What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, Mattk said:

Tasting bottles in an aliterative manner. Redemption 10 year rye, rough rider big stick rye, and Rittenhouse BIB rye

IMG_20200411_122529.jpg

Interested about the redemption rye, local store has is for $90. Is it an awesome pour? I am very tempted and would appreciate anyone's advise. 

3 hours ago, Oli77 said:

Interested about the redemption rye, local store has is for $90. Is it an awesome pour? I am very tempted and would appreciate anyone's advise. 

If you like MGP rye this isn't a terrible price for 10yo BP rye in today's market. Seems like it is mid $80's to $100 around here as I recall.

I am not sure who is picking and blending their barrels (I don't think this is a single barrel, right?) but older MGP rye is pretty good in general so it would be hard to screw it up too badly and I don't see a lot of older MGP rye on the market anymore. I don't know that they have access to the quality barrels Smooth Amber managed to pick back in the day but my past experience with Redemption was pretty good. I haven't tried this particular release. 

But if you want to know if this is something you will like the only way is to try it for yourself! Maybe you can find it in a local bar first?

3 hours ago, Oli77 said:

I’d love to get feedback on their rye as well.  I’m sure we’re overpaying with Redemption barrel proof expressions since it’s MGP sourced, but the bourbon & high rye bourbon is fantastic.  It’s not a deal by any means, but it’s def good stuff.  

11 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

But if you want to know if this is something you will like the only way is to try it for yourself! Maybe you can find it in a local bar first?

Just occurred to me that I had completely forgotten about quarantine! Oops.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just occurred to me that I had completely forgotten about quarantine! Oops.

Yep, can't do the bar, but the local liquor store has an open drive thru!... has the bottle in the store....need to try something new.... Thanks for the description of the product. I am a sucker for MGP ryes, at 10 years old, ...think I'm gonna bite.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:06 AM, Oli77 said:

Yes, its a really good rye. I have one open now and find myself drinking it about 2 to 3 times a week. I also picked up about 4 for backups. :P
E2CC6BE1-12B7-43BC-A894-4004159DB0C6.thumb.jpeg.8d45f4f327162bac7b90c74e32fb5939.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 3

On 4/15/2020 at 10:06 AM, Oli77 said:

I really like it. It was the best rye on the table by far. It really doesn't taste like what you would expect a mgp to. The dill is not present, but a mint note prevails, fading to allspice. Both the nose and finish are hot, but the sip is smooth as butter. I'll get another when this one is gone. But it doesn't make it to the top shelf.

• I like it 2

Not a big rye fan but recently I have been jonesing for a bottle of Whistlepig. Which one would this group recommend. 

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Not a big rye fan but recently I have been jonesing for a bottle of Whistlepig. Which one would this group recommend. 

Of any ever? Boss hog #2. Easily available but pricy? 15 year. Good enough and accessible? A 10 year barrel pick from mgp. But you have to find out from the store if that's what they have, wp has become less transparent in their replies to inquiry as of late. If you can find a hotchsteader's 16 it is an adl like wp but better treated.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, LCWoody said:

Yes, its a really good rye. I have one open now and find myself drinking it about 2 to 3 times a week. I also picked up about 4 for backups. :P
E2CC6BE1-12B7-43BC-A894-4004159DB0C6.thumb.jpeg.8d45f4f327162bac7b90c74e32fb5939.jpeg

Cheers to that.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

If they are still out there, look for the 10yr single barrel store picks.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

If you have not had it the standard 10yr 100p is a very nice pour. There are also minis of that standard version out there for just a few bucks if you want a taste without committing to a 750. A fun one if you can find the combo is a private selection AND the mini standard version for SBS tasting. 

Having some Wilderness Trail Rye to start the night. This is a four year old store pick and the proof is 117. I think this will be a very good rye in another 2 to 3 years, it’s pretty damn good now. This bottle has a very unique lemonade taste. I’m sure I will be enjoying this over an ice ball this  summer. I’m enjoying it over an ice ball now. :D

F2917AE6-26B7-400B-905E-74D53008EBEE.thumb.jpeg.d649d0b6f97ad03166fc3f2a016f0d98.jpeg

• I like it 4

Cracked a copper fox tonight. It's my rye I go to when I want absolutely all the flavors at once.

IMG_20200418_190550.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

+1 for the good old standard 10. Store picks are awesome too, but there's something about that default expression.

Had a pour of Michters Toasted Rye from a friend. My Lord, that was great... I believe I now know what bottles I will be chasing until I grab a couple... May tighten up the other buying for this specifically. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying a nice pour of a Big Red Liquors store select Smooth Ambler Old Scout, 8 Year Barrel Proof Rye.  120 proof.  I believe it is from 2014.  Nice MGP rye similar in profile to some of the older WFE sourced ryes.  Much more nuanced and less dill influence than younger MGP ryes.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Whistlepig.  I appreciate the advice given by those on this thread.  Never been steered wrong by the bourbonites.   As I indicated, when I started back into bourbons, I was not a fan of the high rye bourbons as they rye spice seemed harsh to me.  As a consequence, i gravitated to the Wheaters and frankly,  the caramel/vanilla forward bourbons remain my favorites. I must say that this rye was surprising smooth and rounded.  I really enjoyed it a  great deal.  So thanks again, everyone.  

I also picked up a bottle of the botanist gin for our coronations (GIn and Tonic). I was using Bombay Sapphire for my G&Ts but The botanist was recommended to me by a friend.  This will be my new goto Gin for G&Ts.  I may still use Hendricks for my cucumber gimlets that we drink in the Summer.  I make my G&Ts using a half ounce of lime juice so they can be a bit "Limey" compared to the traditional recipe.

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.6c446d0aba98cf8c6639f5ebc3ef46c7.jpeg

THe coronotinis must be working, as I have avoided the coronavirus, malaria, and scurvy while under the state at home order.  ?

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Here is the Coronatini - A G&T served on a toilet paper square.

IMG_0869.thumb.jpeg.1f3f5c65aa859c28d448ce9ae7ea603c.jpeg

Now that is funny right there!

I think I’m gonna surprise the wife with one tomorrow afternoon.

Enjoying the front porch with some Whistle Pig Rye after mowing the lawn.  Just waiting for the rain on this 67 degree (F) day.

should probably trim that hedge... ?

DABC2F06-966A-4F7A-A845-6A6997691B1E.jpeg

76040A8D-ACB7-407A-BEFA-D5C421E034DF.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.