What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Double WhistlePig 12yo Farmstock at the Delta Club followed by a Foursquare 11yo Zinfandel that mysteriously appeared. Gonna be a long day.

Whistlepig Piggyback 6yo. Very good. However, does it count as American Rye since it is sourced from Canada?

On 1/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, Kepler said:

Whistlepig store pick.   Haven't gone back to this one for awhile and I'm tasting the dill.  Anyone know how to know which ones were the MGP liquid?  It doesn't mention Indiana on the bottle anywhere.  This one came from a large Texas chain (Spec's) and they don't have the barrel info readily available. I think I've had this one about one year.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:38 PM, BottledInBond said:

I know @Bbstout had emailed WP and had recurved confirmations on details of various barrels in the past. Although I think they stopped inquiring to those responses now which he may be able to confirm. But unless the employees who did the barrel pick are available to talk about it, their labels don’t offer any clues 

Taters were creating a scene with the MGP sourced ones so WP stopped revealing the source.

• I like it 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kane said:

WTF is wrong with my bottles, can't have a nice drink with the cork intact these days. Anyways, I improvised with a knife to pull out the piece in the neck and found a replacement. This is Act 5, hope one of the decent ones.

IMG_20200128_213054.jpg

I'm sure you may know this already, inverting the bottles, helps so that the liquid lubricates the cork a bit.  Gentle twisting first or as you start to pull usually allows you to see if the cork is coming out correctly or not.  With High west corks, the glue (where they glued the cork to the wooden knob) usually fails first, so it is slightly unusual that yours broke within the cork, but I have seen it happen before.  I usually examine my corks for large fractures or weak spots when they are out of the bottle.  Always keep extra high west corks around, because not only do they fit their bottles, but they fit many other bottles as well.

Anyway, I have a lot of older HW bottles.  I recommend always inverting the bottle to get it wet a bit and then gently twisting to "break" it loose.  Should come right out for you after that as long as you twist when you pull.  Once removed, any corks that look suspect are immediately replaced.

Regarding the MWND, IMO, Act 5 was the last of the really good MWND.  I'm hoping that HW proves me wrong someday, but I'm not holding my breath.  They new stuff is alright as far as finished ryes go, but I feel like they should lower the price accordingly as the quality and age have dropped significantly.  I think the current MWND should be priced in line with the Yippie Ki Yay or Bourye, in the $70 range (which ironically is where it used to be for batches 2-4).

Act 3 is probably the best to my palate in terms of balancing the rye and fruit taste.

Act 2 seems more rye forward, and Act 4 & 5 seem more fruit forward.

Act 4 is where (I believe) slightly more MGP started to get put in the mix as the older Barton rye began to dwindle.

Act 5 definitely has more MGP notes to me than previous batches, but I like MGP rye, so it's not really a negative.

Alas,  this is mostly from memory as I have never done a sbs other than Act 2 with Act 3.

I also have no insider knowledge.  All of my statements are just based on my experience and hypothesis.

?‍♂️

• I like it 1

Got up way too early this morning to drive an hour and a half for a trail race that was not easy. After that, and running errands with the wife the rest of the day it is time to relax. Decided to celebrate a good day with a great pour. 

161E2AFA-5D39-4E7D-8AD6-0B87DE48C8FC.jpeg

• I like it 1

Doing a little science tonight, interestingly the older DSP 1 bottle is standing up better than I thought it would, the DSP 354 is probably the winner of the bunch but I wouldn't kick any of 'em out of bed.  The newer bottle may be suffering from some extended air time, probably hasn't been opened in 15-16 months but I typically don't believe in such things. 

y4mlupU1V7f-dOs0m91jD7XIPVch55GY7XxC5h3r

• I like it 7

Traded in multiple drink vouchers plus a handsome tip for a Sazerac 18 at the hotel bar here in Boston. Nice bartender.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Traded in multiple drink vouchers plus a handsome tip for a Sazerac 18 at the hotel bar here in Boston. Nice bartender.

Well done sir. I assume it was more recent BT distilled Saz 18? How was it? The only BT distilled Saz 18 I've had was from the first year they transitioned to their own stock and was pretty bad. It unanimously came in dead last in double blind of 4 ryes. I've heard it's gotten better.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Well done sir. I assume it was more recent BT distilled Saz 18? How was it? The only BT distilled Saz 18 I've had was from the first year they transitioned to their own stock and was pretty bad. It unanimously came in dead last in double blind of 4 ryes. I've heard it's gotten better.

