What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Looking forward to a quality Fryeday evening with this. 

5887DF49-9B91-4E04-B0BF-B23DAA85A3EB.jpeg

I dont think you'll be disappointed in that one. 

On 1/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, geclbxf said:

Did you try tie Alberta Premium cask yet?   I did NOT love it - had high hopes but was not impressed with the drinkability.   Very harsh and unforgiving to me.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, GaryT said:

Haven't done a sbs yet, but liked my first pour.  Definitely younger than the WP, but found it on the nose to be fairly soft for 66% ABV rye.  Will try to post more detailed notes this weekend, but I enjoyed it quite a bit (although I've been a fan of Canadian rye).  Want to make multiple passes before definitely saying (sometimes I LOVE something the first time, then want to spit out the next three :lol: )

After several sittings, I really like this.  On the nose I get vanilla, cedar, mint, soft oak, and hints of cherries and maple - way different from a 100% (or even the 95% rye) mash matured in IN or KY.  The palate was full of caramel and vanilla, milk chocolate, black currants, figs, and some baking spices.  I did find that it benefited from letting it sit in the glass for a bit - right out of the bottle the proof was a bit harsh on the nose, but sitting in a Glencairn for maybe 10 minutes, it got a lot better.  Also really loved how this took water - taking on a thick and viscous mouthfeel (and bringing out more maple and cedar notes).  I read that it might be 5 yrs minimum but no idea on the age (and it didn't taste old to me, so I'd buy a 5-8 yr range).  

I'd maybe try adding some water, giving it a stir and letting it sit and see if it improves for you (might not, but worth a shot IMHO).

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, GaryT said:

After several sittings, I really like this.  On the nose I get vanilla, cedar, mint, soft oak, and hints of cherries and maple - way different from a 100% (or even the 95% rye) mash matured in IN or KY.  The palate was full of caramel and vanilla, milk chocolate, black currants, figs, and some baking spices.  I did find that it benefited from letting it sit in the glass for a bit - right out of the bottle the proof was a bit harsh on the nose, but sitting in a Glencairn for maybe 10 minutes, it got a lot better.  Also really loved how this took water - taking on a thick and viscous mouthfeel (and bringing out more maple and cedar notes).  I read that it might be 5 yrs minimum but no idea on the age (and it didn't taste old to me, so I'd buy a 5-8 yr range).  

I'd maybe try adding some water, giving it a stir and letting it sit and see if it improves for you (might not, but worth a shot IMHO).

I will have to let it sit before revisiting - TY

• I like it 1

Been enjoying this NR SiB lately and had a pour of my mini barrel aged rye from the first bottle pulled at 4 months.

A847EE5F-349F-444C-991F-4B877FD990FC.jpeg

337B6891-A96A-4840-AC46-0AF91AC53318.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, geclbxf said:

Did you try tie Alberta Premium cask yet?   I did NOT love it - had high hopes but was not impressed with the drinkability.   Very harsh and unforgiving to me.

Wow that shocks me a little as most find the opposite despite its proof . 

3 hours ago, MJWP said:

Wow that shocks me a little as most find the opposite despite its proof . 

Thought maybe I caught it on a bad tastebuds night, but just tired again and dont like it much.   Guess that's what makes the world go round!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.