Lot B vs Weller 12

jwperry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my post searching I couldn't find anything recent, so forgive my new, tater-y post.

Thanks the Florida's ABC Vault program, my buddies and I have completed a near vertical of the Weller line minus the 12y. We want to do a tasting against them all, but our missing Weller is the 12 year. I grabbed a Lot B with my Vault invite last year (which we did on a flight and it got crushed vs everything) so I'm wondering for those folks who have access if the 2018 Lot B release is an appropriate substitute for Weller 12?

We're still getting together to share good bourbon and good times, just want to know if our excuse to our wives is a lie of omission or reality-is-a-perception situation.

I can’t speak to the 2018, but I did a number of blinds with multiple sets of people of varying bourbon experience with the 2017 Lot B against a W12, (along with WSR and ER to round out the tasting), and few, if any, could distinguish between those two. I actually picked the W12 as my preferred pour in each occasion, but they were very close, at least to my palate. 

• I like it 1

A couple of years ago I did a sbs of W12 and Lot B in a bar and, initially, they tasted almost identical.  But, after a bit of time, the Lot B emerged as deeper, more layered and complex.  Not mind blowingly so but definitely there.  Don't know what year release the Lot B was but likely 2017. 

• I like it 1

A couple of years ago I did a sbs of W12 and Lot B in a bar and, initially, they tasted almost identical.  But, after a bit of time, the Lot B emerged as deeper, more layered and complex.  Not mind blowingly so but definitely there.  Don't know what year release the Lot B was but likely 2017. 

My experience is similar. I would liken BT Lot B’s difference from Weller 12 to a well chosen single barrel of W12.
  • I like it 1

Me three, though no experience in last couple of years with the two.  I found Lot B to be juicier, a rad sweeter, more full and with a heftier mouth feel.  This runs in contrast to the sootiness that borders on a bitter note with most W12s.  

• I like it 1

I think it's been two years since I had W12. Need to grab one out of the bunker at some stage.

I do remember there being considerable variance in some batches. I had some that had the sooty thing going on, and others that were really great.  

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I do remember there being considerable variance in some batches. I had some that had the sooty thing going on, and others that were really great.  

No doubt W12 is batchy,  though I haven’t run into a sooty one for awhile. My opinion is that comparing current (BT) Lot B and current W12 there is very little difference. Certainly not enough to merit the price difference. Unfortunately depending on where you are the likelihood of finding  either outside of a lottery is minuscule. And with the new $45 SRP for W12 the price difference (retail) is shrinking too. If  both were available I’d clearly choose two bottles of W12 over one Lot B. YMMV. 

• I like it 1

Cool, thanks guys. Since Weller is pretty much all secondary market here in Florida getting the vertical for retail price has taken a bit and 4 of us pooling our inventory together to accomplish.

I was able to get a bottle of lot B and Weller 12 yr recently, and I find them similar, maybe an edge to the lot B for smoothness, a little less initial bite.

Both very nice.

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

Cool, thanks guys. Since Weller is pretty much all secondary market here in Florida getting the vertical for retail price has taken a bit and 4 of us pooling our inventory together to accomplish.

Did you get an ABC Vault invite this past Thursday (1/9) for the Weller lines?  They had sold out on WLW $99 by the time I went in but  had W12, CYPB and Full Proof left.  I chose the FP ($50) over the 12 ($30) and I’m sort of regretting it.  

Got ORVW last November from their Vault.  

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Whitewhale said:

Did you get an ABC Vault invite this past Thursday (1/9) for the Weller lines?  They had sold out on WLW $99 by the time I went in but  had W12, CYPB and Full Proof left.  I chose the FP ($50) over the 12 ($30) and I’m sort of regretting it.  

How much was the CYPB?  That would’ve been my choice, based on a SBS I had a few months ago where it bested OFBB and OF BiB 13 by a comfortable margin.

WLW is $119 in The Vault. My buddy grabbed one with his 2019 access and I grabbed a Lot B at $94 in 2019.

We got the same Weller special access last week(which FB rumor mill is says counts as our 1 guaranteed access this year) and I grabbed the Full Proof, my buddy grabbed the CYPB. Both were same price at $49, so it's crazy to see what some folks are paying for this on secondary. We'll soon see if they're worth the hype.
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Whitewhale said:

I chose the FP ($50) over the 12 ($30) and I’m sort of regretting it. 

I thought the FP is a VERY good pour...quite a bit better than W12. Like it better than OWA and CYPB.  To me it's like a "baby" WLW.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

I thought the FP is a VERY good pour...quite a bit better than W12. Like it better than OWA and CYPB.  To me it's like a "baby" WLW.

Glad to hear. Thank you. 

Parksmart:  CYPB was $50 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.