What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

The micro barreled rye is no longer what they sell, thankfully, as I never did get into their microbarreled whiskey.

Woodinville Rye is good. It's even better at cask strength if you can find it.

Thanks for the corrective update— I’ll have to give the new offering a go. I’ve been meaning to visit the distillery, but it’s a bit further north than my usual Tacoma/Portland circuit. 

I’m relieved that I won’t feel obligated to drink the earlier version this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks for the corrective update— I’ll have to give the new offering a go. I’ve been meaning to visit the distillery, but it’s a bit further north than my usual Tacoma/Portland circuit. 

I’m relieved that I won’t feel obligated to drink the earlier version this weekend. 

Lol!!

Next time you are in the PNW I will take you there. I will also pour for you some cask strength Rye and Bourbon (store picks I did with my local) so you can see what they are capable of. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Lol!!

Next time you are in the PNW I will take you there. I will also pour for you some cask strength Rye and Bourbon (store picks I did with my local) so you can see what they are capable of. 

Thanks Steve, most appreciated! I just checked my early bottle of Woodinville Bourbon and it too seems to be of questionable merit. Appears as though the LVMH relationship has served them well.

Wilderness Trail BP rye. It was a love at first sip and damn if it doesn’t get more delicious with each pour. 
I have to ration this one carefully as it could very easily evaporate much faster than I will have funds to replace it.

• I like it 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:47 PM, 0895 said:

It’s no secret that I love MGP rye.

This 15y NCF barrel proof at 91p is pretty fantastic.  Very mellow and easy sipping.

??

82C0B909-83AE-4536-8DFD-047E82B8F2E7.jpeg

Is this a distillery Gift shop release?

On 1/29/2020 at 4:38 PM, BottledInBond said:

I know @Bbstout had emailed WP and had recurved confirmations on details of various barrels in the past. Although I think they stopped inquiring to those responses now which he may be able to confirm. But unless the employees who did the barrel pick are available to talk about it, their labels don’t offer any clues 

WP released alot of MGP Rye starting around 2-3 years ago. Specs sold alot of MGP store picks. They were all around 12 years.

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Is this a distillery Gift shop release?

No, it was a part of their regular distribution a few years back.

Didn't attract as much attention as the Willett or Smooth Ambler bottles did.

• I like it 1

Picked up a Pinhook Rye'd On - from what I've read, the first whiskey off the new stills at Castle & Key being sold retail.  Was hoping to grab one in Kentucky this April, but figured seeing it in Knoxville was a sign.  Now just have to wait to get home to crack it open (at least that's what the sideways glance from the wifey seems to indicate).

18 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Picked up a Pinhook Rye'd On - from what I've read, the first whiskey off the new stills at Castle & Key being sold retail.  Was hoping to grab one in Kentucky this April, but figured seeing it in Knoxville was a sign.  Now just have to wait to get home to crack it open (at least that's what the sideways glance from the wifey seems to indicate).

That sideways glance from your wife is; Your flush ain’t shite.  Here’s 20 more to see my full boat. ?

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That sideways glance from your wife is; Your flush ain’t shite.  Here’s 20 more to see my full boat. ?

:lol: I may pull the 'But dear, I need to sanitize the hotel drinkwear, and while just under 100 proof - this is our BEST CHANCE at surviving this trip!' 

But I've bluffed before . . . and it wasn't pretty :lol: 

• I like it 1

Tonight myself and some co-workers went to a local spot. I had a thh from 2018. Which was fine. Just what you would expect. Then after a to-do because someone ordered a btac a crowd ensued. This was uncomfortable at best. The house, seeing this reaction (to my $42 pour) offered me a willet 6 year rye (green neckband) which was bad. I don't know how else to describe it. Like rancid prunes. I hope it was a one off bad bottle.  But apparently it's been moving pretty well. I can't believe this is a product willet intended the market to enjoy.

15 hours ago, Mattk said:

Tonight myself and some co-workers went to a local spot. I had a thh from 2018. Which was fine. Just what you would expect. Then after a to-do because someone ordered a btac a crowd ensued. This was uncomfortable at best. The house, seeing this reaction (to my $42 pour) offered me a willet 6 year rye (green neckband) which was bad. I don't know how else to describe it. Like rancid prunes. I hope it was a one off bad bottle.  But apparently it's been moving pretty well. I can't believe this is a product willet intended the market to enjoy.

