What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, jeffrey r said:

Congrats, that is a nice, basic rye.  Just note that it is not age stated anymore (unless you somehow have an age stated bottle).  Enjoy.

Sign in grocery store said 6 but you are correct that is not on the bottle. 

3 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Sign in grocery store said 6 but you are correct that is not on the bottle. 

Yep--old, outdated signs abound with respect to lost age statements unfortunately.  Still see plenty of "Elijah Craig 12 Year Old" listings for the basic NAS small batch.   Anyway, Baby Saz is still a good one at its appropriate $30-$40 price point. 

54 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Yep--old, outdated signs abound with respect to lost age statements unfortunately.  Still see plenty of "Elijah Craig 12 Year Old" listings for the basic NAS small batch.   Anyway, Baby Saz is still a good one at its appropriate $30-$40 price point. 

Got if for $17.99.  

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Got if for $17.99.  

Wow - that's a super price.  If you find you like it, I'd buy as much as you can stand at that price!

• I like it 2

Yes, even the new PS Sazeracs are $17.99 around here— one of the few benefits of living in Louisiana. 

• I like it 1

I opened my 2019 MWND before Christmas to dole out some sample gifts and to have as my holiday sipper. It’s down to the last ~1/3 of the bottle now, and I find myself wishing I had more. I had a healthy pour of it last night that was just phenomenal.

I’ve had two other iterations in years past that I remember enjoying, but this one is really hitting the mark for me. I suspect that is due to development in my own palate more than anything else, as I understand the older bottlings had some older stock in the blend and were better regarded than the newer stuff. 

I’m not the biggest rye fan typically, but the port barrel sweetness really compliments the rye spice to make an exceptional finished product. 

It has me interested in pursuing some more finished ryes. Any recommendations? My local has a single barrel pick of a HW Double Rye that was syrah barrel finished. I’ll probably try to pick one up if they haven’t sold out yet.

• I like it 1

Sorry for the double post, but couldn’t help myself, decided I’d better snag one of these from my local before they’re all gone. 

Based on the first sip, it’s not quite scratching the itch I was after with the MWND, but I poured two fingers worth and I’m going to slowly work on it over the next couple hours as I make a big batch of bolognese sauce for tonight. Going to take my time with it and see if I can pick up on some nuances.

Had to share a pic bc of the fancy iridescent bottle. Pretty cool stuff, but hopefully not a case of dressing up the package just to mask deficiencies of the product inside!

6C644971-1A1C-457A-B4F2-A0D87CFCDCC4.jpeg

I liked this old overholt 11 a lot. Enough that I made a second trip to grab a few more. The first is almost gone already. Hopefully I got enough. If there are still any left next week I'll find it hard to resist grabbing a few more. I really am trying to let others get some too, but...

IMG_20210102_170037.jpg

• I like it 2

I sprung for a Templeton Straight Rye Barrel Strength yesterday, something I've never seen before.   I'm glad I did -  this is good,  apparently well aged MGP at barrel proof with no additives.    Actually worth the $60 price tag,  I think -  it screams pumpernickel  spice but it's very balanced and sweet,  especially at the proof.   Letting it air out just emphasizes the quality of the spirit.      

On 1/2/2021 at 4:42 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Sorry for the double post, but couldn’t help myself, decided I’d better snag one of these from my local before they’re all gone. 

Based on the first sip, it’s not quite scratching the itch I was after with the MWND, but I poured two fingers worth and I’m going to slowly work on it over the next couple hours as I make a big batch of bolognese sauce for tonight. Going to take my time with it and see if I can pick up on some nuances.

Had to share a pic bc of the fancy iridescent bottle. Pretty cool stuff, but hopefully not a case of dressing up the package just to mask deficiencies of the product inside!

6C644971-1A1C-457A-B4F2-A0D87CFCDCC4.jpeg

I believe I tried this recently but don’t remember it making a strong impression on me.

Finished rye seems a bit less common. Angels Envy of course. Yippee Ki Yay also from HW. WhistlePig “Old World” bottles were MGP rye finished in several things like port and Sauternes. Hooker House as a brand probably isn’t even around anymore but had a Zinfandel finished rye (probably MGP). Dad’s Hat had a vermouth finished rye. There was that odd Alberta Dark Rye, or something like that, from Beam.

All I can think of at the moment.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I believe I tried this recently but don’t remember it making a strong impression on me.

Finished rye seems a bit less common. Angels Envy of course. Yippee Ki Yay also from HW. WhistlePig “Old World” bottles were MGP rye finished in several things like port and Sauternes. Hooker House as a brand probably isn’t even around anymore but had a Zinfandel finished rye (probably MGP). Dad’s Hat had a vermouth finished rye. There was that odd Alberta Dark Rye, or something like that, from Beam.

All I can think of at the moment.

