Famous Fred

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fred are you on here? 

I was just on a social media site viewing a discussion in a Wisconsin bourbon group that Fred Minnick posted on. This made me curious as to his connection to my second favorite state. After doing a search I found this:

https://www.louisville.com/content/fred-minnick-bourbon-whiskey-writer-louisville

Love him or hate him, you have to respect him. I was a little upset when he called Foursquare the pappy of rum but love his work and his reverence for the history of bourbon. He also posted reviews of blind tastings of top and low shelf bourbon tasted at the same time. IMO that takes balls.

My first encounter with his writing was "Camera Boy", a 2010 paperback recounting his year in Iraq as a US Army public affairs photographer.  It was a little rough, but then, it was a first book and interesting enough that I still read some of his stuff from time to time.  I thought his "Whiskey Women" was good.  I've passed on some of the collaborative books, but that's more because the subject is just of passing interest to me than a reflection on him.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:02 AM, FasterHorses said:

Im either just not a fan or have too much ADD to read that long a write up on him.

It's a good story. He is a War Vet and wrote about Bourbon before the boom. I think he has a genuine love for the history of bourbon as evidenced by the books he writes. I used to smoke cigars around the "last" Boom in the late 90's. Cigar Afficianado and reviewers got hate for writing their opinions. Fred writes his opinion on spirits for a living. He has a family to support, why would he not do everything he could to market himself and his brand?

• I like it 1

I think he has plenty of knowledge and is a good ambassador for bourbon in general. And I clearly respect his military service. That said I cringe every time I see him wearing the stupid ascots. It’s like he has built that into the image/character he is trying to cultivate which to me comes off as desperate and childish. Like, if people find value in what you have to say, you shouldn’t need a costume to get people to pay attention to you.

Can you imagine trying to get any of the truly legendary characters of the bourbon world to wear an ascot? Guys like Booker, Elmer, Parker? Do you see Jimmy Russell wearing an ascot these days? Jim Rutledge? 

Oh and screw the Packers. I certainly enjoyed watching the 49ers bully them last night, but at least I didn’t see any Packers wearing ascots before or after the game so they’ve got that going for them

54 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I think he has plenty of knowledge and is a good ambassador for bourbon in general. And I clearly respect his military service. That said I cringe every time I see him wearing the stupid ascots. It’s like he has built that into the image/character he is trying to cultivate which to me comes off as desperate and childish. Like, if people find value in what you have to say, you shouldn’t need a costume to get people to pay attention to you.

Can you imagine trying to get any of the truly legendary characters of the bourbon world to wear an ascot? Guys like Booker, Elmer, Parker? Do you see Jimmy Russell wearing an ascot these days? Jim Rutledge? 

Oh and screw the Packers. I certainly enjoyed watching the 49ers bully them last night, but at least I didn’t see any Packers wearing ascots before or after the game so they’ve got that going for them

Not sticking up for Fred-he can handle that himself, AND certainly not sticking up for the ascot but the article did lay that ascot thing out pretty well. He admitted he copied that image from another guy he admired. He brought down the pomp with jeans and worn shoes. And even though not stated probably gave his detractors something easy to pick on first possibly not even going into the dislike of opinion or character. Love it or hate it the ascot is his unique mark, and doubtful anyone else takes it up. :) 

28 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Not sticking up for Fred-he can handle that himself, AND certainly not sticking up for the ascot but the article did lay that ascot thing out pretty well. He admitted he copied that image from another guy he admired. He brought down the pomp with jeans and worn shoes. And even though not stated probably gave his detractors something easy to pick on first possibly not even going into the dislike of opinion or character. Love it or hate it the ascot is his unique mark, and doubtful anyone else takes it up. :) 

He said that he got the look from a European wine writer who always wore one, and specifically says that the guy wore it in a way that “wasn’t douchey”. If you have to specifically try to describe wearing an ascot as not being douchey, you’re basically admitting that wearing an ascot may be considered douchey by some people........

The great part about SB is that it is a community of knowledge, but also a large amount of comparing and contrasting opinions which are very different things. In my opinion, the ascot is stupid. Other people may love it. Other people may start wearing them? I wouldn’t go that far.

Good for him for making a career out of the bourbon world. I’m sure he enjoys his path, and many people enjoy what he does. 

Skol Vikings

Fred hustled his way into a living as a whiskey writer and bon vivant. I admire his grit and determination in doing so. His closeness with the industry and need for self preservation can certainly call into question any  reviews he posts. And like anyone he has his own palate even if he isn’t biased by a paycheck. I attended “Bourbon and Beyond” this year and the music was awesome. I spent five minutes at his stage while he was interviewing the Michter’s mafioso and a few others and had more than enough. But Zac Brown, ZZ Top and others were fantastic. So thanks to Fred for whatever role he had in that event. 

