Germain-Robin / Gallo Update?

DeepCover
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With Gallo buying the GR brand, barrels, and any other remaining inventory, I’m curious to know the status of the old GR distillery and what Gallo is now doing from a production perspective.

Who is using the GR distillery in Ukiah now? 

Is Gallo producing under the GR label yet? If so, where and what are they producing? A local LS says Gallo is now sourcing barrels for the GR label (no Gallo distillate used).

Are Coale and Corley still involved?

Any updates would be appreciated.

• I like it 1

Hhhhmmm.  I don't pay much attention to this part of the domestic non-grain distilled spirits market (because I know a little about what I like so do not stray far from what I know), but this poked me to take a broader look.  Here's a link to the Aug 2017 Gallo press release on this acquisition (which also describes Gallo's other product lines/labels) which I am using as a starting point.  Don't wait to see what I found, as I may forget what I'm doing.

http://www.gallo.com/press/2017-08-16-germain-robin-luxury-california-brandy

Nice questions you asked.  I wonder what info is available to the "public" on this?  ASIDE - Isn't it grand to be retired and have time to ruminate?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
CLOSE THE PARENTHETICALS, DUMMY!!

Hmmmm. I wonder if The Boss has any insight into this which he is able to share. He works for J Winery And Vineyards.

Biba! Joe

Gallo?  Are you sure that’s not Callo, with a “C”?  

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@DeepCover et al,

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this post from January. @KyleCBreese listed a good update, but there are a few additional updates. 

Joe Corley is no longer distilling for G-R. He's now working as a consultant. From what I understand, the G-R Redwood Valley distillery is no more, along with the original G-R distillery up at Ansley Coale's ranch in Ukiah. Hubert was selling off that ancient pot still back in the fall. Twice a year, he consults for Gallo and works with their master distiller, David Warter. 

Ansley is no longer involved anymore, to my latest knowledge, though he still is president of the Craft Distillers LLC, which imports craft made spirits internationally. 

I don't know if I should post this or not, but back in February I had a chance to try a sneak preview of some of the new G-R under the Gallo brandy. It's, well......let's just say it's different from the original brand. It didn't seem to have the same depth, complexity, blending style, length, finesse, etc., as the original. That's not saying it's "bad" at all, it just isn't like the original. 

Hope that helps a little. If this virus goes away sooner than later, Hubert will probably be staying with me in the fall after he's done his work with Gallo for the season, so I'll probably know more later on. 

Cheers, and stay well,

Nancy

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.