GTS Question

fifthsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Local store has a GTS for $290. Just wanted some of yalls input on what you would do at that price point. Never had a chance to buy any of the BTAC offerings (I have had a pour of THH) and am tempted to splurge since I’ve never seen it on a shelf. Never spent that kind of $$ on a bottle, quite frankly never thought I’d even be tempted to! I’m more than happy with the easy to find, $25-45 bottles but obviously want to grow my shelf somewhat. Advice for this newb appreciated

16 minutes ago, fifthsmith said:

Local store has a GTS for $290. Just wanted some of yalls input on what you would do at that price point. Never had a chance to buy any of the BTAC offerings (I have had a pour of THH) and am tempted to splurge since I’ve never seen it on a shelf. Never spent that kind of $$ on a bottle, quite frankly never thought I’d even be tempted to! I’m more than happy with the easy to find, $25-45 bottles but obviously want to grow my shelf somewhat. Advice for this newb appreciated

George T Stagg is on a short list of consideration as the greatest whiskey produced on this planet each year.  It is epic. Transcendent.    The King of Whiskies.  If you have the means, that price though higher than MSRP, is “reasonable” IMO.  

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, fifthsmith said:

You’d spend about $400 on secondary. $100 is around what they should go for.

Depends how deep your pockets are.

Edited by mal00768

43 minutes ago, fifthsmith said:

I just saw it for $800 around here. If I could find it for $290, I'd buy it in about 1/2 a second! 

• I like it 2

If you can talk to the owner of the store, you can always try to dicker them down a bit.

Dont forgot that tax will likely be added to that $290.

Thanks guys. My main hold up is that it has also been popping up randomly at MSRP at a few other stores close to me. Obviously, I missed those opportunities and am hopeful I can snag one next time. Might jump on this one! 

• I like it 1

It'd be a hard no for me. My mind immediately thinks of how many RR SiB picks and ECBP I could buy for that. I will say that I've only had GTS once (maybe 2017?), and it was pretty fantastic. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

If you can talk to the owner of the store, you can always try to dicker them down a bit.

Dont forgot that tax will likely be added to that $290.

It is a small mom and pop type place and I spoke with the owner for about 30 minutes trying to form a connection for the future. I’ve shopped at this store frequently, only recently did I meet the owner. They initially wanted $350 for it but dropped it to $290 the day I spoke to them. Couldn’t do it then due to finances but just so happened to luck into about $300 play money (thank you fantasy football!!). 

1 minute ago, fifthsmith said:

It is a small mom and pop type place and I spoke with the owner for about 30 minutes trying to form a connection for the future. I’ve shopped at this store frequently, only recently did I meet the owner. They initially wanted $350 for it but dropped it to $290 the day I spoke to them. Couldn’t do it then due to finances but just so happened to luck into about $300 play money (thank you fantasy football!!). 

I say do it then. It really is fantastic whisky.

I don't pay that much for any spirit, but I'm a cheap bastard who's been in the game a while and has tasted lots of GTS over the years.

That said. If you have the means and you've never owned a bottle, go for it!

7 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

It'd be a hard no for me. My mind immediately thinks of how many RR SiB picks and ECBP I could buy for that. I will say that I've only had GTS once (maybe 2017?), and it was pretty fantastic. 

Hah! I like the way you think.

3 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Hah! I like the way you think.

Samesies.  

GTS is good but gets it butt whooped by ECBP in blinds.  Done it with a very large group.  Most would buy the bottle at 290 just to have in their cabinet and show off , but purely as a spirit to drink , it’s not worth $300.  

• I like it 1

Get it.  Even if you subsequently find one for cheaper, you either dollar cost average it, or sell at the original $290 price you paid to someone who’ll be happy to take it off your hands.  

If you are on the fence, find a local establishment and try a pour.  If it suits your taste go and invest in your own bottle.  I was fortunate enough last year to encounter several, no regrets here.

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, fifthsmith said:

Thanks guys. My main hold up is that it has also been popping up randomly at MSRP at a few other stores close to me. Obviously, I missed those opportunities and am hopeful I can snag one next time. Might jump on this one! 

Slogan from Ranger School - He who hesitates to pick an azimuth is LOST!  In other words, do not second guess.  But, that's just me.

If you think that slogan is hooey, look up the meaning of "azimuth".

In other words, Strike while the mustard is hot.  Shoot when the rabbit jumps.  [I got a million of these hackneyed, yet pertinent, slogans.  Do NOT encourage me.  It's like feeding a polar bear - he'll get to you sooner or later.]

EDIT - I'm back on my diluted Willett PSR SiB from 2013-14.  Can you tell?B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

57 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I just saw it for $800 around here. If I could find it for $290, I'd buy it in about 1/2 a second! 

OP....Looks like you have your answer. This gal knows a thing or two about Whiskey.  It would be hard for me to spend that money on a GTS as I would prefer other things in that price range but who am I to argue with one of the most respected blenders in the the Spirits business.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

OP....Looks like you have your answer. This gal knows a thing or two about Whiskey.  It would be hard for me to spend that money on a GTS as I would prefer other things in that price range but who am I to argue with one of the most respected blenders in the the Spirits business.

