What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Really enjoying this tonight.

I only ever found one bottle, but there’s a part of me that’s secretly enjoying knowing I don’t have a backup.  Makes each sip very rewarding.

8162F72A-E27E-428F-A228-5EB5F60EC599.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Really enjoying this tonight.

I only ever found one bottle, but there’s a part of me that’s secretly enjoying knowing I don’t have a backup.  Makes each sip very rewarding.

8162F72A-E27E-428F-A228-5EB5F60EC599.jpeg

The Masters Keep bottles are absolute things of beauty.  One of, if not the best looking package in Bourbonia.  Conversely, Campari has dumped the iconic Kentucky Spirit bottle, and has made Russell’s Reserve labels look like it was an also ran at a kindergarten art fair.  Don’t even get me started on the atrocious re-do of the standard 101 label where they took the stately turkey and made it look like a sickly buzzard.  Very, very, odd...

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The Masters Keep bottles are absolute things of beauty.  One of, if not the best looking package in Bourbonia.  

Completely agree.  Love the "flying turkey" embossed into the glass.

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The Masters Keep bottles are absolute things of beauty.  One of, if not the best looking package in Bourbonia.  Conversely, Campari has dumped the iconic Kentucky Spirit bottle, and has made Russell’s Reserve labels look like it was an also ran at a kindergarten art fair.  Don’t even get me started on the atrocious re-do of the standard 101 label where they took the stately turkey and made it look like a sickly buzzard.  Very, very, odd...

12 hours ago, 0895 said:

Completely agree.  Love the "flying turkey" embossed into the glass.

Do you think that some or all bottle and label changes could possibly be for cost saving reasons? Save money on the package so they don’t have to raise prices? ?

Biba! Joe

32 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Do you think that some or all bottle and label changes could possibly be for cost saving reasons? Save money on the package so they don’t have to raise prices? ?

Biba! Joe

That was the reason they gave for the Kentucky Spirit.  Perhaps they saved a couple of bucks on each bottle.  On a near $60 bottle of bourbon?    The recent labels on the standard 101 and RR are just atrocious design.  

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

That was the reason they gave for the Kentucky Spirit.  Perhaps they saved a couple of bucks on each bottle.  On a near $60 bottle of bourbon?    The recent labels on the standard 101 and RR are just atrocious design.  

Crazy huh? Even though I’m not a big WT fan, I agree with you 100 % on the new butt ugly labels. Sad. Maybe we could stay a petition to “bring back the Gobbler”. 

Biba! Joe

Just checking in to say hello, enjoying a pour of DSP354 Rittenhouse that tastes simply magical at the moment. 

• I like it 7

On 9/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, LCWoody said:

This is the first bottle of whiskey I have bought in over four weeks. And I have to say I’m probably going to go buy another...

9BB1B672-E020-4B8F-A10E-93BD697E92EC.thumb.jpeg.cc9294ebd4fc60e569bf28956ea62b8e.jpeg

I am just curious how much “rye” is actually in it. Supposedly 90# rye mashbill. I just wonder about whatever else they could potentially put in it. It is blended Canadian whisky after all. Maybe it is another blending grain whisky of some sort.

Maybe.

But if you like it that is what is most important!

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Just checking in to say hello, enjoying a pour of DSP354 Rittenhouse that tastes simply magical at the moment. 

How you doing?  Our house is ok.

I'll tell you what, this OF 100 Rye really does it for me.  I know it's a bit of an outlier with the malt in the mash bill, and it's not for everyone.  I think it's great.  I only pray they keep making it, and don't screw it up somehow.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

How you doing?  Our house is ok.

Alright, mentally a little frayed but physically fine which is the case with pretty much everyone in my circle at the moment for the first time in a good while and that goes a long way. 

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:22 PM, Mattk said:

So I'm seeing a bunch of there posted recently. Is it really worth the buy? I did enjoy my Barrell rye which is believed to be sourced from them. But sits at 138 proof. Can I get some tasting notes? Thanks

Crown Royal Noble Rye.  Preliminary notes, after one sitting. 

Drinks above it's ABV with a moderate and smooth mouthfeel.  Nothing stands out on the nose, but it's a pretty boldly favorable pour both neat and with one cube dropped in.  Lot's of bread and spice notes, as expected. 

Unexpectedly, it was very fruit forward, particularly on the finish.  With a bit of water I picked up a very distinguishable Concord grape note that reminded me of my younger days, milling about my grandparents vines.  The finish is moderately long, as it not only lingers but also builds for a bit. 

At 16 years, you expect a more complex and layered experience.  This does deliver in that regard.  I will learn and enjoy from this bottle/experience.  However, at this time, I do not plan on seeking out another bottle. 

