What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finishing up a WFE with a few candied rose petals after taking my daughter for a walk in our woods. What a great day 

IMG_20200517_155247.jpg

• I like it 2

THH 2013. The most valuable bottle in my collection, mostly for personal reasons. I was saving this for a special moment. But I'm a scientist, I trust statistical regression analysis --if I didn't get my special moment in the past 7 years, it's improbable that tomorrow's gonna be it. Today it is, watching Netflix after a mediocre dinner and pondering why I'm still single.

PS. Take note of the disaster averted. Compass Box corks make a perfect fit.

IMG_20200517_223829.jpg

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 5

Just picked this up. Looking forward to opening it later this week to see how it is. 

C6404A41-BE49-40E4-BC84-91FAAB97CB8C.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Just picked this up. Looking forward to opening it later this week to see how it is. 

Definitely want to know your thoughts on this one. I have loved every bottle of Cooper spirits product I have ever had.

Haven't had one of these yet. Will remedy now. It was a total impulse purchase, made in Indiana $20,... Don't threaten me with a good time

IMG_20200519_170233.jpg

• I like it 1

Quick follow-up. I bought some watered down mgp. The nose is fleeting. You only get one chance and it's gone. Pretty much smells like nothing. The taste is also very bland, almost as if someone took a two year mgp and watered it down. There is some rye grain on the finish, but it's almost like a rye flavored vodka. Glad I tried it, won't be buying another. There are very few ryes I can say I haven't liked.

Edited by Mattk

And third take. An unsettling sour metallic taste has taken over where one would normally find the dill/mint on the lingering pallet. This may be a drain pour. Or a bottle kept for when someone wants a whiskey coke. I tried. It's just not good. Time for an OF.

Second pour of a newly-opened New Riff BiB rye.  Very nice.  It has a cereal-ness that I really like tonight.  

• I like it 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, Mattk said:

Finishing up a WFE with a few candied rose petals after taking my daughter for a walk in our woods. What a great day 

IMG_20200517_155247.jpg

How was this bottle from beginning to end ?  Just picked up a bottle of the same batch this past weekend and would like to hear your thoughts....

6 hours ago, Freakdog said:

How was this bottle from beginning to end ?  Just picked up a bottle of the same batch this past weekend and would like to hear your thoughts....

It was very good. A bit lighter than most willets I've tried but the grassy funk we all look for is heavily present on both pallet and finish. I drank mine over a relatively short duration, so the beginning was pretty much the same as the end.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:39 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

Under appreciated, IMHO. Probably due to the age. I have a few bottles, it is pretty good. 

I am anxiously awaiting this distillate at 6-8 yrs. 

Cheers 

I purchased a bottle of the 6 year old and besides having the very similar taste as the 4 year old, a more upfront alcohol bite and a higher proof, it was not "better" in my opinion. I wouldn't mind sticking to the 4 year old for the time being. Don't know about the 7 year old, I hear it is a different mashbill.

45 minutes ago, Mattk said:

It was very good. A bit lighter than most willets I've tried but the grassy funk we all look for is heavily present on both pallet and finish. I drank mine over a relatively short duration, so the beginning was pretty much the same as the end.

Who’s looking for the grassy funk, again?  ?

46 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

double post sorry

46 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

I purchased a bottle of the 6 year old and besides having the very similar taste as the 4 year old, a more upfront alcohol bite and a higher proof, it was not "better" in my opinion. I wouldn't mind sticking to the 4 year old for the time being. Don't know about the 7 year old, I hear it is a different mashbill.

Last year the 4 yr was available I anticipated 5 this year, 6 in 2021 having no KY trip this year, is the GS rye 5 or still 4yr?

On topic, I am enjoying some Dads Hat bib. This is a nice rye that fits in between the 100% ryes like WP and NR and the “ barely legals” like Ritt and WT. I  seem to enjoy the whole rye spectrum.

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Who’s looking for the grassy funk, again?  ?

Well if I'm going for a willet I am. I find I to be one of it's defining characteristics. So maybe not you, but many. My list of ryes I love or like is many, the list of dislikes is few.

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Well if I'm going for a willet I am. I find I to be one of it's defining characteristics. So maybe not you, but many. My list of ryes I love or like is many, the list of dislikes is few.

Oh, I thought you said, “we all”.  ?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Mattk said:

Hmm, are you sure you didn’t inadvertently pick up Willet’s recently released Rhum Agricole by mistake???

?

I opened up a bottle OF Rye this afternoon for my rye whiskey Wednesdays habit. It's the second bottle that I've bought and it made a very good impression on the first pour. A great value for only $22.

• I like it 3

Just purchased a local distilleries annual ( I think) cask strength rye. ASW Resurgens rye. I thought the standard version had potential a few years ago when I tried it so hopefully a couple more years and proof points will reinforce my positive initial impression. Plus it’s nice to support a local that’s actually making their own products. They do some sourcing but are primarily an actual distiller.

• I like it 1

Haven’t had a rye in hand in a few months. Loved the first bottle of OFR I had so grabbed another.

35BCC987-9DBB-4DDA-9DB3-42F8187369CE.jpeg

On 5/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, Mattk said:

Don't threaten me with a good time

IMG_20200519_170233.jpg

It sounds like this wasn't very good but I did get a good laugh with your comment "Don't threaten me with a good time."

Found these three all in one store today. Thought they were three batches I hadn't had before, but when I got home I discovered I already had the 108.2.  Oh well, still two new batches to try!! This is my favorite whiskey -- I just can't pass them up when I find them.

EYub_hDXYAAG5lU.thumb.jpg.834cbfd98a9d4739878ea8978158fefb.jpg

• I like it 1

Last night I was really enjoying the Pikesville. Enjoying it so much I ask myself  "Considering the price why do i ever purchase any other rye?"

I'm sure I'll make it back to the Pikesville late tonight, but starting off with bourbon.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.