Just off the top of my head... Ragtime has an apple jack, james pepper had a port, cotactin has quite a few, filibuster has a cognac, minor case. Just a few more. Not counting double oak/ toasted finished ryes.

So it's my birthday today, sadly it fell on a work day, and covid is keeping me from having friends over. After staring at my collection of fancy special occasion bottles for a bit, I finally decided just to have a nice big pour of Rittenhouse bib. It's always been one of my favorites.

• I like it 4

Sipping some Whistlepig single barrel that is really firing on all cylinders tonight.  Need to do a side by side with some Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye (which is NAS so likely way younger, but from the same distillery at least).  

• I like it 1

Enjoying some Whistle Pig Piggyback.  I have been on a rye kick lately, probably because I have so many open bottles to choose from and am trying to thin the herd a little.  

Here’s one I’ll miss more than others. THH 2013. I don’t expect to own or seek another BTAC unless there’s a significant attitude change in the market. 

39359D10-611D-44D0-8F65-565453E6B3F8.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 1/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, GaryT said:

Sipping some Whistlepig single barrel that is really firing on all cylinders tonight.  Need to do a side by side with some Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye (which is NAS so likely way younger, but from the same distillery at least).  

Did you try tie Alberta Premium cask yet?   I did NOT love it - had high hopes but was not impressed with the drinkability.   Very harsh and unforgiving to me.

• I like it 1

Grabbed this morning and have a backup coming tomorrow... Have heard some really good things about it especially at $65

87EEB513-9BD0-4DD4-9374-7EA88C37EA17.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, geclbxf said:

Did you try tie Alberta Premium cask yet?   I did NOT love it - had high hopes but was not impressed with the drinkability.   Very harsh and unforgiving to me.

Haven't done a sbs yet, but liked my first pour.  Definitely younger than the WP, but found it on the nose to be fairly soft for 66% ABV rye.  Will try to post more detailed notes this weekend, but I enjoyed it quite a bit (although I've been a fan of Canadian rye).  Want to make multiple passes before definitely saying (sometimes I LOVE something the first time, then want to spit out the next three :lol: )

I don't drink rye very often because in too many cases the mint dominates on the palate.

Well I have a couple new ones that I needed to try. 

The first is a Nashville Barrel Co. rye single barrel pick that a local group did. 7yr MGP at cask strength. I snagged this a few weeks ago and only taken a couple sips after walking the door before yesterday. Those first sips were great but I was skeptical and thinking that I must have lucked into a superb palate day. Well I also have a new Wilderness Trail ry pick that I did with my local back in September (and I really liked it at the pick) so I decided to sbs them.

The NBC rye is just outstanding. There's a lot going on with it. Has a bit of the mint/dill you'd expect from MGP but it's overshadowed by a lot of complexity. This ranks up there among the best ryes I've ever tasted in that age range.

The Wilderness is also outstanding. 107 proof at barrel proof and 4yrs and a few months old. This is among the first ever of the Wilderness rye to come off their column still. Previous barrels were off of the pot still. This one also went into the barrel at a very low proof - I think only 100. Upon my first sip at the pick I said "bubblegum".  Not as prominent out of the bottle but wow is this great. Not as good as the NBC rye which benefits from 3 more years of age but this Wilderness column still distilled is off to a great start. I can't wait to see what happens when these get more age.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I don't drink rye very often because in too many cases the mint dominates on the palate.

Well I have a couple new ones that I needed to try. 

The first is a Nashville Barrel Co. rye single barrel pick that a local group did. 7yr MGP at cask strength. I snagged this a few weeks ago and only taken a couple sips after walking the door before yesterday. Those first sips were great but I was skeptical and thinking that I must have lucked into a superb palate day. Well I also have a new Wilderness Trail ry pick that I did with my local back in September (and I really liked it at the pick) so I decided to sbs them.

The NBC rye is just outstanding. There's a lot going on with it. Has a bit of the mint/dill you'd expect from MGP but it's overshadowed by a lot of complexity. This ranks up there among the best ryes I've ever tasted in that age range.

The Wilderness is also outstanding. 107 proof at barrel proof and 4yrs and a few months old. This is among the first ever of the Wilderness rye to come off their column still. Previous barrels were off of the pot still. This one also went into the barrel at a very low proof - I think only 100. Upon my first sip at the pick I said "bubblegum".  Not as prominent out of the bottle but wow is this great. Not as good as the NBC rye which benefits from 3 more years of age but this Wilderness column still distilled is off to a great start. I can't wait to see what happens when these get more age.

7 year+ MGP rye is my jam. I really miss the days of abundant SAOS rye barrel picks at reasonable prices 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

7 year+ MGP rye is my jam. I really miss the days of abundant SAOS rye barrel picks at reasonable prices 

Yeah, those were great. I still have a couple. Unfortunately, it's no longer possible for sourced whiskey to be reasonably priced.

JD BP Rye. Another example of what JD can do, when they decide they want to produce an exceptional liquid. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.