What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I reached back in the cabinet and pulled out a not that oldie but a real goody... I’m surprised this bottle is not empty, I love this rye..

D14626CC-9474-4476-B3FB-CA3C719381C9.thumb.jpeg.d8bf3831faace0be96d32329b75344f3.jpeg

• I like it 10

Maybe not sexy or exotic but this is such a solid pour.

IMG_8780.jpg

I was able to network a much needed transfer/promotion for one of our analysts at work. As a thank you after lunch we took a trip to TW and she told me to pick a bottle. I think she was a bit surprised I picked WT101.

• I like it 8

Second pour of this one. First pour didn’t do much for me. This one tonight is amazing. Oily goodness!

7275E606-BDCB-4A04-8727-937D2A2A98D7.jpeg

• I like it 5

I poured out the first 3 oz from a newly opened botlte of KCSiBR. Definitely had a good time drinking that down.

Second pour of this one. First pour didn’t do much for me. This one tonight is amazing. Oily goodness!

7275E606-BDCB-4A04-8727-937D2A2A98D7.thumb.jpeg.cdad996f5819b56fb47b9a22d69f0817.jpeg

Is this significantly better than the RRSB rye? I may need to make the splurge as I’m a big WT rye fan.

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Is this significantly better than the RRSB rye? I may need to make the splurge as I’m a big WT rye fan.

I definitely had a little buyers remorse after the first pour. It’s better that RRSB. Is it $130 better? Probably. But I ration my honey bottles when I find em. So I’m good w the money spent now. 

I had a buddy over last night and we went about opening some squirreled away bottles. The only rye that can out was an older HWMWND from the good old Perkins days.

I'm having a pour of Wilderness Trail Rye (store pick) 117p. Its 3y 11m old. Not bad for the age. Very rye forward for a 56% rye, almost like 4y MGP. I will get one again when I see a 5 year old. 
19C022AE-30AE-4819-9E54-584FCAAE0044.thumb.jpeg.095914ba4805f475f2138dcc5d5c2c14.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 3

Enjoying some cornerstone tonight.

Really digging the sweet/spicy balance on this one, coupled with the delicate, lingering warmth it provides on the finish   It’s exactly what I was looking for on this cold evening.

Thick and oily, this is a whiskey you can really “chew” on.

EA06D6BC-B9A1-4A7A-9284-545D4B7C2400.jpeg

• I like it 3

Another pour of the recently released (in GA) Dads Hat BIB. This is a kick ass rye I enjoyed from the first pour and it has continued to impress, nice spice, a balance of well developed and layered sweetness. This will be a staple in the rye section of the bunker. I guess I am digging the crafties as New Riff, Wilderness Trail and now Dads Hat have all become regulars now and going forward, Pikesville, Ritt and WP10 remain mainstays as well. So nice that there is such a variety of ryes out there to enjoy these days.

• I like it 4

34 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

So nice that there is such a variety of ryes out there to enjoy these days.

Agreed! Not only for sipping, but for cocktails as well.

Prost!!   Phil

• I like it 2

I bought a bottle of Ezra Brooks rye today. I’ve heard it isn’t very good, and is young MGP and a relatively low proof. But, I saw one on a clearance rack for $11 so at that price I figured I might as well try it just for fun, and then it’ll get mixed in cabin cocktails without much to regret 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:39 PM, LCWoody said:

I reached back in the cabinet and pulled out a not that oldie but a real goody... I’m surprised this bottle is not empty, I love this rye..

D14626CC-9474-4476-B3FB-CA3C719381C9.thumb.jpeg.d8bf3831faace0be96d32329b75344f3.jpeg

Those SAOS ryes were great.  I was fortunate enough to acquire a dozen or so of those bottles when they were available.  Sadly (but enjoyably) they are now all gone.  But they were really, really good.

• I like it 2

Feeling blue in Lower Merion, PA tonight as we recall our splendid native son.    Funny thing,  bourbon is  salve for this kind of sadness,  because it helps one drill down to the nitty gritty,  and feel deeply enough to detect  a whisper of the grand secret.  It is a damn fine day to be alive, which is the real meaning of the parting glass.    

A special rye fits the mood, and the jazz I'm playing (Houston Person).    I was in the State store this afternoon,  and they had a couple of bottles of Stoll & Wolfe Rye.   The S&W distillery in Lititz is producing now,  but this was distilled in Virginia by Dick Stoll,  who's the former master distiller at Michter's in Schaeferstown.   This is now a straight - my bottle says it's 45 months old -  and it is a sweet smash Kentucky-style rye, with I think 27% corn in the mashbill.    It's lovely,  with a dilly sweetness that I reminds me of the freshest possible Pennsylvania lager,  right from the tap at the brewery in anthracite country.    

If you like Peerless Rye,  you'll like this - and I think this is better because the balance is well-nye perfect.   Oily and sweet (like butterscotch)  with rye spice at the closing curtain.  

Too soon gone.   

Edited by Jazzhead

Long @#$% day needed a brash pour - so went with the 2018 Knob Creek CS for the win.  Take that Tuesday!!

• I like it 3

WTF is wrong with my bottles, can't have a nice drink with the cork intact these days. Anyways, I improvised with a knife to pull out the piece in the neck and found a replacement. This is Act 5, hope one of the decent ones.

IMG_20200128_213054.jpg

Whistlepig store pick.   Haven't gone back to this one for awhile and I'm tasting the dill.  Anyone know how to know which ones were the MGP liquid?  It doesn't mention Indiana on the bottle anywhere.  This one came from a large Texas chain (Spec's) and they don't have the barrel info readily available. I think I've had this one about one year.

I like this stuff! It's sweet upfront, has some nice flavors of vanilla and almonds maybe and lasts a long time in the mouth.

It is not the stuff made in lexington (it is just bottled in lexington). Is it mgp?

The stuff being made in lexington at the James Pepper Distillery is not that good. They started again in here doing bourbon 3 years ago I think. 20200126_113439.jpg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Kane said:

WTF is wrong with my bottles, can't have a nice drink with the cork intact these days. Anyways, I improvised with a knife to pull out the piece in the neck and found a replacement. This is Act 5, hope one of the decent ones.

IMG_20200128_213054.jpg

Second pour. I only had Act 2 waaay before, so that's my point of reference. This is still good and doesn't taste young. BUT there is loads more port than I remember. Not very balanced, and I wonder if that's a trick to mask the young rye. Still worth the money I paid. Any comparisons with the latest act would be appreciated.

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Whistlepig store pick.   Haven't gone back to this one for awhile and I'm tasting the dill.  Anyone know how to know which ones were the MGP liquid?  It doesn't mention Indiana on the bottle anywhere.  This one came from a large Texas chain (Spec's) and they don't have the barrel info readily available. I think I've had this one about one year.

I know @Bbstout had emailed WP and had recurved confirmations on details of various barrels in the past. Although I think they stopped inquiring to those responses now which he may be able to confirm. But unless the employees who did the barrel pick are available to talk about it, their labels don’t offer any clues 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.