What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

@The Black Tot You asked for my impressions on a bottle of Wilderness Trail rye I picked up. Since I’m half way through it I feel like I know it pretty well. @LCWoody mentioned it reminded him of 4 yr MGP and I agree, but I think it’s better maybe even as good as a 6. My bottle is 4 yr 5 mo by the way. Willett's 4 yr ryes are similar too. I’ve found a pretty consistent progression of sweet stewed fruit, maybe apricot, alcohol heat (113 p) that is very manageable and enjoyable moving to a little rye spice then some baking spice like clove. I hop more age will improve the mouthfeel but it’s not thin. The finish actually sticks around a while. 

$60 is a lot of money for whiskey to me. I’m glad I bought this but probably won’t by another at that price until it’s 5.5 or 6. Cheers!

Edited by CUfan99
  • I like it 2

Picked up a 1.75L of KC rye.  I use rye in alot of cocktails but I really have a hard time finding rye in the family size bottles.  I have only seen Bulleit in that size and I really don't care for it.  Can others find rye, whatever brand, in that format?

3 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

Picked up a 1.75L of KC rye.  I use rye in alot of cocktails but I really have a hard time finding rye in the family size bottles.  I have only seen Bulleit in that size and I really don't care for it.  Can others find rye, whatever brand, in that format?

That's interesting, as I've not really ever thought about it. Baby Saz big bottles are out there somewhere, but not in my market. I'm not sure of any others. I'm not even sure I've seen the big KC rye bottles. 

Went out to a nice steakhouse for our Valentine's Day dinner tonight instead of last night.  Great New York Strip, and a really nice cabernet alongside.

This place has an impressive whiskey selection and the wife said "go for it" so I did. Went ahead and ordered a 2 oz pour of the Van Winkle 13 yr rye.  I thought it was the finest rye I'd ever tasted a few  years ago when I had it then. It still is today.

16 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

That's interesting, as I've not really ever thought about it. Baby Saz big bottles are out there somewhere, but not in my market. I'm not sure of any others. I'm not even sure I've seen the big KC rye bottles. 

Don't know of any others off hand. Oddly you never see Rittenhouse in handles or even 1 Liter bottles which is something bars might use. It was allegedly why the WT101 came back as a liter bottle, so that bars would use it. It wasn't intended for us mere home consumers apparently. Got to think that that was a Campari driven decision.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't know of any others off hand. Oddly you never see Rittenhouse in handles or even 1 Liter bottles which is something bars might use. It was allegedly why the WT101 came back as a liter bottle, so that bars would use it. It wasn't intended for us mere home consumers apparently. Got to think that that was a Campari driven decision.

I have never seen a large bottle of baby Saz or just about any rye whiskey.  I have seen the 1L WT101, when I can find them, and am grateful for that but would certainly welcome Ritt in a large format.   To me it seems odd that with an increase in rye consumption, assuming that us true, that we don't see the major producers putting out the larger bottles.

1 hour ago, TwoFingers said:

I have never seen a large bottle of baby Saz or just about any rye whiskey.  I have seen the 1L WT101, when I can find them, and am grateful for that but would certainly welcome Ritt in a large format.   To me it seems odd that with an increase in rye consumption, assuming that us true, that we don't see the major producers putting out the larger bottles.

Rye production is still a blip on what they produce, which is reflective of the overall relative small quantity the market drinks.  It’s not surprising to me then, that most bottle sizes top out at 750s,  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Rye production is still a blip on what they produce, which is reflective of the overall relative small quantity the market drinks.  It’s not surprising to me then, that most bottle sizes top out at 750s,  

I wasn't thinking that smaller distillers would put them out but the big ones might.   Just wishful thinking I guess.  At least I know I might be able to get the KC regularly.

39 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

I wasn't thinking that smaller distillers would put them out but the big ones might.   Just wishful thinking I guess.  At least I know I might be able to get the KC regularly.

I was only thinking the legacies, too.  Regardless, I like the way you think big, mister!!  ??

On 2/16/2020 at 6:35 PM, Marekv8 said:

WhistlePig 10yo Rye is available in a 3 Liter bottle— talk about shelf presence.

Not in the US though right?

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not in the US though right?

Not that I’ve seen so far. Thinking about reeling one in anyway—  just for fun. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:01 AM, Marekv8 said:

Not that I’ve seen so far. Thinking about reeling one in anyway—  just for fun. 

Go for it. I remember seeing what I remember as the 4.5 L jug of JB White on a shelf at the distillery tour. Ginormous!

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Go for it. I remember seeing what I remember as the 4.5 L jug of JB White on a shelf at the distillery tour. Ginormous!

Thank you for your support-- let me see what I can do.

• I like it 1

Trader Joe’s trip this morning for the staples. Paper towels, tp, hand soap, coffee, and Rittenhouse Rye! $20 for this bottle makes me happy. 

AF61D5D8-D527-46E5-A1E5-84E404FFCD91.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

Man you know how to make someone jealous.  What a great price.

Certainly is a great price. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen the family size Baby Saz before.

I bought a bottle of the Saz Rye the other day and loved it! I’ve tried a few different ryes over the last 3 months and nothing really caught me wondering “why haven’t I been drinking this all along” until I tried this. 

I need one of you to talk me out of going and clearing the shelf of this here! 

57CD28A9-4349-4EC9-9464-C10EDD679251.jpeg

Edited by Not_That_Fancy
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I bought a bottle of the Saz Rye the other day and loved it! I’ve tried a few different ryes over the last 3 months and nothing really caught me wondering “why haven’t I been drinking this all along” until I tried this. 

I need one of you to talk me out of going and clearing the shelf of this here! 

The only reason to clear the shelf would be if Baby Saz was going away, and as far as I know it isn't. However, if the prices are like what LCWoody posted ^^^^, I might re-think things :) 

3 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Man you know how to make someone jealous.  What a great price.

Who are you and what have you done with the wheater guy?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.