What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

45 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Shout out to LCWoody, smokinjoe, mattk, and Paddy for your posts.

Y'all gave me the idea to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.  Very nice.  Especially nice for the money - if a whiskey this nice were marketed as a US-styled bottling it would no doubt cost more.  Not overly complex but very pleasing and with a nice spiciness. A lesson for us all to always keep an open mind.

20201023_211737.jpg

Couldn't agree more.  I bought a case this week.

Making this a happy Fryeday.

Next up is Willett 4 year and it's really tasting fine.  That plum note is working.

• I like it 1

Ok the third and final rung on the rye ladder tonight ... Ky Owl Rye batch 1.  For some reason whenever I drink Willett 4 yr, I always want to follow that with KO Rye, and vice versa.  I get a unique plum note on the palate from both of them, but with the Willett it's wrapped in a young freshness, whereas with the Owl it's wrapped in nicely aged oak.

I said I wasn’t going to do it, but I broke down and purchased another CR Noble rye today.

It’s not that it’s spectacular, but it is uniquely good enough that I’m sure that I’d end up regretting letting the window close on this release without a bunker reference point for future analysis  and comparison.

• I like it 1

Tonight I went to a bar for the first time since March to meet a friend. I had a hotchsteaders 16, followed by a michters 10, after which I had a discussion on the tasting notes of my pours. The rye flight was interrupted by a pour on the house of a palo cortado, which was probably the best sherry I've ever had. I'll be going back to enquire more details. I followed it with a hazmat sib barrell rye. Overall it was one of the best nights I've had in sometime. If you are in Maryland I'd definitely advise stopping by the judges bench for a pour or three. All the plastic tarps throw off the ambiance a bit but the whiskey list has too many pages to easily count.

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Tonight I went to a bar for the first time since March to meet a friend. I had a hotchsteaders 16, followed by a michters 10, after which I had a discussion on the tasting notes of my pours. The rye flight was interrupted by a pour on the house of a palo cortado, which was probably the best sherry I've ever had. I'll be going back to enquire more details. I followed it with a hazmat sib barrell rye. Overall it was one of the best nights I've had in sometime. If you are in Maryland I'd definitely advise stopping by the judges bench for a pour or three. All the plastic tarps throw off the ambiance a bit but the whiskey list has too many pages to easily count.

How was the Hochstadter's 16?

Edited by Radioyada

20 hours ago, Radioyada said:

How was the Hochstadter's 16?

It is enjoyably hot, as. It sits at 124 proof, but has a nice baking spice and pine note to it. Not as much oak as you would think from a 16 year.  But overall a well balanced and delicious sip. I currently have two bottles left in the bunker but couldn't resist drinking from someone else's bottle. But I am slightly biased as I am a huge fan of every rye cooper sourced from Alberta.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

It is enjoyably hot, as. It sits at 124 proof, but has a nice baking spice and pine note to it. Not as much oak as you would think from a 16 year.  But overall a well balanced and delicious sip. I currently have two bottles left in the bunker but couldn't resist drinking from someone else's bottle. But I am slightly biased as I am a huge fan of every rye cooper sourced from Alberta.

I agree.  Love my bottle, and found it very hard to resist buying a second this past weekend.  A very slow sipper for me, and it gets better and better the longer it is in the glass.

9 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

I agree.  Love my bottle, and found it very hard to resist buying a second this past weekend.  A very slow sipper for me, and it gets better and better the longer it is in the glass.

If I find one I buy it. It's not like they are making more. The latest ttb I've seen from them is the lock stock and barrel 20 year. And I thought the LSB 16 and 18 were going the wrong direction. My favorite whiskey ever is the LSB 13. And every time I open one I expect to have built it up in my mind to be better than it really is. But then it is always better then I remembered. RJ cooper died in 2016 I believe. And the company is now being run by others. I also believe the juice was sourced from Alberta, which is now owned by beam. So it may be unlikely a refill of younger whiskey will be happening.

Ironically just last week I decided to go back to a sleepy bottle that I had not revisited in over a year - LSB 16 yr.  And I was struck by how much better it tasted than I remembered it. At the time I bought it a few years ago I was content to stop at purchasing only 1 bottle. But while drinking from it again last week I wish I had bunkered an extra.

