BottleSpot - shut down

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, BigRich said:

I can’t say that an argument based on FOMO is going to change my opinion. It’s bourbon. As much as we may love it that still doesn’t put it high on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.

Well, as long as Jim Beam White isn't the only thing on the shelf when I walk in, I'll be good with this.  And even if JBW is the only thing, I'll still be fine as long as I have Diet Coke on hand.  Now, if it's Old Crow, SOMEbody going to suffer, and it won't be ME!!!

• I like it 1

Guys...This is getting out of hand. Let's just respect everyone's opinion. I think think this is a great topic to examine but is also controversial for those of you who drank bourbon 30-40 years ago and those like me who started 15-20 (And MANY in the last 2 years. I met the OP through SB. We live across a lake. Small world. We share stuff when we find something interesting. Let's make Bourbon Great Again!

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, as long as Jim Beam White isn't the only thing on the shelf when I walk in, I'll be good with this.  And even if JBW is the only thing, I'll still be fine as long as I have Diet Coke on hand.  Now, if it's Old Crow, SOMEbody going to suffer, and it won't be ME!!!

Harry,

Are we talking National Distillers or Beam? I would have an opinion on both ?

Uh...eh....sorry there Harry. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

28 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Which funky rum was that...?  ?

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, BigRich said:

?

I'm skeptical of any argument that says something shouldn't be done simply because it's illegal — as was pointed out earlier we all drive over the speed limit at times.

I also don't like descriptions like "FOMO" or using "hipster" or "millennial" which have shown up in other threads to paint broad strokes of newer bourbon enthusiasts (and, for the record, I'm definitely not hip and not a millennial). The idea that everyone new is behaving irrationally and "ruining" the hobby is just silly. In general, I assume other people are goal oriented and are making sensible decisions (not always true, but more often true than not!). People wanting to try older Turkey or National Distillers OGD given the high esteem in which they're held makes sense. Same for BTAC — paying way over MSRP for GTS isn't something I'd do, but I could see someone with the means doing it once to see what the fuss is about. I'm up for a promotion and if I get I'm sure I'll buy my something nice. While it won't be from the secondary market, I'm pretty sure my wife will consider me spending $100+ on any bottle as irrational.

And, as for "changing the laws," it's a hell of a lot easier to pay a bunch for a single bottle of bourbon than to lobby to have laws changed (I guess this is a collective action problem), so it's no surprise that's what people do.

The bourbon market is overheated and it's annoying, but as others, especially the Black Tot, have noted the recent expansions are going start having an impact sooner or later...

9 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Guys...This is getting out of hand. Let's just respect everyone's opinion. I think think this is a great topic to examine but is also controversial for those of you who drank bourbon 30-40 years ago and those like me who started 15-20 (And MANY in the last 2 years. I met the OP through SB. We live across a lake. Small world. We share stuff when we find something interesting. Let's make Bourbon Great Again!

Agreed, well said and I really didn't mean to pass judgement on others, I was just trying to remind folks who engage in the secondary market of their exposure. Lord knows I'm no angel either, and although I've never bought nor sold anything on the secondary, I have done a couple of swaps, but I'm aware if anything happens it's on me. 

Good topic and I'm glad we've cooled it down a little.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I just shipped some samples to a war vet who lives in the middle of nowhere. He and his veteran buddies like good whiskey but can't find anything as they live in No Man's land. I sent some stuff they would never be able to buy to try out. When I put the box on the scale the lady asked me if there was any alcohol or liquid in the contents. I said No. She winked/smiled at me and said good answer. If I go to jail for doing this then there is something really wrong with the law.

3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I just shipped some samples to a war vet who lives in the middle of nowhere. He and his veteran buddies like good whiskey but can't find anything as they live in No Man's land. I sent some stuff they would never be able to buy to try out. When I put the box on the scale the lady asked me if there was any alcohol or liquid in the contents. I said No. She winked/smiled at me and said good answer. If I go to jail for doing this then there is something really wrong with the law.

Good Karma for you, Bbstout!   I've done some (slightly) similar stuff, as well, though not through the USPS. 

I PM'd with a local guy (on this board) who was lamenting his complete inability to acquire Weller 12-year... or even ever have a taste of it!   I offered to meet him for a lunch somewhere between us (each drove less than 30-minutes, I believe) and exchange a bottle of approximately the same price (around $30 at the time, though W12 was fetching way more on the secondary at the time).    He brought a McKenna 10-yr., we had a nice lunch and pleasant conversation, then went to the parking lot and exchanged bottles.    No laws violated even!   He was delighted, and had the tasting experience he craved (and even made some SB Blend, I think), and I got a decent bottle in return.

I've also taken a local Doctor with whom I have had an on-and-off Dr/Patient relationship under my 'Bourbon wing'.     He mentioned Bourbon during one of our consultations, and it went from there.    I've passed him about 8-or-10 samples of the Pappy Van Winkle series along with some other LE's  in which he expressed interest.    Even though never actually sharing any pours of the subject Bourbons with either gentleman, I've had conversations 'after the fact' that were very rewarding.   Hopefully a bit of good Karma for all, eh?

• I like it 1

I'm skeptical of any argument that says something shouldn't be done simply because it's illegal — as was pointed out earlier we all drive over the speed limit at times.

I also don't like descriptions like "FOMO" or using "hipster" or "millennial" which have shown up in other threads to paint broad strokes of newer bourbon enthusiasts (and, for the record, I'm definitely not hip and not a millennial). The idea that everyone new is behaving irrationally and "ruining" the hobby is just silly. In general, I assume other people are goal oriented and are making sensible decisions (not always true, but more often true than not!). People wanting to try older Turkey or National Distillers OGD given the high esteem in which they're held makes sense. Same for BTAC — paying way over MSRP for GTS isn't something I'd do, but I could see someone with the means doing it once to see what the fuss is about. I'm up for a promotion and if I get I'm sure I'll buy my something nice. While it won't be from the secondary market, I'm pretty sure my wife will consider me spending $100+ on any bottle as irrational.

And, as for "changing the laws," it's a hell of a lot easier to pay a bunch for a single bottle of bourbon than to lobby to have laws changed (I guess this is a collective action problem), so it's no surprise that's what people do.

The bourbon market is overheated and it's annoying, but as others, especially the Black Tot, have noted the recent expansions are going start having an impact sooner or later...

I always enjoy when folks quotes people’s posts and then get all squirrelly without actually reading them.

I’m glad this thread has made it’s way back towards a more pleasant tone. Certainly partially my own fault for a couple of the exchanges that were a little tense. Sometimes I like to debate stuff too much. Maybe I should’ve been a lawyer? 

For the record, I’m not a big fan of flippers. I just think the government trying to dictate what people do with their own time/resources/money has a terrible track record. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.