GTS Question

fifthsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

You're on a roll, Harry!!!  :D

I was told there’d be no math. 

• I like it 4

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OH, YEAH!  AND ANOTHER THING!! A six pack of my fave beer is from somewhat micro brewery Devil's Backbone and is called Vienna Lager.  It runs about $10 per six pack.  It's about 5.2% ABV.  On a hot day when I'm working outside (NOT with power tools. I know better!!), a six will last me four hours.  When the day is done, IF I had another 6 to wind down, I'd fall asleep in the Sun and burn myself.  BUT, one.+ OZ. of GTS with two small cubes sipped over 45 minutes not only refreshes, it prevents my falling asleep on the deck and preps me for dinner.  AT A COMPARABLE COST!

Just saying.

OK, you're just torturing Josh, now...  :D

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Bbstout, I totally hear what you're saying, as even $290 is a hefty chunk of change for a bottle. There aren't many Bourbons that I would spend that on, but I do have to admit that I would personally go for the $290 bottle because I'm a huge GTS fan. I haven't seen a bottle around here in about 5 or 6 years, and when I finally did seen one for $800, the price was ridiculous. That's pretty much what I paid for a bottle of a 1932 vintage Armagnac that was bottled in 2011 that I just purchased, which is much more value for the dough. 

I do agree with you though that one could buy MANY bottles of good juice for the $290, and hence, 2, 3, 4 or more times the enjoyment!??

Cheers,

Nancy

Nancy,

With your stature in the bourbon business I thought you would be swimming in rare bourbon. Seriously though, I agree with you on Stagg. Had my first pour a couple of weeks ago and loved it. There was a popular website that recently said that they preferred the latest batch of Stagg jr to 2019 Stagg. I have most of the newer releases...I might have to send you a sample for a professional opinion.

It's easy for old timers to say pass because we've had it already but... curiosity is the key, we've had it.  If you're curious, jump.  If ya go to bar, it might be $75/shot but this way you've got lots of shots, and lots of time to really experience it at your leisure.

If the OP is current with his fiscal responsibilities, there’s no better way to celebrate an FFL championship than with a bottle any of his bourbon aficionado league mates would be envious of.  Go get it, send a pic of you enjoying a nice pour, and remind everyone in your league to bow down to the Champ!

• I like it 1

I hate answering questions on how other people should spend their money as I have no idea on your income or financial responsibilities.

That being said I would personally probably buy it at that price.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

SO!  Let's approach this as a math problem.  750ml is 25.360517 ounces.  A 750ml of GTS is available for $290 which is roughly $11.44 per ounce.  Recall that GTS is super-proof so it is unlikely you'll drink the whole thing neat in 2 OZ. chunks.  Even if you do, like I do sometimes, figure it takes a half hour or more to suck down 2 ounces.  NOW, think back to your last night out.  Where I am, cocktails run about $12 per even for rail ingredients.  Hence, a half hour to one hour of neat sipping on this GTS equates in cost to two average cocktails before/with/after dinner out.  ALSO, presuming you drink average wine at home  that same half hour to hour of GTS equates to 1/2 bottle (or two generous glasses) of an average wine at home WHICH is about the cost of ONE generous glass of average wine at a slightly above average restaurant.

BUT!! Unlike the wine bottle which gives you at most FOUR generous glasses, the GTS gives you TWELVE+ servings..  [ASIDE - thiings got fuzzy here as I forget where I was going with this argument so I'll stop.]

If you want further rationalization to justify your purchase, I am available.

I started doing math like this about three years ago.

I have more great pours in the bunker since then - but I did start spending probably more than twice as much on bourbon and rum.

The math is entirely correct - the problem introduced is it starts you thinking about it being appropriate for you to be paying bar and restaurant prices (which at present are terrible indicators of value because they're out of control) for drinking at home. And as much as that superficially appears to make sense, you are not at a bar or a restaurant when you are drinking at home. Bar prices are meant to be partially comprised of a "Social tax" - the price of being provided with an environment to congregate with people. You are not getting that value sitting in your armchair, so it is not an apples to apples equivalency.

So - understand exactly what this analysis is, and don't bullshit yourself about it - this is a justification for doubling (at least) your whiskey budget.

