What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a wee dram of the KO 10yr Rye Batch #3 last night (2oz sample bottle from a friend). Big bourbon-like nose with some caramel and sweet notes with nice heat.  Got orange peel on the first sip with a hint of maple syrup and oak - great mouthfeel, too.  Medium to long finish that was warming on its way down the gullet.  Really nice with subdued rye spice at the end.  (Note: I had the KO as a follow-up to a pour of The Balvenie 17 Doublewood that I drank with dinner consisting of a dry-aged Wagyu sirloin strip steak on the barbie, sauteed spinach and portobello mushrooms and a fine baked russet potato.  Had to treat SWMBO's anemia, ya' know . . . . .  ?).      

Was the KO good?  Heck yeah it was good!  Was it $200 good?  Let's just say I was glad to have been gifted a good-sized sample bottle to try.

So as I was reaching for the bottle of WFE 4yr rye for a nitecap, I got "The Look" from the Boss Lady - guess she didn't want to have to turn up the sound on the TV to go to sleep.   Gotta' get over this Covid-19 crap and stop drinking so much.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

I don't have much to say on this one, except I guess this is the store happenstance I save for. It was a very good day.

IMG_20200612_183844.jpg

• I like it 3

Started the night off with New Riff Balboa Rye. I hope they make this a regular release. I really like New Riff Rye SiB but Balboa may be their best.

Just picked this up today. A little more than I would normally pay for a whiskey of this age but I'm trying to help support a local store during these tough times. Plus, it's batch 1 for whatever that's worth. It's very good, especially with a splash of water, and pairs nicely with an Oliva Master Blends III.

Couple of thoughts on the label. It says it's a BiB, but it's 51.5% abv. Are the regulations different for rye's? Secondly, I like the additional info they've put on the bottle. It'd be nice if other distilleries did this, IMO.

oppidan2.jpg

oppidan.jpg

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Just picked this up today. A little more than I would normally pay for a whiskey of this age but I'm trying to help support a local store during these tough times. Plus, it's batch 1 for whatever that's worth. It's very good, especially with a splash of water, and pairs nicely with an Oliva Master Blends III.

Couple of thoughts on the label. It says it's a BiB, but it's 51.5% abv. Are the regulations different for rye's? Secondly, I like the additional info they've put on the bottle. It'd be nice if other distilleries did this, IMO.

oppidan2.jpg

oppidan.jpg

I bought it when it first came out. The 100% rye malt made me curious. I should have known better! Interesting but it tasted its age  (it was a 1 year at most and not sure what size barrels they were aging in but the rye malt couldn't hide all that barrel tannin. Hopefully this is better but no idea why a BIB would be bottled at 103 proof.

I think the rules are the same on bib, but I would like to know what’s going on with that one. 

On 6/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, Vosgar said:

very good, especially with a splash of water, and pairs nicely with an Oliva Master Blends III.

Seems right. Can I get a more detailed tasting note? Thanks

Hopefully picking up my 2 WFE 4yr on Friday and just ordered a Four Gate Batch 7 RYE from Seelbachs... Cant wait to try them all 

Grabbed a bone snapper today. They are up to batch 10, 26 months, 108 proof. Price is back down to $36. Definitely still my favorite mgp bottling.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

Grabbed a bone snapper today. They are up to batch 10, 26 months, 108 proof. Price is back down to $36. Definitely still my favorite mgp bottling.

Look for the 4year reserve.
110p, $43 here.

Delightful!

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Look for the 4year reserve.
110p, $43 here.

Delightful!

I've never seen an x-ray in Maryland. But I'm always looking

Picked up an extra WTMK Cornerstone for the bunker. 

Passed on a Willett 4 year rye. I was tempted because I have low open bottle, but this one was $20 higher than I can normally get it.  No worries as I still have an extra unopened anyway.

After some bourbon pours, decided to switch to rye.

Redemption 8 year barrel proof batch #1, the 122.7 proof bottle. 

I just realized that I actually have two separate batch 1 bottles opened (whatever "Batch 1" means), one in our little butler's pantry/wine & coffee room downstairs where I also have a sizeable whiskey stash, plus another one upstairs in my mancave bar.  This bottle is 122.7 proof and the other bottle says 122.2 proof.  Both are of course are fine examples of MGP rye.

Edited by Kepler
superfluous personal pronoun removed

The Willett is one of my favorite ryes.  The Three Chord sounded interesting and had some decent reviews, the nose was promising but the taste didn't deliver (I should have noticed that it's a blend of a 3yr rye with a younger unspecified rye).  For $41 I expected better, if you like a lighter rye, you might find it appealing.

rye.jpg

My wife really gets me. Today she got me this, knowing I already have one. When I opened it she said "for your bunker". Happy father's day to me.

IMG_20200621_141853.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

My wife really gets me. Today she got me this, knowing I already have one. When I opened it she said "for your bunker". Happy father's day to me.

IMG_20200621_141853.jpg

Love this bottle!  It is one delicious punch in the mouth

52 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Love this bottle!  It is one delicious punch in the mouth

Me too. Anytime I get something from RJ Cooper. I'm always excited. Pairing an older one with a suspect cork with this wonderful cigar my buddy brought me. I know most of the hotchsteader's stuff, but nothing about the cigar other then it is a don poncho, from a shop in the Dominican. But they are lovely together.

IMG_20200621_160000.jpg

Edited by Mattk

7 hours ago, MikeF said:

The Willett is one of my favorite ryes.  The Three Chord sounded interesting and had some decent reviews, the nose was promising but the taste didn't deliver (I should have noticed that it's a blend of a 3yr rye with a younger unspecified rye).  For $41 I expected better, if you like a lighter rye, you might find it appealing.

rye.jpg

That’s the problem with these things, isn’t it...  ?

I really wanted a lemony rye tonight. But didn't want to crack my last cornerstone. Time to bunker more I guess. So I made a simple dinner to really highlight the lemon notes on the WT 101. It worked better then I expected.

IMG_20200623_174230.jpg

IMG_20200623_172546.jpg

Rittenhouse last night and Pikesville the night before.  I enjoy both but I admit to preferring the Ritt on most occasions, this week for whatever reason, the Pikesville came out on top. That's why I keep BOTH of them !! LOL!

Sometimes all you need is a little serendipity! After not getting any PHC Rye last year our former HH rep who has since moved up the ladder managed to get us one bottle. Well today one of the reps(from another company) was walking the shelves and noted another bottle just sitting on the shelf like it had nothing better to do. But this came up while another good customer was in the back helping us do some, umm, "Q&A," on the CEHT 18 Year Marriage. Since I got the first one I (reluctantly) told him he could have it (I made no move to actually hand it to him of course and may or may not have said it with the saddest puppy dog face I could manage. When he left and didn't take the bottle I of course, most reluctantly, took home with me to make sure it got a good home. I didn't want to of course but somebody has to make the sacrifice...

1842749382_PHCRye.jpeg.6bcaf5fbeff4cafb33fc8f317756cd76.jpeg

At least my first bottle now has a friend!

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.