What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

43 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

But, I have a dozen or so 114s bunkered here and there.  Rather than order-for-delivery some OGD BIBs, thereby incurring the wrath of a wife who is petrified of anything arriving on the porch  (particularly since the KNOWN bunker/bunkers contains/contain several years' worth of bourbon and rye even at MY consumption levels), I decided to crack the 114.  

What the ?  Desperate times call for desperate measures. I will say that one of my favorite blends is OGD 114 and Ritt BIB, 1:1.  

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I just have one question Harry. Did you forget to check the “trunk” again? ?

Biba! Joe

HAHAHA!  Joe made a funny.  OTOH, I must admit I did not check.  So, I just did.  No OGD BIB, but I did find an OF 1897, a Baker's, and a Virgin 101 7YO.  So, THANKS!  The joke really WAS on me.:wub:

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

HAHAHA!  Joe made a funny.  OTOH, I must admit I did not check.  So, I just did.  No OGD BIB, but I did find an OF 1897, a Baker's, and a Virgin 101 7YO.  So, THANKS!  The joke really WAS on me.:wub:

Contrary to what my wife believes most of he time, maybe I am good for somethin' after all.:P  Enjoy Harry! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

had this one in the bunker for a while so i decided to clear it out and open it up. It is a blend of mpg and dickel.

20200507_171037.jpg

Opened a FR PS OESK this afternoon. At 8yr 7mo it's the youngest PS from them that I've had, but at 58.3%abv still carry's a lot of oomph. The pick was done in 2016, so that may explain the low age of the barrel, but you wouldn't know it by the nose. Very nice. Taste is spicy and more than I expected, but with a little water it rounds out nicely. Where it fails is in the finish. There really isn't much of anything other than a quick hit in the back of the throat and then nothing. No Kentucky Hug with this one, but it won't be a problem finishing the bottle as the taste is enough to carry it.

Had to give them a whirl! Wish me luck during tonight’s tasting 

0070DF6D-75DE-45D6-ACE6-0EFF5C6D3A57.jpeg

C39A89F9-A954-43AA-8E18-F8E9CC2D1082.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Had to give them a whirl! Wish me luck during tonight’s tasting 

0070DF6D-75DE-45D6-ACE6-0EFF5C6D3A57.jpeg

C39A89F9-A954-43AA-8E18-F8E9CC2D1082.jpeg

I predict Gold to be the winner.  :)

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

I predict Gold to be the winner.  :)

It was a toss up between gold and SFTB. Neither were the “WOW Factor” I was hoping for. 

• I like it 1

Opened my Weller Full Proof Store pick tonight with my buddy who helped me get it (we share points at a local liquor store rewards program).

Its fantastic, with a syrupy sweetness that keeps you coming back for more.

Holy cow it’s good!

FC78C641-D301-431A-8F48-2B9DD271B6B5.jpeg

• I like it 6

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

Opened my Weller Full Proof Store pick tonight with my buddy who helped me get it (we share points at a local liquor store rewards program).

Holy cow it’s good!

Looks like it might be a tad hot, however. Eh? 

(Great picture! ?

• I like it 1

From just after I discovered Booker's and found out that barrel proof bourbon was a thing.  I have to say this has more depth and complexity than the current batches.  Could be the age.  Most recent batches are just over 6yo.  Whatever.  Glad I've got a couple more...

bookers 2013.jpg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

Holy cow it’s good!

I love that the lighting in this pic makes it look like you took it with your old phone :)

• I like it 1

opened this one on Saturday but forgot to post it. The neck pour was nice and if it opens up after a little air time it will drink dangerously smooth for its proof.

20200509_141315.jpg

• I like it 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:05 PM, 0895 said:

Holy cow it’s good!

I am sad that I wasn't even in the running for one of these. This darn covid-19 ordeal has my buying strategy on hold for the time being. My wife thinks I have too much bourbon and doesn't want me buying anymore bottles, so I usually stop by this store on my way home from work and pay cash when I get something so that she doesn't know about it. At least I am hopeful that I'll get to try a pour of it once they are able to resume normal operation and have their tasting bar back open.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Double C's said:

My wife thinks I have too much bourbon and doesn't want me buying anymore bottles,

How many pairs of shoes and purses does she have???  ?

• I like it 1

I opened a bottle of 1792 that I had completely forgot I had. Nice surprise while digging for a pan in the back of a cabinet.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, ebo said:

I opened a bottle of 1792 that I had completely forgot I had. Nice surprise while digging for a pan in the back of a cabinet.

Are you related to Harry? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

After 3+ weeks my 93 year old Grandmother has officially recovered from Covid this morning, took about 30 seconds to figure out what my celebratory pour would be.  Knowing younger people not quite as fortunate it's nice to feel a little optimism today. 

y4mfJvM7yfa46vHLtQtPBkpBYEiEiBV8yaWudz5F

• I like it 18

12 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

After 3+ weeks my 93 year old Grandmother has officially recovered from Covid this morning, took about 30 seconds to figure out what my celebratory pour would be.  Knowing younger people not quite as fortunate it's nice to feel a little optimism today. 

I’ll join you in a celebratory pour of the same brother. Please give your grandfather a shout out for me. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

40 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

9F4943D7-C3D2-4C73-9C50-4BEB2520FFB8.jpeg

How was it? I'm basically  just a rye guy but been thinking about getting it for a bourbon sipping beauty I know. Last I seen she was drinking Booker's.

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

So happy to hear this great news!  

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

So happy for you and your family!

• I like it 4

Opened a backup bottle of Issac Bowman Port finished, a must have on the shelf for me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.