@Bbstout, I totally hear what you're saying, as even $290 is a hefty chunk of change for a bottle. There aren't many Bourbons that I would spend that on, but I do have to admit that I would personally go for the $290 bottle because I'm a huge GTS fan. I haven't seen a bottle around here in about 5 or 6 years, and when I finally did seen one for $800, the price was ridiculous. That's pretty much what I paid for a bottle of a 1932 vintage Armagnac that was bottled in 2011 that I just purchased, which is much more value for the dough. 

I do agree with you though that one could buy MANY bottles of good juice for the $290, and hence, 2, 3, 4 or more times the enjoyment!??

Cheers,

Nancy

SO!  Let's approach this as a math problem.  750ml is 25.360517 ounces.  A 750ml of GTS is available for $290 which is roughly $11.44 per ounce.  Recall that GTS is super-proof so it is unlikely you'll drink the whole thing neat in 2 OZ. chunks.  Even if you do, like I do sometimes, figure it takes a half hour or more to suck down 2 ounces.  NOW, think back to your last night out.  Where I am, cocktails run about $12 per even for rail ingredients.  Hence, a half hour to one hour of neat sipping on this GTS equates in cost to two average cocktails before/with/after dinner out.  ALSO, presuming you drink average wine at home  that same half hour to hour of GTS equates to 1/2 bottle (or two generous glasses) of an average wine at home WHICH is about the cost of ONE generous glass of average wine at a slightly above average restaurant.

BUT!! Unlike the wine bottle which gives you at most FOUR generous glasses, the GTS gives you TWELVE+ servings..  [ASIDE - thiings got fuzzy here as I forget where I was going with this argument so I'll stop.]

If you want further rationalization to justify your purchase, I am available.

• I like it 9

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

SO!  Let's approach this as a math problem.  750ml is 25.360517 ounces.  A 750ml of GTS is available for $290 which is roughly $11.44 per ounce.  Recall that GTS is super-proof so it is unlikely you'll drink the whole thing neat in 2 OZ. chunks.  Even if you do, like I do sometimes, figure it takes a half hour or more to suck down 2 ounces.  NOW, think back to your last night out.  Where I am, cocktails run about $12 per even for rail ingredients.  Hence, a half hour to one hour of neat sipping on this GTS equates in cost to two average cocktails before/with/after dinner out.  ALSO, presuming you drink average wine at home  that same half hour to hour of GTS equates to 1/2 bottle (or two generous glasses) of an average wine at home WHICH is about the cost of ONE generous glass of average wine at a slightly above average restaurant.

BUT!! Unlike the wine bottle which gives you at most FOUR generous glasses, the GTS gives you TWELVE+ servings..  [ASIDE - thiings got fuzzy here as I forget where I was going with this argument so I'll stop.]

If you want further rationalization to justify your purchase, I am available.

Harry's over here making me rethink my answer...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fifthsmith said:

Perfect story and you won your FFL championship. You won’t regret it and your football buddy’s will envy your GTS.  It’s one of my favorite bourbons of all time. Unless you are swimming in bills, no diapers for the baby, Electricity is about to go off, no water, mortgage is due soon and you don’t know how you are going to swing it....

I’ve paid more for GTS before. But only for the 2014 release once, because I just really loved that particular year.

I will say that Stagg Jr has improved over the years and people have been very high on the recent batches. One approach could also be to try one of the latest Stagg Jr batches and see what you think of it. If you love it, maybe that helps make up your mind that you’re willing to invest in the Senior. 

I will also say that I tried the 2019 Stagg recently and thought it was very good whiskey. I don’t think it stands up with my favorite years of Stagg though. If you try this Stagg and love it, prepare to find yourself obsessed with tracking down other years to try......

And yeah it comes down to a relative view of the $. $290 to some people is more than they would ever pay for a bottle. For others, $290 is nothing and doesn’t really matter to them. 

If you buy it, report back on your thoughts after you try it!

2 hours ago, fifthsmith said:

Local store has a GTS for $290. Just wanted some of yalls input on what you would do at that price point. 

I've been fortunate to have a number of Stagg's and absolutely love them, but there's no way I'd pay that much for a bottle. Like Josh, I'm a cheap bastard

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Harry’s making a great case here. 

OH, YEAH!  AND ANOTHER THING!! A six pack of my fave beer is from somewhat micro brewery Devil's Backbone and is called Vienna Lager.  It runs about $10 per six pack.  It's about 5.2% ABV.  On a hot day when I'm working outside (NOT with power tools. I know better!!), a six will last me four hours.  When the day is done, IF I had another 6 to wind down, I'd fall asleep in the Sun and burn myself.  BUT, one.+ OZ. of GTS with two small cubes sipped over 45 minutes not only refreshes, it prevents my falling asleep on the deck and preps me for dinner.  AT A COMPARABLE COST!

Just saying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.