What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

You mean just from the Barton component of the blend? The current batch is part their own juice, but still blended with MGP

A839350E-714E-4C1B-977C-30C8E99D3CD6.png

Gotcha

The last two weeks have been very challenging professionally. 

This,  coupled with the first real cool snap of the season has me craving  a heavy dose of Rye.

So, I opened up with RRSiB Rye. Followed with KO  Rye Batch #2.

Tonight, The House of Russell wins by a Loooonnng way.  More flavor, less burn & hoopla. 

Cheers 

Walked into my local, got a baby saz, willet 4 year, and a ritt. This willet is sitting at a low 105, but might be the best one I've tried so far.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, LCWoody said:

I just picked up another bottle of this rye today. A store (gas station) over here has it for $62.99. To me it’s definitely worth putting one in the bunker. 

I ordered 2 more for the bunker that I picked up today.  ?. Each time I drink it it something else appears.  Recently, I picked up a nice fresh, outside air dried on the clothes line, laundry  note on the nose.  Gorgeous.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I ordered 2 more for the bunker that I picked up today.  ?. Each time I drink it it something else appears.  Recently, I picked up a nice fresh, outside air dried on the clothes line, laundry  note on the nose.  Gorgeous.  

I've looked and I've asked but so far no luck here in Maryland.

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Do you ever get that Concord grape thing on the finish?  I swear it the only whiskey that ever took me there!

I had a bar pour of this a few years ago. This is my first bottle of it, though. 

This is really nice. I may be wrong, but i think this is the only Barton rye I've had. 

20201017_203605.jpg

• I like it 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:44 PM, Mattk said:

Walked into my local, got a baby saz, willet 4 year, and a ritt. This willet is sitting at a low 105, but might be the best one I've tried so far.

High proof = better whiskey might be one of the greatest myths of all time.  Don't fall into that trap.

• I like it 1

Going with the WP Boss Hog Samurai Scientist tonight while watching  some baseball.  Wanted something I would sip slowly and enjoy during the exciting game. 

Local PS bottling-- the only thing this has in common with the stock 15 year release is the pewter closure. Really a powerful and complex pour.

IMG_5287.thumb.jpg.aa3345b3e8af13eb76ab0a39952027e6.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Local PS bottling-- the only thing this has in common with the stock 15 year release is the pewter closure. Really a powerful and complex pour.

I always really liked the standard. But then again my bunker abounds in sourced adls.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

So I went out searching for/ requesting the boxergrail founders collection at my favorite stores today. To no avail, even talked to a salesperson for rabbit hole, and they have never heard of it. So my hopes of one coming my way in Maryland are low. But I did finally come across a CR Noble 16 rye, so the trip wasn't a complete loss.

IMG_20201019_181148.jpg

Ok, so I’ll admit that I had zero interest in this when I first heard about it.

Then I tried a buddy’s bottle and here we are.... me buying more whiskey ?.

Anyway, it’s good stuff.

Unfortunately only distributed Southeast as far as I can tell, so I had to work some magic.

A1295A46-862D-4A2D-965E-103A459C1BA6.jpeg

• I like it 1

Is it just me, or are the colors of the “juice” in these two bottles vastly different?  ?

Biba! Joe

On 10/19/2020 at 3:22 PM, Marekv8 said:

I love my 15 PS too, from last year. It's fantastic. The sticker on mine also tries to peel off, hah.

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Is it just me, or are the colors of the “juice” in these two bottles vastly different?  ?

Biba! Joe

It's just you.  Try squinting a bit.

?

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

It's just you.  Try squinting a bit.

?

Ain’t no squintin’ gonna make those two look like the same color in that there picture!

31 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ain’t no squintin’ gonna make those two look like the same color in that there picture!

One’s probably a counterfeit bottle knowing my luck.

I honestly think it’s just the iPhone camera filter and lighting playing tricks.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, 0895 said:

Ok, so I’ll admit that I had zero interest in this when I first heard about it.

Then I tried a buddy’s bottle and here we are.... me buying more whiskey ?.

Anyway, it’s good stuff.

Unfortunately only distributed Southeast as far as I can tell, so I had to work some magic.

A1295A46-862D-4A2D-965E-103A459C1BA6.jpeg

How would this compare to Rittenhouse or Pikesville.

18 minutes ago, PaulO said:

How would this compare to Rittenhouse or Pikesville.

Tough question without doing an sbsbs.

I would say pikesville is still king of the hill with the other two being approximately equal but slightly different.

• I like it 2

Shout out to LCWoody, smokinjoe, mattk, and Paddy for your posts.

Y'all gave me the idea to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.  Very nice.  Especially nice for the money - if a whiskey this nice were marketed as a US-styled bottling it would no doubt cost more.  Not overly complex but very pleasing and with a nice spiciness. A lesson for us all to always keep an open mind.

20201023_211737.jpg

Edited by Kepler
fixed
  • I like it 4

On 10/3/2020 at 10:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Don’t even get me started on the atrocious re-do of the standard 101 label where they took the stately turkey and made it look like a sickly buzzard.  Very, very, odd...

Funny stuff.  But I agree about the bird on the bottle.  They REALLY need to bring back the old turkey on the label, in all its embossed full-color glory..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.