What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of new ryes that I recently acquired. Hopefully will open them up and try them out this weekend.

image1.jpeg.21745d52e0f1fa2ae186635cf09d6e22.jpegimage0.jpeg.517b4e8b7db566a539091a855bbce8fd.jpeg

Careful observation will note that the picture has more than a couple of bottles! That is because one of them is not a rye. It is instead a bourbon from New Riff using malted rye that will likely also get tried this weekend.

The Old Overholt is supposedly an Ohio only bottling at an interesting OGD like 114 pf but some has clearly spread into KY since I bought it in Louisville.

The Old Pepper Distillery bottle is a single barrel pick for my store. It is MGP rye although I am not entirely sure it is the typical 95/5 mashbill.  Of course MGP created two new rye mashbills about 6 or 7 years ago so this 4yo could easily be one of those.

Two new rye whiskeys, one made from 51% rye and 49% barley malt, and the other made with 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt.

Indeed I suspect that it is. Taste more like the latter which is a more typical barely rye mashbill like many KY ryes.

• I like it 4

44 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A couple of new ryes that I recently acquired. Hopefully will open them up and try them out this weekend.

image1.jpeg.21745d52e0f1fa2ae186635cf09d6e22.jpegimage0.jpeg.517b4e8b7db566a539091a855bbce8fd.jpeg

Careful observation will note that the picture has more than a couple of bottles! That is because one of them is not a rye. It is instead a bourbon from New Riff using malted rye that will likely also get tried this weekend.

The Old Overholt is supposedly an Ohio only bottling at an interesting OGD like 114 pf but some has clearly spread into KY since I bought it in Louisville.

The Old Pepper Distillery bottle is a single barrel pick for my store. It is MGP rye although I am not entirely sure it is the typical 95/5 mashbill.  Of course MGP created two new rye mashbills about 6 or 7 years ago so this 4yo could easily be one of those.

Two new rye whiskeys, one made from 51% rye and 49% barley malt, and the other made with 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt.

Indeed I suspect that it is. Taste more like the latter which is a more typical barely rye mashbill like many KY ryes.

I really like the old pepper sib rye. Mine is just a standard issue. But seems to be a blend of different distillates before barreling.

IMG_20201119_185005.jpg

IMG_20201119_184924.jpg

Love these older releases of Rendezvous.

This ‘16 release is after they removed age statements from the label regarding the blend, but before they started blending their house made rye into it.

40BEFBA8-F50C-459F-80A0-8559C2F927AC.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 11/19/2020 at 9:30 PM, 0895 said:

Love these older releases of Rendezvous.

This ‘16 release is after they removed age statements from the label regarding the blend, but before they started blending their house made rye into it.

40BEFBA8-F50C-459F-80A0-8559C2F927AC.jpeg

I also like the look of the handwritten label more than the typed one.  The typed one just doesn't seem to fit with the glass bottle.

10 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I also like the look of the handwritten label more than the typed one.  The typed one just doesn't seem to fit with the glass bottle.

I completely agree with you on that.

Sorry for the poor forum etiquette but I didn’t see a what rye did you pass on thread. Because of life I haven’t been on the forum much in the last 18 months and am behind on my reading re the market. I saw a 4 yo barrel proof SAOS on the shelf from Indiana for $60. I assume it’s MGP? The older stuff was highly coveted. What’s the rep on the new stuff? Thanks!

9E478D8A-5E42-46DF-BA87-56BE23A025DD.jpeg

ECE9C61A-4CCF-435A-BA24-0F5F8AE737D2.jpeg

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Sorry for the poor forum etiquette but I didn’t see a what rye did you pass on thread. Because of life I haven’t been on the forum much in the last 18 months and am behind on my reading re the market. I saw a 4 yo barrel proof SAOS on the shelf from Indiana for $60. I assume it’s MGP? The older stuff was highly coveted. What’s the rep on the new stuff? Thanks!

9E478D8A-5E42-46DF-BA87-56BE23A025DD.jpeg

ECE9C61A-4CCF-435A-BA24-0F5F8AE737D2.jpeg

Welcome back!

On 11/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

THX for this.  Having been privileged to drink quite a bit of OO BIB from the 1960s (thanks to one of my wife's uncles who bought CASES when he heard it would be discontinued, having consumed gallons of it during WWII when mixed with French sweet vermouth his squadron "found" in Northern France).  I shall seek out the 114 even if I have to buy it online, at a reasonable price, of course.:o

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Welcome back!

