What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I vaguely remember Beechnut gum, but I don't think I ever tried it. Beechnut chewing tobacco was pretty good, though.

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

This one has nice color for being only 15 months old. It is a strange whiskey. Theres some candy on the nose, and theres certainly some oak influence. I like the spice on the palate. The copper penny thing is a bit dominant, though. 

20200711_182030.jpg

It's definitely a bit of a dessert pour. But I too am amazed at just how much flavor they can get from such a young product down there in texas.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

And Clark’s Teaberry gum!  ?

Man did I love that Teaberry gum as a kid.

This was the extremes of the rye world tasting btw. Many were in fact non straight ryes.

I received calls from 2 friends last weekend asking if I wanted these at MSRP. The whiskey gods shined down upon me. I picked them both up today.

E163AF3C-AC95-456F-A14F-80F6811F4DAC.jpeg

• I like it 7

4 hours ago, Mattk said:

This was the extremes of the rye world tasting btw. Many were in fact non straight ryes.

Indeed! That “Walgreens rye” on the right was probably very extreme! ?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Indeed! That “Walgreens rye” on the right was probably very extreme! ?

It had the thickest mouthfeel of them all.

Small pour of WP Boss Hog V while relaxing after a busy day at work and a hot run afterward. One of my favorite pours. 

14 hours ago, Mattk said:

It had the thickest mouthfeel of them all.

Careful with the isopropyl alcohol, that’s not how blind tasting works. 

• I like it 3

Took about $100 hit on this one. 3 year mgp finished in toasted barrels. Sounds ok. The toasted note does show slightly on the nose. But lacks in the pallet and finish the way michters toasted has. I'd say it's a solid $40 bottle. Glad I tried one. The barrel proof rye is better.

IMG_20200715_201358.jpg

On 7/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, Mattk said:

Many of them, yesterday's social distancing rye tasting.IMG_20200711_184053.thumb.jpg.7676a32342e0ec782330f33e12ed9d74.jpg

How did that hand sanitizer taste?  I haven't found one yet that I like neat.  With a little Sprite, though, and a few cubes, it's not too bad.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

How did that hand sanitizer taste?  I haven't found one yet that I like neat.  With a little Sprite, though, and a few cubes, it's not too bad.

I take mine neat with a frozen charcoal piece and fresh mint in an old fashioned glass

This one is really good though. A poor man's thh. Notes of juicy fruit gum and not much more. 120 something. Not old enough to be straight. But I look forward to stuff in the future. At the moment a solid pour and I go out of my way to make sure I always have one open. Even though it's $70+

IMG_20200715_212143.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mattk said:

This one is really good though. A poor man's thh. Notes of juicy fruit gum and not much more. 120 something. Not old enough to be straight. But I look forward to stuff in the future. At the moment a solid pour and I go out of my way to make sure I always have one open. Even though it's $70+

IMG_20200715_212143.jpg

A poor man’s THH?  As in TH Handy??  From your notes, I can only ask how can these compare??

• I like it 2

56 minutes ago, Mattk said:

This one is really good though. A poor man's thh.   Even though it's $70+

IMG_20200715_212143.jpg

Ive tried it.

Ill spend the extra $30 and get the Handy every single time.

?

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You old timers will drink anything... ?

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A poor man’s THH?  As in TH Handy??  From your notes, I can only ask how can these compare??

Yeah it may be a bit of hyperbole, but I do find that is has a very similar chewing gum note that follows the high proof punch at the start of each sip.

• I like it 1

I guess instead of a confusing reference to such a revered product I should have been focusing more on the note I was finding similar. I really like that juicy fruit gum note. I have found it in so few bottles. However I find myself able to ask the experts. What I should have said, I realize, is has anyone found that alcohol burn to chewing gum note in any other bottles? I may have enjoyed it a bit too much last night.

For fRyeday I received an email that WTRB Rye had landed in GA and one was waiting for me. The flock has now increased by 1. Twas a good day as I have been waiting for this one for a good long time. This may very well wrap up the 2020 purchases as I return to my zen state. 
Soon to be addressed in the what did I open/drink thread/s.

• I like it 2

Started with some HWMWND (a SBS with Act 7 & Act 4; pretty damn similar which is encouraging).  Moved onto a Whistlepig 10yr private selection that is knocking it out of the park.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

For fRyeday I received an email that WTRB Rye had landed in GA and one was waiting for me. The flock has now increased by 1. Twas a good day as I have been waiting for this one for a good long time. This may very well wrap up the 2020 purchases as I return to my zen state. 
Soon to be addressed in the what did I open/drink thread/s

I'm awaiting it's arrival in MD with drooling lips. Please give me tasting notes as I might ruin my pants soon.

Edited by Mattk
Noter is not a word
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.