Very understated and delicate, which is what I like about this rye. I can see how it would fail in a multi bottle shootout— other than the finish, which is one of the best in my book. I can still taste it, in a ghost sense, five hours later. 

This bottle tastes like citrus so it makes a great rye old fashioned. Only a few more pours left. I miss her already! 

36852525-00E6-4566-AAB7-583A3F704B5A.jpeg

• I like it 1

“Nice Narmot”. 13yr BP 121 proof. The color is fascinating almost looks like it was barreled in a sherry barrel. Taste wobderful, probably Canadian but wouldn’t be suprised If it’s MGP.

IMG_8899.thumb.jpg.ee01d951d523ef3da4f962b52e7704d3.jpg

IMG_8898.thumb.jpg.31b523d0906f1d063968f5f7d56d97b1.jpg

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

“Nice Narmot”. 13yr BP 121 proof. The color is fascinating almost looks like it was barreled in a sherry barrel. Taste wobderful, probably Canadian but wouldn’t be suprised If it’s MGP.

Having some "Narmot" that tastes "wobderful" leads me to believe that its 121 proof has done a number on you :) 

Having some "Narmot" that tastes "wobderful" leads me to believe that its 121 proof has done a number on you [emoji4] 

Ha can’t argue with this. Although sometimes my grammar and spelling tends to get better the more I drink.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

Bone snapper rye from backbone. Currently sitting at 27 months at 108. It is by far my favorite mgp 

If you can find Bone Snapper X Ray Rye, buy it. It's a 4 yr 110 proof MGP rye, and it's really nice. 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_8899.thumb.jpg.ee01d951d523ef3da4f962b52e7704d3.jpg

IMG_8898.thumb.jpg.31b523d0906f1d063968f5f7d56d97b1.jpg

As a Big Lebowski fan, I approve the name of this private select. 

• I like it 1

Finished off a 1L bottle of WTR101. Yes, I know it has been described as a barely legal rye by some but I still enjoy it. The only place in the KC area that I've seen stock it on the shelf is about an hour away in Martin City but the wine and spirits department at a supermarket much closer will order it for me, @ $40+tx. It takes about a week. A good bottle to have around and opened. Jimmy and Eddie know their whiskey!

• I like it 2

I like this stuff! It's sweet upfront, has some nice flavors of vanilla and almonds maybe and lasts a long time in the mouth.

It is not the stuff made in lexington (it is just bottled in lexington). Is it mgp?

The stuff being made in lexington at the James Pepper Distillery is not that good. They started again in here doing bourbon 3 years ago I think. 20200126_113439.thumb.jpg.225903201634e32b39f08ba782f85ce1.jpg
I love this juice too. I didn't think it would be that good, but I'm glad that I took a chance. It's expensive here up north, but it's worth it compared to other ryes.

14 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Finished off a 1L bottle of WTR101. Yes, I know it has been described as a barely legal rye by some but I still enjoy it. The only place in the KC area that I've seen stock it on the shelf is about an hour away in Martin City but the wine and spirits department at a supermarket much closer will order it for me, @ $40+tx. It takes about a week. A good bottle to have around and opened. Jimmy and Eddie know their whiskey!

My staple rye I always have. Luckily for me, I can generally get it for $30/liter here. At that price it’s a tremendous value

• I like it 1

My bottle of James E. Pepper Barrel Proof states that it is distilled in Indiana. I would guess that means it's MGP.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I don't have a problem with barely legal ryes, in fact I quite like many of them. 

I do think that barely legal ryes and 95% & higher ryes should be considered completely different categories when doing tasting comparison or judging them in spirits "competitions"

• I like it 3

A recent discussion in another thread led me to get into a open JEP BP.  Pretty tasty MGP rye, and and even if a bit young, the price was right!   

Local place takes their 3y rye and finishes it in an ex bourbon, ex maple syrup barrel.

The rye retains much of its spice, but also develops a light maple flavor and sweetness that’s very nice in the winter.

CF5334CE-ACE4-4593-9AC4-B41D72E082CE.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.