Once you start down this road, your resistance to buying $200+ bottles will evaporate, because it will now have both a familiarity of experience, plus this handy math to justify it.

You have been warned.

And no, I wouldn't buy a GTS for 290 dollars, which will likely be 310 after sales tax. GTS is not extinct, and long after this bubble has burst, there will still be annual releases of it for the rest of our lives.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

And no, I wouldn't buy a GTS for 290 dollars, which will likely be 310 after sales tax. GTS is not extinct, and long after this bubble has burst, there will still be annual releases of it for the rest of our lives.

What's sales tax?????????   ?

• I like it 5

2 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

What's sales tax?????????   ?

...it's that extra 8-10% thing you pay when your bourbon isn't already marked up 20% vs the rest of the nation.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

...it's that extra 8-10% thing you pay when your bourbon isn't already marked up 20% vs the rest of the nation.

Hahahah - here in Taxachusetts, we don't have the 6.25% sales tax on beer, wine and spirits!  We voted that double tax out a few years ago - something about staying competitive with our northern friends in the "Live Free or Die" state and the southern folk from "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations," too.   The price you see on the shelf tag is the price you pay before you walk out the door.   

"We don't need no (more) stinkin' taxes!"   ?

But I really do feel sorry for @flahute up in the Seattle area - their state and local taxes almost double the cost of a bottle of hooch!  But they protect their local wineries by not applying their extortive (is that an Engrish word?) taxes to their wines, IIRC.   ? 

But back on thread, the 2019 GTS is a really easy drinkin' libation at 116.9 pf - no drops of water or big spherical ice cube needed with this puppy, eh?  Good thing it was (relatively) available at or near MSRP up here a couple of weeks ago.     ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

But I really do feel sorry for @flahute up in the Seattle area - their state and local taxes almost double the cost of a bottle of hooch!  But they protect their local wineries by not applying their extortive (is that an Engrish word?) taxes to their wines, IIRC.   ? 

WA’s liquor tax is no joke.  But WA also has 0% state income tax.  Guess which of the two anyone who makes a reasonably good income would rather have?  ?

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hahahah - here in Taxachusetts, we don't have the 6.25% sales tax on beer, wine and spirits!  We voted that double tax out a few years ago - something about staying competitive with our northern friends in the "Live Free or Die" state and the southern folk from "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations," too.   The price you see on the shelf tag is the price you pay before you walk out the door.   

It’s probably more that the distilleries didn’t want youse guys throwing all their hard work into the Boston harbor... ?

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

WA’s liquor tax is no joke.  But WA also has 0% state income tax.  Guess which of the two anyone who makes a reasonably good income would rather have?  ?

MN gives us the special opportunity to have both sales tax and high income tax. And frigid winters. And.... wait a second, why do I live here?

• I like it 2

I would pay that for sure.  But I would probably pay up to $400 for it if I couldn't get a hold of a bottle or to each year.  It is so good!

17 hours ago, GeeTen said:

But back on thread, the 2019 GTS is a really easy drinkin' libation at 116.9 pf - no drops of water or big spherical ice cube needed with this puppy, eh?  Good thing it was (relatively) available at or near MSRP up here a couple of weeks ago.     ?

What is MSRP roughly for GTS in Massachusetts?

8 hours ago, Pjcowboy said:

I would pay that for sure.  But I would probably pay up to $400 for it if I couldn't get a hold of a bottle or to each year.  It is so good!

Why the hypothetical? You can get it every day for that. As many as you want.

A lot of people lately are saying "I would pay 400" and "it's worth 400" who don't actually put the money where their mouths are and pay the 400.

If we don't actually have to make the purchase, then I'd pay a million dollars for it. It's totally worth it!

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

What is MSRP roughly for GTS in Massachusetts?

$119.99 OTD.  Same for the rest of the available BTACs (WLW, THH & ER17 - no Saz18 in sight this year, tho').   But it did seem that there was more GTS around this year than the last several allocations.    ?

Edited by GeeTen

58 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

$119.99 OTD.  ?

A lot of whiskey sellers seem to insist on you walking out the door as part of the deal... ?