1 hour ago, evasive said:

I wore an ascot at my wedding in 2000- I thought it looked better than a bow tie.

That’s cool and I’m glad you enjoyed it for your wedding, but wearing something once for a formal event is very different from making it your permanent staple of your style. Would you wear an ascot to every event you attended today? For every picture or video you’re ever in? 

If someone got to play golf at the Old Course at St. Andrews once in their life and they decided to wear knickers and a tweed cap it would make sense and be in the spirit of the event. If they started showing up to every event they attended and every photo/video in knickers, I’d start to think it was a douchey gimic. I mean, I also loved Mr. Peanut when I was little, but if you see me at a whiskey event wearing a monocle and a top hat I’ve probably had a few too many samples before I showed up

C4F4FA4C-2AEB-4A4E-B06F-3BDAA52AEB88.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

That’s cool and I’m glad you enjoyed it for your wedding, but wearing something once for a formal event is very different from making it your permanent staple of your style. Would you wear an ascot to every event you attended today? For every picture or video you’re ever in? 

If someone got to play golf at the Old Course at St. Andrews once in their life and they decided to wear knickers and a tweed cap it would make sense and be in the spirit of the event. If they started showing up to every event they attended and every photo/video in knickers, I’d start to think it was a douchey gimic. I mean, I also loved Mr. Peanut when I was little, but if you see me at a whiskey event wearing a monocle and a top hat I’ve probably had a few too many samples before I showed up

C4F4FA4C-2AEB-4A4E-B06F-3BDAA52AEB88.jpeg

Indeed,  without the cane I don't think he could pull this look off

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.  I really enjoyed the game last night sipping some WT101.  Being a 49ers fan and a Golden Gophers fan, it's been a good year for football.  For Giants baseball and Warriors basketball, not so much...

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.  I really enjoyed the game last night sipping some WT101.  Being a 49ers fan and a Golden Gophers fan, it's been a good year for football.  For Giants baseball and Warriors basketball, not so much...

Row the Boat, ski u mah 

3 hours ago, flahute said:

BIB: still fired up.

Yep. Wish he would tell what he really thinks about that ascot. ?

• I like it 1

Wait, are all of you saying that Fred's out??

tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Edited by Patrick_OKC

I respect his love of bourbon & his knowledge of history.  I know he tries to sell himself a little hard sometimes, but doing what he does, you gotta stay relevant or someone might take your spot.  Also, he needs to ride this boom out as long as he can.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to drop the ascot though. :P

C4F4FA4C-2AEB-4A4E-B06F-3BDAA52AEB88.jpeg.598b097c041d26a8a529ba182553e352.jpeg

When I wrote that I was expressing the (petty) thought that I liked ascots well before FM did. But I certainly don’t begrudge him the sartorial choice. Obviously it’s a successful memory hook, even if he claims he just likes them. My best friend’s brother has all his slacks hemmed an inch too high for that reason- he looks like a short Kramer. An ascot seems less affected, and if you replaced it with a regular necktie you would think he’s overdressed.

I don’t begrudge his success, and he’s done a lot of good things with it, but his writing doesn’t grab me. I’m a B+ subscriber and I have one of his books. But niche subjects don’t usually attract top-flight writing- I see that in many of my hobbies.

I roll my eyes when he complains about influencers, though. I understand that he’s complaining about the Instagram set, but he is most definitely an influencer. One of the more knowledgeable and connected, but still an influencer.
  • I like it 1

15 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I was actually bummed when the Packers lost. I knew a guy who played in the first Superbowl for the Pack against the chiefs. His ring was a trip. The first SB ring. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

Good to hear there are some Gopher fans in California. My old man played back in the 50's when they dominated. Good to see them come back.

19 hours ago, evasive said:

I wore an ascot at my wedding in 2000- I thought it looked better than a bow tie.

If anyone remembers Kangol hats...I used to wear one because I was a rap music fan. I got some heat but I didn't care. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I was actually bummed when the Packers lost. I knew a guy who played in the first Superbowl for the Pack against the chiefs. His ring was a trip. The first SB ring. 

...As was I; but not for the personal reasons you get to use, Bbstout.   That is very cool!   My reasons are kind of sentimental, though.   I just really hoped to see Aaron Rogers play again in a couple weex.   Ah, well. 

I imagine The Lions will get there....

Never.

7 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Good to hear there are some Gopher fans in California. My old man played back in the 50's when they dominated. Good to see them come back.

Yeah, my son went to UMN in Minneapolis so got to go to a couple of games when I would go out to visit and became a fan.  And being close, I was able to go to the game at Fresno State last Sept.  What a game that was!  Really like what P. J. Fleck is doing with that program. 

Fred (the unfamous one)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.