• I like it 3

For the first time in awhile, I have meandered over to the Canadian aisle while in some stores to see if this one is available.  Haven’t seen one yet, but feel compelled to get one as it sounds interesting, and I like your notes Paddy!  Not sure it’s in GA yet, though.  

On 10/3/2020 at 11:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

I actually turned two of them in to my decanters for our two RR picks.  Very sexy bottles. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Damn, Smokin' Joe Frazier comes out SWINGIN' at Campari!

I however mostly agree with you. While I'm not necessarily a fan of the front label of RR SiB picks, I do like that they've integrated the barrel information in the back label in lieu of the neck tags. 

I also don't like the WT101 labels. I have an older bottle that i reuse when I buy newer bottles. 

I'll never not be butthurt about WTKS getting the bottle downgrade while getting a price increase. DUMB. I'm sure the fantail bottle caught the eye of folks buying a nice gift for a bourbon drinker. There's no one that's having their eye caught with the bottle and label it has now. 

On 8/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, Marekv8 said:

The new Noble, 16 years at 68 bucks— I’m in. 

DD216937-5DE7-4B4F-8905-23A2F927EE0E.jpeg.13e0d2d0ab1d023fa0e418ce64cadee9.jpeg

How is this?  Under $70 for 16 year rye that's at 90proof seems like a steal these days.  I heard it's kind of boring, basically boring Crown.

Picked up Act 8 today. I plan on doing an Act 6/7/8 sbsbs soon. I sbs'd 6 vs 7 last week and 6 was clear winner.

20201007_184939.jpg

On 10/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Clueby said:

Picked up Act 8 today. I plan on doing an Act 6/7/8 sbsbs soon. I sbs'd 6 vs 7 last week and 6 was clear winner.

20201007_184939.jpg

6 was the last batch before they switched to their own product right? If so.. im not surprised it won.

I’ve been enjoying some ‘16 Double Rye this week. Will be on a quest for these or earlier DR .. its really good.

Edited by FasterHorses

Wow, this is really good whiskey.  If I tasted blind, I would never have guessed Canadian, as there is no over done vanilla notes, and there is a definite bite to it.  It’s not what I would call a “massive punch you in the face” whiskey, but it has a feistiness that I so wish more Canadian whiskies would have.  I had high hopes for this based on its specs, and those hopes have been more than delivered upon.   I’ll be a multiple bottle buyer, if so available.  
Wanted to add as I continue to sip on it, is that there is a wonderful breadlines to it.  I don’t  typically find a “rye bread” description in most/any rye whiskies, but this CR has it.  

E74FABC1-25AD-492F-80BE-06B9CCEE95D9.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
Extra Notes.
  • I like it 4

^^^^Nice display shot there bubba.  ?

Do you pick up the light pot still influence (acetone, on the nose)?  That’s really the only thing that gave it away (for me)...

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Nice display shot there bubba.  ?

Do you pick up the light pot still influence (acetone, on the nose)?  That’s really the only thing that gave it away (for me)...

I have to admit, I don’t associate pot still with an acetone note.  I don’t get the acetone on this one, but the breadiness is strong...and really nice.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have to admit, I don’t associate pot still with an acetone note.  I don’t get the acetone on this one, but the breadiness is strong...and really nice.  

I picked up Cognac-like notes in mine, which were quite nice/fruity. Given the Canadian blended rules, I wonder if there’s a wee bit of something nifty in the mix. 

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, FasterHorses said:

6 was the last batch before they switched to their own product right? If so.. im not surprised it won.

I’ve been enjoying some ‘16 Double Rye this week. Will be on a quest for these or earlier DR .. its really good.

I believe 6 was actually the first batch after switching to their own. 

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, smokinjoe said:

Wow, this is really good whiskey.  If I tasted blind, I would never have guessed Canadian, as there is no over done vanilla notes, and there is a definite bite to it.  It’s not what I would call a “massive punch you in the face” whiskey, but it has a feistiness that I so wish more Canadian whiskies would have.  I had high hopes for this based on its specs, and those hopes have been more than delivered upon.   I’ll be a multiple bottle buyer, if so available.  
Wanted to add as I continue to sip on it, is that there is a wonderful breadlines to it.  I don’t  typically find a “rye bread” description in most/any rye whiskies, but this CR has it.  

E74FABC1-25AD-492F-80BE-06B9CCEE95D9.jpeg

I just picked up another bottle of this rye today. A store (gas station) over here has it for $62.99. To me it’s definitely worth putting one in the bunker. 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:34 AM, jnewberg said:

I believe 6 was actually the first batch after switching to their own. 

You mean just from the Barton component of the blend? The current batch is part their own juice, but still blended with MGP

A839350E-714E-4C1B-977C-30C8E99D3CD6.png

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.