15 hours ago, Radioyada said:

This is the one that I just couldn't get into.  Mid-teens aged barrel proof rye is right up my alley but I found my bottle to be a hot mess.  I gave samples to others and they enjoyed it to.  So I guess it's just me. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

This is the one that I just couldn't get into.  Mid-teens aged barrel proof rye is right up my alley but I found my bottle to be a hot mess.  I gave samples to others and they enjoyed it to.  So I guess it's just me. 

It is hot, and not one I reach for often...but that may also be because I have not purchased another bottle yet. Came close this past weekend. 

I did try adding a couple of water drops to one pour, and that really seemed to lower the heat without changing too much in the flavor profile. 

2 hours ago, Radioyada said:

It is hot, and not one I reach for often...but that may also be because I have not purchased another bottle yet. Came close this past weekend. 

I did try adding a couple of water drops to one pour, and that really seemed to lower the heat without changing too much in the flavor profile. 

It's gone now.  I played with all kinds of combinations over about a year and just couldn't get it to works.  On the plus side, I'm one less guy looking for the next one. ;)

• I like it 1

I guess Wilderness Trail is now starting to come into OK. I picked up a bottle of the rye last night on a whim to try. Need to crack it open this weekend...

Picked up a reasonably priced THH today.  Saving it for Thanksgiving with my boys.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

Picked up a reasonably priced THH today.  Saving it for Thanksgiving with my boys.

Good call.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, markandrex said:

There's just something about busting out those special bottles with family on the holidays.

• I like it 2

Was enjoying Barrell Bourbon SiB. 

Now onto RRSiB Rye. IMHO, there is no reason to chase down WTRB Rye.  The RRSiB Rye is spectacular.   Unless one just wants a trophy. 

Cheers

I had a buddy of mine over last Friday. Of course we sipped from a couple of bottles. There were the main four, but another half dozen were served as small comparison sips. You know, for educational purposes.

IMG_20201030_182508.jpg

• I like it 1

A little sbs (saz by saz ???) tonight.

I found the sample of 2016 Saz18 I “won” while cleaning up a bit today (moving bottles around to make it look like I have less than reality), and decided what better excuse to pull out my 2015 for comparison.

As many of you know, the ‘16 was supposedly the first year it was all BT distillate, VS the old tanked stuff from’15 & prior (rumors abound on where it was distilled).

Anyway, they are drastically different.

The ‘16 tastes sweeter and has that BT musty basement aroma thing going on.  The sip is more baking spices and baked goods, but it seems confused about its true identity.

The 15 is very herbal and garden like by comparison.  Fresh and creamy up front, followed by pepper and slight sage or dill perhaps?  Not much sweetness in there.

Very well balanced.

The ‘15 is my winner tonight, being significantly more satisfying to my palate.

BD64676E-DBEF-422F-B680-FA4911EF14B6.jpeg

• I like it 4

Went out for a nice drive today and came across this in Illinois.

Curiosity got the better of me, and why not... I need more rye in my life. 

8B1687CD-E1B4-4B12-8DD1-E08F51C35F7F.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

A little sbs (saz by saz ???) tonight.

I found the sample of 2016 Saz18 I “won” while cleaning up a bit today (moving bottles around to make it look like I have less than reality), and decided what better excuse to pull out my 2015 for comparison.

As many of you know, the ‘16 was supposedly the first year it was all BT distillate, VS the old tanked stuff from’15 & prior (rumors abound on where it was distilled).

Anyway, they are drastically different.

The ‘16 tastes sweeter and has that BT musty basement aroma thing going on.  The sip is more baking spices and baked goods, but it seems confused about its true identity.

The 15 is very herbal and garden like by comparison.  Fresh and creamy up front, followed by pepper and slight sage or dill perhaps?  Not much sweetness in there.

Very well balanced.

The ‘15 is my winner tonight, being significantly more satisfying to my palate.

BD64676E-DBEF-422F-B680-FA4911EF14B6.jpeg

A couple years ago a friend set up a double blind tasting of ryes. There was one particular rye that was the consensus least liked. Most of us hated it. It was BT distilled Saz 18. I can't remember if it was the first or second year of it being all their distillate but I think it was the first.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.