What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Quarantine day something or other. It's been a while. Budget pours are gone. Solidly into the mid shelfers now. Old pepper sib is hitting tonight. And up way past my bedtime. Lucky I don't have an early morning I guess. At the end of this I'm going to have one heck of a "empty bottles" post.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 2

Cracked last night. First go with anything from New Riff. Spicy, savory, herbaceous with a little citrus on the front end. Finish lasts forever. Really enjoyed.

58C62E76-C6B4-49C1-957A-971700051FE3.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 11/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, Charlutz said:

Sorry for the poor forum etiquette but I didn’t see a what rye did you pass on thread. Because of life I haven’t been on the forum much in the last 18 months and am behind on my reading re the market. I saw a 4 yo barrel proof SAOS on the shelf from Indiana for $60. I assume it’s MGP? The older stuff was highly coveted. What’s the rep on the new stuff? Thanks!

9E478D8A-5E42-46DF-BA87-56BE23A025DD.jpeg

ECE9C61A-4CCF-435A-BA24-0F5F8AE737D2.jpeg

I would’ve never bought this at $60, however I had a coworker buy this after sampling first.  I had a sample and really liked it.  I think still hard to justify the price when I can get Russell Reserve rye for even less.  At $40 or less I’d be buying multiples.

Bourbon and rye has gotten too expensive no wonder all the old timers is so bitter here.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Bourbon and rye has gotten too expensive no wonder all the old timers is so bitter here.

Grumble, grumble, wheeze wheeze, grumble grumble!

• I like it 3

Some WT81 rye with chocolate chip cookies post-dinner.  The WT’a spice is a nice foil for the sweet richness of the cookies........ ?

I got home late and needed a good pour, so I’m finishing off a really good pour of M10 year rye. 
2618FCE2-1CB1-4746-8DEF-FEC826FE84F2.thumb.jpeg.993632de390922cdc7d1d4ffd503cc7e.jpeg

• I like it 7

Still progressing on working down the bunker. Last night I opened my final BTAC, THH 2014. Followed that tonight with a slight down-shift, to Pikesville 110. Bought each of them in 2015.

Pat

thh2014.jpg

pikesville.jpg

• I like it 3

Due to my present exile in my country of origin, today I picked up my first Lot 40 in years.

My first Lot 40 was a lackluster experience, having something of a cereal note that I never enjoy.

This one is a lot better. Long spice, keeps its balance. Not better for me than a Pikesville or a good single barrel Whistlepig, but it has something going on.

To get it the rest of the way, I splashed in some Northern Harvest and now we have the "Northern 40". NH brings that strawberry sweetness (and a little proof bump), Lot 40 brings the long spicy finish.

Win. 

I'll likely reverse the base spirit in the future and splash a bit of 40 in to decorate the NH, as opposed to the opposite.

• I like it 5

I picked up a WP10 store pick. As has been my experience trend these have been the best things in the WP lineup for a while (to be fair I haven’t tried and of the Boss Hogs). First rye puts chase in a while as I was in a “drink down the opens” phase leading up to a recent move to a new house. 

• I like it 1

Took another chance on a budget rye. This one is an mgp from proof and wood. It definitely doesn't drink like a typical mgp 95/5. And that is unfortunate. The spice starts as usual, but then is quickly replaced by a malty mustiness. Like a wet barn where the hay is starting to grow those little grey mushrooms. Not quite funky, but close. It is not undrinkable, however it is completely outpaced by pretty much every other rye in the class. Except for of course rebel yell rye. I liked the senator rye ok, this however is not recommended. Lucky the finish is short.

IMG_20201211_183909.jpg

On 12/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Still progressing on working down the bunker. Last night I opened my final BTAC, THH 2014.

Pat

thh2014.jpg

Best THH Ever!

The floral and leather on that release is exactly my thing.  I’ll trade you my priority healthcare worker covid vaccine for a taste... ?

(j/k mods)

• I like it 3

Wife gets what wife wants...

Deep bunker dive resulted in an act 5 getting opened today.  Although I'm enjoying something else, the smell coming out of her glass is permeating the room in a great way.

3A56FCBD-89D1-436F-87C2-656779F2DD90.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 12/12/2020 at 3:16 PM, 0895 said:

I’ll trade you my priority healthcare worker covid vaccine for a taste... ?

Easily one of my favorite posts of the year.

Any of you rye guys tried the Alberta Premium Cask Strength yet? Just curious what people think of it so far, beyond the awards hype. 

*yes I know it is Canadian and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I’m lazy and I don’t really visit the foreign whisky sections of the site at all

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^
I’ve not yet,  but it’s a definite ‘will do’!  

Same!  

Been a couple days ago but grabbed a family size of Baby Saz.  I didn’t even know they made 1.75s of it. Cool looking bottle with it that big. 

Have had an open rye slot for a few days on my bar and just couldn’t decide what to open. Well the other three that are open are primarily my Manhattan ryes so decided I needed a sipper and this is where I landed this evening. This one is a four year 110.2 proofer that I am sure I bought at the distillery but for the life of me I can’t remember which trip.   Had to be either 2015 or 2017 but either way, I’ve lost that brain cell somewhere along the line. Cheers!

E095066A-7825-43AD-B86F-98BCD43DE5BD.jpeg

• I like it 1

I’m sitting here in front of the fire enjoying my second pour of Canadian Club 100% rye.  

I don’t know why, but I’ve always found this to be a easy drinking and enjoyable whiskey, particularly when I feel that a palate reset is in order.

Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but once again this bottle has reminded me of lessons learned previously.  

Cheap whiskey does not always equate to bad quality.  If you’d given me this blind, I’d have guessed that it’s a $50 rye.

...or maybe I’m just drunk.?

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I’m sitting here in front of the fire enjoying my second pour of Canadian Club 100% rye.  

I don’t know why, but I’ve always found this to be a easy drinking and enjoyable whiskey, particularly when I feel that a palate reset is in order.

Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but once again this bottle has reminded me of lessons learned previously.  

Cheap whiskey does not always equate to bad quality.  If you’d given me this blind, I’d have guessed that it’s a $50 rye.

...or maybe I’m just drunk.?

My OF100 and WT101 has assured me that there is nothing wrong with you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.