Charlutz - I've been (only slightly) disappointed by the most recent SAOS releases - not BAD but just not quite what I remember those early John Little (master distiller) releases.  After Big Level, I lost interest.  I had really high hopes for that wheated.  Alas, . . .

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THX for this.  Having been privileged to drink quite a bit of OO BIB from the 1960s (thanks to one of my wife's uncles who bought CASES when he heard it would be discontinued, having consumed gallons of it during WWII when mixed with French sweet vermouth his squadron "found" in Northern France).  I shall seek out the 114 even if I have to buy it online, at a reasonable price, of course.:o

Harry, if you can find the new OO BIB, it's a decent expression of Beam rye whiskey.  100 proof and NCF, I'm a repeat customer.  No doubt though different from 1960s version.  You can enlighten us.

Finished this one last night.  It is an excellent rye, maybe not worth the cost but an excellent rye and I am glad to have experienced having a bottle. 

C1DD3A38-E28C-46CE-99A4-E0A674CE212A.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had a sample of of the rye from my mini barrel Friday. It’s coming along. Finally getting a little color.

0EC414B9-3242-46A9-856F-4E0A6FCD9D72.jpeg

On 11/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, flahute said:

Welcome back!

Thanks Steve! I hope all is well with you and yours. 

On 11/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Charlutz - I've been (only slightly) disappointed by the most recent SAOS releases - not BAD but just not quite what I remember those early John Little (master distiller) releases.  After Big Level, I lost interest.  I had really high hopes for that wheated.  Alas, . . .

Agreed on the SAOS bourbon, Harry. Not sure what to make of this though. Almost certainly MGP but much younger than the single barrel ryes that used to hit the shelves IIRC. We also know MGP’s stocks were strained but maybe this bottle came from a good barrel. I suppose no way to know without buying and opening it...

• I like it 1

Continuing the bunker reduction.

Sampled some ryes last night and tonight. Finally opened the Hudson Manhattan Rye that I bought a few years ago (not too bad, but I don't really like the wax touch, as in MM or Bookers). Also, finally opened the Whistlepig 10 that I purchased a few years ago. A little thin to my taste.

Finally, opened a Jefferson Rye 10 that I bought a few years back as a refill. The most peculiar thing is that I took the attached photo before opening the bottle, but it had a noticeable angels share, with a very low fill line. Hmmmm.

Pat 

Hudson front.jpg

Hudson back.jpg

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

My first experience with Wilderness Trail, but always keen to support PM Spirits.

IMG_5457.thumb.jpg.b5a9b6fd84249885b259fd441f347127.jpg

This is neat

no purchase, but saw recently that VA looks like it finally will start to carry Van Winkle Rye this year.  Hoping to be able to snag a bottle of this as it's very high on my wish list.

• I like it 2

On 11/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, Charlutz said:

I saw a 4 yo barrel proof SAOS on the shelf from Indiana for $60. I assume it’s MGP? The older stuff was highly coveted. What’s the rep on the new stuff? Thanks!

It's not quite like the old stuff, but the new stuff is good.

I would say that for $60 It is in the same class as Rossville Barrel Proof Rye.

You won't regret the purchase, but it's not like the old stuff.... never will be.  Those days are gone for a bit.

• I like it 1

The traditional Thanksgiving cork pop. Had to do a sbsbs. Act 6 is clear winner with some of that cool dill note and fresh fruitiness. Act 7 seems darker and has more oak. Act 8 has a lot more port influence but that might be because it is freshly opened. It also drinks hotter than the others. Has a great thick feel to it. Act 6 was lightest in color. Acts 7 and 8 were pretty close with 8 maybe a slight bit darker.  I'd rank it 6, 8, 7.

20201125_211028.jpg

• I like it 4

Fabulous rye, this WTRB is.  The rye sizzle for the first 2/3 is eye popping. Then, a wonderful chewiness and breadiness that softens the pop on the end and giving it more balance, though the finish lingers seemingly forever.  This is the difference between this and standard WT rye to me.  Even at a lower proof, the standard WT rye unrelentingly peppers my palate from beginning to end.  And, I love that.  Especially, in cocktails.  But, the heaviness snd chewiness at the end of the Rare Breed makes it a better sipper for me.  

C26114FE-A268-4D6D-9F25-B47ECC8A8999.jpeg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.