Good Resource for Those New to Rum

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just as an FYI, I was turned onto The Fat Rum Pirate.  Has helped de-mystify the wild world of rum for me to a greater degree.  Hoping it can do the same for others.

Any other good resources you guys recommend?

Thanks,

• I like it 1

Unfortunately I've found that The Dead President is the only viable resource for me to determine what a specific rum tastes like.

• I like it 3

49 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Unfortunately I've found that The Dead President is the only viable resource for me to determine what a specific rum tastes like.

I see what you did there!  A play off the slang term for money and that one can only form ones own opinion by buying and trying the spirit, and a fine sipping rum tasting note...  ?

• I like it 2

A couple of sites that I have found interesting

https://inuakena.com/

https://cocktailwonk.com/all-about-rum

On 1/18/2020 at 8:04 AM, MikeF said:

A couple of sites that I have found interesting

https://inuakena.com/

https://cocktailwonk.com/all-about-rum

I haven’t paid much attention to rum sites of late as I am much more comfortable in my own knowledge these days. But their is no SB.com for rum (other than SB.com of course!).

Cocktail wonk has had some good information in the past. My understanding is that he now is on the payroll for Plantation so not clear how that might create any bias. what little I have heard suggests it has but haven’t used the site in some time.

• I like it 1

Yeah, hence my asking a million questions trying to get into rum.  No real clear-cut guide like this forum is for bourbon.  

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah, hence my asking a million questions trying to get into rum.  No real clear-cut guide like this forum is for bourbon.  

The rules are really simple:

The worse the flavor descriptor notes are, the better the rum.  Look for, “diesel”, “rotten vegetation”, “pungent”, “tar-y”, “throw up in back of the throat”...

If the flavor description sound like something you would enjoy drinking, the worse the rum.  Look for,“sweetish”,“tropical”,“molasses”, “rummish”.

?

The worse the flavor descriptor notes are, the better the rum.  Look for, “diesel”, “rotten vegetation”, “pungent”, “tar-y”, “throw up in back of the throat”...

If the flavor description sound like something you would enjoy drinking, the worse the rum.  Look for,“sweetish”,“tropical”,“molasses”, “rummish”.

[emoji16]

LOL! [emoji23] Joe, I knew you couldn’t help yourself...I’ve been waiting with anticipation for a comment like this! You’ve become so predictable. [emoji6]

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

?

How did I know this was coming? ?

• I like it 1

[emoji16]

Basically this but Smokin forgot burnt rubber.

• I like it 1

Just as an FYI, I was turned onto The Fat Rum Pirate.  Has helped de-mystify the wild world of rum for me to a greater degree.  Hoping it can do the same for others.

Any other good resources you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Rum pirate is quite awesome and from what I can tell impartial and not effected by samples/partnerships or whatever that crap is that’s more common in whiskey.

Good rum review sites suffer from the baked-in dilemma that most great rums worth writing about are released in such small runs that only the first 200-1000 members of the readership can get one for themselves.

This results in reading exotic sites about stuff you can't get, or people making a personality out of themselves reviewing high volume easily available rum that anyone could just figure out for themselves for not too much money. Neither of which is very fun for very long.

I was offered to take a site over once. I knew I was just going to lose interest. It would have been fun to be one of the in-crowd at rum festivals, because that circle has a good time...

But as Charles Bukowski once said: "Let them have the stage, so long as I need not be in the audience."

I'm just happy once in a while to serve Joe something that broadens his horizons. Or re-summons his lunch. Either is pretty entertaining.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Several of the best resources for rum are right here on SB if you’re ready to get serious about rum. Paul, Bruce and Dave have probably helped me grow my knowledge of rum as much as any other source. Of course my wallet has been lightened in the process because of their advice and/or suggestions, but I’ve enjoyed venturing down the rum rabbit hole, especially since the bourbon rabbit hole can be so frustrating at times.

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Several of the best resources for rum are right here on SB if you’re ready to get serious about rum. Paul, Bruce and Dave have probably helped me grow my knowledge of rum as much as any other source. Of course my wallet has been lightened in the process because of their advice and/or suggestions, but I’ve enjoyed venturing down the rum rabbit hole, especially since the bourbon rabbit hole can be so frustrating at times.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^If I recall correctly, Captain Jimbo used to be an active member here.

Yes and yes.  @The Black Tot and @tanstaafl2 have been extremely helpful in my rum journey, but has also crushed my wallet as well.

Captain Jimbo's Rum Project is phenomenal but out-of-date now I believe.  The sugar list is a lifesaver.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yes and yes.  @The Black Tot and @tanstaafl2 have been extremely helpful in my rum journey, but has also crushed my wallet as well.

Captain Jimbo's Rum Project is phenomenal but out-of-date now I believe.  The sugar list is a lifesaver.

He actually showed back up with a redesigned website a few weeks ago. Still pretty quiet there though.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:09 PM, Nomad said:

He actually showed back up with a redesigned website a few weeks ago. Still pretty quiet there though.

Can you post a link please?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.