On 1/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, fifthsmith said:

Local store has a GTS for $290. Just wanted some of yalls input on what you would do at that price point. Never had a chance to buy any of the BTAC offerings (I have had a pour of THH) and am tempted to splurge since I’ve never seen it on a shelf. Never spent that kind of $$ on a bottle, quite frankly never thought I’d even be tempted to! I’m more than happy with the easy to find, $25-45 bottles but obviously want to grow my shelf somewhat. Advice for this newb appreciated

The struggle is real. I ended up passing on a 17 GTS at $250 2 years ago. Your post comes right after hunting trip of my own where I spent almost exactly what that GTS will be for you. So I thought I would throw out there what you could get for that money as a devil's advocate.

Russell's Reserve Store Pick - The barrel yielded only 80 bottles. I have high expectations.

Four Roses Pick - OESK, 10 yr 3 mo 57.8%

1792 Single Barrel pick

Wilderness Trail Rye Single Barrel Cask Strength

Elijah Craig Store Pick - 12 yrs

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Pick

Chattanooga 1816 Cask Strength

That was $310 out the door and I have Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Barton, Wilderness Trail, Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, and MGP represented. Just a thought.

@flahuteAm I doin it right? Also, I have well over a hundred bottles from every major and a little craft, and I've been drinking bourbon 26 years. Do I qualify to get on the Stagg Jr. Batch 12 want list? ***End of tongue in cheek good-natured ribbing statement*** Please don't ban me.

Edited by CUfan99
To add BOTM thread wise crack.
  • I like it 4

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Why the hypothetical? You can get it every day for that. As many as you want.

A lot of people lately are saying "I would pay 400" and "it's worth 400" who don't actually put the money where their mouths are and pay the 400.

If we don't actually have to make the purchase, then I'd pay a million dollars for it. It's totally worth it!

I have paid $400 for last years a few times.  

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Pjcowboy said:

I have paid $400 for last years a few times.  

I admire your consistency.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

The struggle is real. I ended up passing on a 17 GTS at $250 2 years ago. Your post comes right after hunting trip of my own where I spent almost exactly what that GTS will be for you. So I thought I would throw out there what you could get for that money as a devil's advocate.

Russell's Reserve Store Pick - The barrel yielded only 80 bottles. I have high expectations.

Four Roses Pick - OESK, 10 yr 3 mo 57.8%

1792 Single Barrel pick

Wilderness Trail Rye Single Barrel Cask Strength

Elijah Craig Store Pick - 12 yrs

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Pick

Chattanooga 1816 Cask Strength

That was $310 out the door and I have Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Barton, Wilderness Trail, Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, and MGP represented. Just a thought.

@flahuteAm I doin it right? Also, I have well over a hundred bottles from every major and a little craft, and I've been drinking bourbon 26 years. Do I qualify to get on the Stagg Jr. Batch 12 want list? ***End of tongue in cheek good-natured ribbing statement*** Please don't ban me.

You are approved. Now get out there quick because there's a tater storm to fight through.

• I like it 4

On 1/9/2020 at 7:26 PM, Bbstout said:

Nancy,

With your stature in the bourbon business I thought you would be swimming in rare bourbon. Seriously though, I agree with you on Stagg. Had my first pour a couple of weeks ago and loved it. There was a popular website that recently said that they preferred the latest batch of Stagg jr to 2019 Stagg. I have most of the newer releases...I might have to send you a sample for a professional opinion.

@Bbstout, I have to sheepishly admit that it has been years since I seriously collected finished Bourbon products. I'll occasionally buy something that seems interesting of course, but I haven't HAD to buy finished Bourbon products in years. I literally have a whole basement full of barrel samples, ranging from new make to over 20 years old, which are uncut, unfiltered, and at cask strength. Once I'm finished with the samples for work purposes, the samples then become fair game for personal enjoyment. Sometimes I do home blends with them, and other times I just enjoy them as single barrel expressions, especially if they're honey barrels. ?

Interesting what you say about the website owner that said they preferred the latest batch of Stagg Jr to the '19 Stagg. While I absolutely adore GTS, for whatever reason I just haven't warmed up to Stagg Jr. I've bought several expressions of it and just haven't been that satisfied. Heck, I even gave a bottle of it away to a friend not too long ago! I haven't tried the '19 Stagg yet, so I'll reserve my opinion on that. Next time I'm in Louisville, KY, I'll probably try to get a pour of it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.