What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wife sent me on an ice cream run, and pulling out of the driveway I remembered about the WP10 store pick at DBH (per @smokinjoe) so I took the mile or so detour to pick one up. Kiddos are currently enjoying said ice cream, and I am thinking about a SBS with this and Little Book #2 tonight once they are asleep.

wp10dbh.thumb.jpg.58cf9bf12629dfdd28cd1b01e887f1e9.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Fabulous rye, this WTRB is.  The rye sizzle for the first 2/3 is eye popping. Then, a wonderful chewiness and breadiness that softens the pop on the end and giving it more balance, though the finish lingers seemingly forever.  This is the difference between this and standard WT rye to me.  Even at a lower proof, the standard WT rye unrelentingly peppers my palate from beginning to end.  And, I love that.  Especially, in cocktails.  But, the heaviness snd chewiness at the end of the Rare Breed makes it a better sipper for me.  

C26114FE-A268-4D6D-9F25-B47ECC8A8999.jpeg

Welp, guess I better go pour some.

• I like it 1

I went pig hunting today and bagged three 16 year olds.  Not bad for an afternoon.  I also finally broke down after my curiosity about the MM101 was killing me.  It’s still $10 more than MMCS everywhere I look in Atlanta but what the hell.

4B516D7E-99EA-41D8-B849-B911BA0F8831.jpeg

• I like it 3

Grabbed the Old Elk on a Black Friday sale at a $30 per bottle discount.  And since I won't be buying their Whistlepig 15 SB at $270, this 10 year at $80 should be a nice consolation.

20201128_151903_HDR.jpg

• I like it 2

The nice Whistlepig pics reminded me I forgot to post that I picked up a good WP store pick that's 17 years old. I haven't opened mine yet but I got to sample it in the store and it's excellent.  

After the Cornerstone I had a hankering for plain old WT 101 Rye.  This is the most recent bottling.  Younger and sweeter than the Cornerstone.  But still hitting the spot.

• I like it 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, bourbon-n00b said:

And since I won't be buying their Whistlepig 15 SB at $270, 

Oh c'mon.... 

some of your local friends want to taste that.

:)

• I like it 1

The decorating is done, the tree is up and the presents are wrapped.  It is snowing today in KY so it feels like time to open a fresh AE rye, open a book and relax.

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Today I picked up a bottle of WP Piggyback for $33 OTD. It's fantastic at that price. 

It’s pretty darn good at normal retail... can only imagine ?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Today I picked up a bottle of WP Piggyback for $33 OTD. It's fantastic at that price. 

Probably, my biggest enjoyable surprise buy of 2020.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

It’s pretty darn good at normal retail... can only imagine ?

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Probably, my biggest enjoyable surprise buy of 2020.  

I agree with you both. When it first came out I remember I mostly read it was mediocre, which is why I didn't initially try it. Ill probably pick up another bottle while it's on sale. 

21 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Yoda With Whiskey#.jpg

That’s actually the face I make when I detect the rotten flesh in a funky Jamaican Rum!  I turn green, too!!  ?

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That’s actually the face I make when I detect the rotten flesh in a funky Jamaican Rum!  I turn green, too!!  ?

There it is!!!!! The rum funk!

All this talk about KO batch #4, and other assorted and/or overpriced cat’s and dog’s got me to thinking...

After a long hiatus, I pulled a standard KC from the bunker and cracked it open a couple of weeks ago.  Amazingly, that sucker has since disappeared like a dove in a magic act!?

I readily admit that I’d forgotten how good this product is!  In fact, it’s so good that I now plan on bunkering up, while it’s still priced under $30!

Thankfully, readily available products of value and quality do still exist, even in this market.

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

All this talk about KO batch #4, and other assorted and/or overpriced cat’s and dog’s got me to thinking...

After a long hiatus, I pulled a standard KC from the bunker and cracked it open a couple of weeks ago.  Amazingly, that sucker has since disappeared like a dove in a magic act!?

I readily admit that I’d forgotten how good this product is!  In fact, it’s so good that I now plan on bunkering up, while it’s still priced under $30!

Thankfully, readily available products of value and quality do still exist, even in this market.

I bunkered up on KC9 back before it lost the age statement and am still enjoying the benefits of that decision. 

• I like it 2

On 12/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, Paddy said:

If you have not, give Old Overholt Bonded a try.

• I like it 1

On 12/2/2020 at 5:16 AM, flahute said:

I bunkered up on KC9 back before it lost the age statement and am still enjoying the benefits of that decision. 

I did this too. Great decision. 

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

If you have not, give Old Overholt Bonded a try.

If I understand correctly there are 2 different bottling versions ( ? ).  If that's true do you know if one is supposed to be better than the other?

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

If I understand correctly there are 2 different bottling versions ( ? ).  If that's true do you know if one is supposed to be better than the other?

What I know of are the 80 proof, and the bonded 100 proof OO.  The bonded is definitely my preference.  I also heard the bonded is NCF.

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

What I know of are the 80 proof, and the bonded 100 proof OO.  The bonded is definitely my preference.  I also heard the bonded is NCF.

Well I was thinking I read somewhere there were 2 versions of the bonded, but come to think of it, maybe  only referred to label design changes and not different distillate. I can't remember now. No worries. 

P.S. edit:  I just saw your comment about NCF. Perhaps they switched the bonded version from non-NCF to NCF. That would make sense and might be what I was thinking  of.

Edited by Kepler
Added P.S.

New Riff just hit my county in MD. Picked up their SiB rye. Looking forward to cracking tonight.

2C21AA43-5672-493F-8E70-6D96F648153C.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.