What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Switched it up tonight and put Northern Harvest in my egg nog instead of my usual Evan Williams Black.

Delicious. I may make this the new go-to egg nog mixer. The Lot 40 will get a try next time.

• I like it 2

On 12/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, BottledInBond said:

Any of you rye guys tried the Alberta Premium Cask Strength yet? Just curious what people think of it so far, beyond the awards hype. 

*yes I know it is Canadian and maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I’m lazy and I don’t really visit the foreign whisky sections of the site at all

I just bought this yesterday and cracked at the store for us all to have a little taste. Out of plastic cups so no Glencairns. It was very good, the nose had that distinct Canadian Rye components that I get from WhistlePig. I can’t for the life of me conjure up the right descriptor yet. Pine maybe?  In any case, the palate was sweeter then I expected and then came a long spicy minty finish with a good Kentucky hug. 

I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the $70. I will revisit in near future likely SBS with some other ryes. 

On 12/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, BMartin42 said:

Been a couple days ago but grabbed a family size of Baby Saz.  I didn’t even know they made 1.75s of it. Cool looking bottle with it that big. 

Yeah but I think I like the little 375ml bottle even better. It reminds me of an old antique soda bottle or something.

Ok, I’m trying the Alberta Premium Cask Strength now. I will say that the flavor is rich and delicious. I’m very curious how old this stuff is though. I feel like I should try this SBS with a Whistle Pig store pick next

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m very curious how old this stuff is though.

So is my wallet.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:14 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Pine maybe?

Pine-sol is exactly what I get from WP ryes and it's a turn off for me. 

On 12/19/2020 at 12:14 PM, flahute said:

Pine-sol is exactly what I get from WP ryes and it's a turn off for me. 

Canadian rye has a very distinctive nose to me that I am now starting to associate a Briney Pine Mint smell so I can definitely see the Pine-sol reference.  I do not mind it on the nose, but am not a fan when I feel like it carries over to the Palate which I think it does in the WP releases.  That did not happen with the Alberta Premium, the palate was surprisingly deep and sweet almost like a bourbon and then turned into a spicy long mint finish.

Either way, like @Bottled-in-Bond I think the next step will be a SBS between that and the WP Rye I have open currently.  I'll have to do that next.

• I like it 1

^^^^Last week, I had a few friend participate in a blind rye tasting with 80 proof Canadian Club, followed by CEHT, followed by the Crown Royal 16 yr Noble.  I figured it would be pretty interesting to see the reactions with the knowledge (for me) that two were Canadian's, with one being a relatively young value pour toeing up with a 16 year old limited. 

All loved the caramel and butterscotch nose of the CC while also noting how easy it was to drink.  Nothing else really stood out except the lack of bite, so all were guessing correctly that it was pretty low in proof.  When they went to the CEHT, all immediately noted the more layered and complex experience, as well as the proof increase.

Lastly, the Noble poured.  Immediately, it was noted for its complexity and easy drinkability.  All also initially agreed that it did not have the depth and variety of flavors of the second pour (CEHT).  As we continued to drink and discuss our thoughts throughout the pour, the result was pretty interesting. 

Initially everyone was in agreement that the CEHT was the favorite.  This continued through about half way into the approx. 2 oz pour.  Once they were past the 1/2 way point, everyone (myself included) noted that the development of flavors of the Noble had surpassed those experienced when sipping the CEHT.  By the end of the pour this was affirmed by unanimous decision.

The final results were...

1. Crown Royal Noble rye

2.  CEHT

3.  Canadian Club 

My best guess to why it went down that way is palate/drink development.  As we all know, our palates can be fickle, especially when going from brand to brand, so I think part of it was that a bit of time was necessary to reset the palate from the previous experiences.  Following the reveal, we also agreed that the age of the Noble most likely brought some greater depth of character to the taste and finish. 

P. S.  No one disliked any of the three, and all parties involved admitted that they are going to go out and get a bottle of the CC for a cheap, easy sipper!  :)

• I like it 6

Score 'n Pour.

JD should just start releasing everything at barrel proof and we would all have a different opinion of their product.  

They call this a Tennessee Rye, but man is it sweet.  If you like their regular Tennessee Whiskey (aka Bourbon) but think it's too heavy on the banana note, this might be the perfect  Jack for you.  I'll wait until additional  tastings for final judgement, but at first blush this drinks practically like a BP uncut bourbon but sans the typical JD banana note....

20201223_230458.jpg

Edited by Kepler
P.S. upon further review, I take the banana part back. I still detect some banana note in here. Less than the regular JD BP, but still present. I happen to eat bananas regularly & enjoy them. The JD banana note doesn't bother me but if it does take note.
  • I like it 6

Up at my brother’s house for festivities. Brought this bottle for anyone that wanted to try it   

7E91784A-BB6E-4ED9-B796-AE2E5B941FF8.jpeg

• I like it 3

I ended up having quite a bit of sagamore cask strength which my brother gifted to me for Christmas. But for the post Christmas pour I went ahead and cracked my overholt 11.