At 6 years, that Willett rye would be among the very first things that they distilled. It took them a while to dial in their processes. They had some very odd distillate that made it into barrels those early days. I tasted some of it while on a barrel pick. I've also tasted some good Willett rye so I'm guessing it's a one off.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

also tasted some good Willett rye so I'm guessing it's a one off.

I hope so. I really enjoyed many other willets before. This bottle was so off, and my first time with a six year. I am found myself really wondering if it was the juice or something had happened to that particular bottle.  Thanks

I’m a number of pours into this Wilderness Trail over the last couple of weeks, and it’s hotter than Hades.  I’ve tried water and ice, but those just seem to break down any interesting flavors that the whiskey offers.  It’s a low barrel proof at only 112, but drinks like 150.  But, there are nice notes in there, that with a little work I can mine out.  But the fire flames them out too quickly.  Those notes of dried flower potpourri, herbs, and a nice oiliness will keep me interested in exploring future releases, but there’s still a lot of work to be done by this House.  Something’s off with the heat.  

964EC67B-8A26-4F0E-A093-4ECC64C042F5.jpeg

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m a number of pours into this Wilderness Trail over the last couple of weeks, and it’s hotter than Hades.  I’ve tried water and ice, but those just seem to break down any interesting flavors that the whiskey offers.  It’s a low barrel proof at only 112, but drinks like 150.  But, there are nice notes in there, that with a little work I can mine out.  But the fire flames them out too quickly.  Those notes of dried flower potpourri, herbs, and a nice oiliness will keep me interested in exploring future releases, but there’s still a lot of work to be done by this House.  Something’s off with the heat.  

With your experience, if you're that far into the bottle without being able to make it acceptable, it's doubtful it'll ever happen.  I applaud your tenacity but is it really worth your time? Life's too short to put up with shitty whiskey.

BTW...... since when does 57.5 abv equate to 112 proof?

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

A Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Rye that I’ve had open for many years. I proofed if down to just under 50% and it’s really a great pour. 

• I like it 1

On 3/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, Marekv8 said:

A Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Rye that I’ve had open for many years. I proofed if down to just under 50% and it’s really a great pour. 

I don't know if you are aware but they make a 6 year old 90 proof rye that is really quite good ;) 

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't know if you are aware but they make a 6 year old 90 proof rye that is really quite good ;) 

Thanks-- found an open bottle of that expression as well with only a small taste removed, so packed a 50mL sample for my weekend kit. Hope to post a report later.

Regards, Dave

IMG_4049.thumb.jpg.8fb59605cbd8ed6c440900993d068cdc.jpg

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Kane said:

After a day of no gas no electricity the inside climate is appropriate for a HW Midwinter's.

Good luck to you 

On 3/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, smokinjoe said:

Barrel to barrel variation may be rearing its head. My WT Rye is from a different barrel and its fantastic, full flavored, great texture. barrel 15D17.

RR SB ryes are supposed to be great and I am currently working through one that is ... ok at best. I am sure others barrels are night and day different. I am still puzzled over how mine was a winner for single barrel bottling. so it goes beyond WT.

• I like it 1

Enjoy MGP 95/5 ryes.  Generally, if I can find any barrel strength MGP ryes in the 7-10 year range, is where I have the most luck for my palate.  Obviously enjoy Booker's Rye, but my bottle is gone and those are too tough to come by.

Was finally able to acquire another bottle a couple of weeks ago. Now to see if it is as good as the previous one. 

91669432-F695-4FD5-AB17-02AB4C9470AF.jpeg

On 3/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Barrel to barrel variation may be rearing its head. My WT Rye is from a different barrel and its fantastic, full flavored, great texture. barrel 15D17.

RR SB ryes are supposed to be great and I am currently working through one that is ... ok at best. I am sure others barrels are night and day different. I am still puzzled over how mine was a winner for single barrel bottling. so it goes beyond WT.

In MD. We also got the 15d17 I really liked it. All three I was able to find were from that barrel

• I like it 1

Still 630 5 Year. This is THH good! 

Gonna be a rye night. I think I'll have a Sazerac next (not made with the S630 tho!)

20200322_183410.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.