1

I ended up finishing my 2017 WLW last night. Darned good bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

So I've been on quarantine due to my wife having a positive covid test. She experienced minimal symptoms. I never experienced any. Tomorrow is my last day of my mandated home stay. Honestly it's been kind of nice. My thoughts are constantly with those less lucky. I'd also like to mention these were not all fresh cracks these last two weeks. I like rye.

IMG_20201208_205235.jpg

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 5

Never had this before but it was better than expected due to the criticism I read about it.  Better than the pour that preceded it - RR 10yr - but not as good as the EC SmB K&L pick that followed it.  Even if it was as good, I wouldn't buy a bottle because of the ridiculous bottle shape...  

willeit pot still mini.jpg

Edited by fosmith
typo
  • I like it 1

C917.  The best of the 2017 batches, IMO.  And, one of the top batches since the new bottle design began with A117.  Glad I have a few more of these. 

EC C917 empty.jpg

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

Never had this before but it was better than expected due to the criticism I read about it.  Better than the pour that preceded it - RR 10yr - but not as good as the EC SmB K&L pick that followed it.  Even if it was as good, I wouldn't buy a bottle because of the ridiculous bottle shape...  

willeit pot still mini.jpg

But that's just a a baby bottle.  You should try finding a shelf for the "handle" (1.75L) pot still bottle!   ?

3 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

But that's just a a baby bottle.  You should try finding a shelf for the "handle" (1.75L) pot still bottle!   ?

I've seen them in stores and I can't even imagine having one around.  If someone gifted me one I'd decant it into empty bottles of something else... 

18 hours ago, Mattk said:

So I've been on quarantine due to my wife having a positive covid test. She experienced minimal symptoms. I never experienced any. Tomorrow is my last day of my mandated home stay. Honestly it's been kind of nice. My thoughts are constantly with those less lucky. I'd also like to mention these were not all fresh cracks these last two weeks. I like rye.

IMG_20201208_205235.jpg

Obviously you drank away the covid. Who needs a vaccine?

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 3

Was out of town for a couple of days thus my progress was impeded ... but I finally killed the Calumet 14.

It was a good bourbon, some smokey flavors mixed with some traces of honey like sweetness.

Was it worth $135? Not to me ...  there's a lot of bourbon for less that I prefer.  But I also don't have that feeling of being ripped off because it was different and not boring, so I'm glad I tried it and there is a chance that for the person who likes exactly the color palette it offers, it is fully worth it.  Let's put it this way way, it wasn't a 'meh' bourbon, my guess is that a some people will absolutely love it and some will not like it.

IMG_6055.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by soulsea

I’ve been continuing my purge of less than desirable bottles. The last third of a bottle of JB Black went down the drain a few days ago. I also had a half a handle of JD that was taking up space on my cabinet for a long time. Over ten years. I kept it around for some guys I used to bowl with that liked Jack. I haven’t seen them in years, so into the “gutter” it went. Pun intended. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, steven s said:

i never got that vitamin funk as much from this rye, which was distilled in IN i think?

Same here...that's why I like their rye.   A little funk goes a long way!

32 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

The bin is calling...

1276966438_IMG_10562.thumb.jpg.e8e7ee480a7c15ee00023d8f04a02541.jpg

(from the past couple weeks)

Man, there are two bottle labels that have gone right in the shitter.  I wish Beam would take that lecherous looking picture off the label, and go back to the stately look of the previous, and is there one person on earth who prefers the current WT label over the older ones?  On the other hand, the ER was nice looking back in the day, but the new is very nice, too.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

is there one person on earth who prefers the current WT label over the older ones?  

Yes there is.  That one person in Marketing at Campari.  His name's "Brock" and he's kind of a tool.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Man, there are two bottle labels that have gone right in the shitter.  I wish Beam would take that lecherous looking picture off the label, and go back to the stately look of the previous, and is there one person on earth who prefers the current WT label over the older ones?  On the other hand, the ER was nice looking back in the day, but the new is very nice, too.  

I 100% agree. The larger orange label and orange screw capped OGD BIB needs to make a come back. 

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

is there one person on earth who prefers the current WT label over the older ones? 

(dcbt looks around and starts to meekly raise his hand, but notices nobody else does so he puts it back down and wonders what's wrong with himself.)

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

(dcbt looks around and starts to meekly raise his hand, but notices nobody else does so he puts it back down and wonders what's wrong with himself.)

Heehee!  It looks good on you though...  ?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.