IMG_20201226_131442.jpg

• I like it 3

On 12/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Radioyada said:

Up at my brother’s house for festivities. Brought this bottle for anyone that wanted to try it   

7E91784A-BB6E-4ED9-B796-AE2E5B941FF8.jpeg

Yeah I’ll take a pour... where you at haha. Happy Holidays! 

Also grabbed myself a thistlefinch straight rye. I've been curious for a while and there it was on the shelf in front of me. It's cut in line and is currently on deck to be the next bottle opened. Only two years, but the mashbill is rye, wheat, barley.

IMG_20201226_204828.jpg

My brother gifted me a bottle of Krogman's Presents Maxx Profitzz Straight Rye (distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN) 3 years old, 57.9%, single barrel, non chill filtered.  It's the high rye mash bill.

It's one of the tastiest rye whiskies I've had in a long time.

A little research yielded, under the Krogman brand, these people in Bloomington are in the process of offering single barrel, barrel strength, NCF versions of all the different MGP mash bills (Bourbon and Rye).  It looks like most will be three years old.  The front labels are very silly on purpose.  The back label has all the relevant details boldly printed (transparency). ?

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Mattk said:

Also grabbed myself a thistlefinch straight rye. I've been curious for a while and there it was on the shelf in front of me. It's cut in line and is currently on deck to be the next bottle opened. Only two years, but the mashbill is rye, wheat, barley.

IMG_20201226_204828.jpg

So I cracked this today hoping to try it alongside a cigar. It was in fact bad. Glad I tried it, but it definitely isn't for me. So I'm having a wtrb rye instead.

• I like it 1

Hey me again, but with a really good one this time. It came to my attention that my birthday tasting is going to be cancelled due to covid next month. So here is the good stuff. The nose is of pine and oranges, honey and grasses. Plus sweet candy, think old school rock candy. On the pallette is hard to describe. It meets the nose then some. Sweet citrus is followed by creamy caramels and marshmallow notes while simultaneously being piney and carmel. The finish has an almost walnut flavor like a nice sherry, but quickly goes to baking chocolate, then back to a more traditional minty rye finish. Over all there is a toasted bread which lingers throughout. This one is complex, even moreso then a michters 10 year rye, which I also really like. I'm quite taken aback. Thank you to who you are who helped with this. You know who you are. Best rye I've had all 2020, hands down.

IMG_20201227_184649.jpg

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

Sipping on this WTRB Rye right now, and it is spectacular.  😋 

Purchased my first rye today, Sazerac 6 year. Thinking I may mix up some Manhattans to ring in the new year.

• I like it 2

On 12/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, Mattk said:

I ended up having quite a bit of sagamore cask strength which my brother gifted to me for Christmas. But for the post Christmas pour I went ahead and cracked my overholt 11.

IMG_20201226_131442.jpg

My radar went off....

How is it?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to find a PA friend to get one it looks like.

13 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Purchased my first rye today, Sazerac 6 year. Thinking I may mix up some Manhattans to ring in the new year.

Congrats, that is a nice, basic rye.  Just note that it is not age stated anymore (unless you somehow have an age stated bottle).  Enjoy.

As for me, I frustratingly passed on the new JD BP rye (which was promptly gone), but did come upon a Michter's Toasted Barrel BP Rye, so picked that up.  Michter's does those BP ryes well.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

but did come upon a Michter's Toasted Barrel BP Rye, so picked that up.  Michter's does those BP ryes well.

I agree, those are outstanding.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, 0895 said:

My radar went off....

How is it?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to find a PA friend to get one it looks like.

A quick revisit for you. In no way do I mind having another glass. Here is my take this time.

Color is a honey amber, legs are pretty quick. It's at a low proof, but pretty well dialed in for what it is. Nose is of fresh bread, cinnamon and a sweet red fruit, strawberry jam, but it is subtle. Pallette is the typical musty hay which beam ryes typically have. But without the nuttiness. Instead there is a dry oak and baking spices. Finish is a bitter root beer which breaks lightly into mint before being overtaken by the oak, which lingers for quite a while. Finally a toasted almond stars to remain after the drink, but it takes a few sips to build up.

Overall I think this is a very nice rye. But then again I like most ryes. However I bought two of these and really wish I had gotten a third. It's not a top tier, but it's pretty close. For the roughly $75 it's worth reaching out to a friend.

23 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Congrats, that is a nice, basic rye.  Just note that it is not age stated anymore (unless you somehow have an age stated bottle).  Enjoy.

As for me, I frustratingly passed on the new JD BP rye (which was promptly gone), but did come upon a Michter's Toasted Barrel BP Rye, so picked that up.  Michter's does those BP ryes well.

I tried the JD BP rye. Pretty tasty. Not sure it’s as good as the WTRB rye but certainly worth adding to your rye stable I think. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.