What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

27 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I need to revisit one of these blind. I can't get past the name. Just seeing JD on a bottle makes me taste rotten bananas.

Get on it. This stuff is great.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I need to revisit one of these blind. I can't get past the name. Just seeing JD on a bottle makes me taste rotten bananas.

I was right there with you before I finally succumbed and bought a bottle. While it wasn't a favorite of mine, there was definitely a much better taste and finish to it than I had anticipated. No banana! 

17 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Popped an OF 9y. This is my first time with this one. Really good. 
648B172D-4D04-4199-ABEF-FF1F079BD925.thumb.jpeg.9c71341d787b56f1c6ccfe612840555f.jpeg

I loved the 9 year even more than the 11 year - just a great pour from start to finish.   Very elegant wheater.

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I was right there with you before I finally succumbed and bought a bottle. While it wasn't a favorite of mine, there was definitely a much better taste and finish to it than I had anticipated. No banana! 

I have tried samples...but I knew what it was so my perception was likely pre-formed in my head.

10 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I have tried samples...but I knew what it was so my perception was likely pre-formed in my head.

I will agree/disagree in parts. I very much enjoy JDBP, but do agree there are banana notes in  the ones I  have tried.  And as Clueby stated that note is more like a real banana as opposed to 1792 where I frequently get a strong artificial Runt Banana Candy flavor.   That artificial banana has turned me off of most of the 1792 line.   The JD banana flavors have been more like a bananas foster or similar dessert with caramel or brown sugar.  However, I can also see it being possible to get ripe or overripe banana and would agree that I would not enjoy that flavor without the brown sugar/caramel.

• I like it 1

Banana Puddin'!!

I don't often drink Jack Daniels but when I do it's always JD SBBP. 

14 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Banana Puddin'!!

I don't often drink Jack Daniels but when I do it's always JD SBBP. 

Stay thirsty my friend....

• I like it 6

Purchased and opened a bottle of Beam single barrel and a bottle of Early Times bonded. Loving the ET, a lot of vanilla, brown sugar and dried fruit in this one.

• I like it 4

Opened a fresh HMcK10 last night.  This is my first bottle of this in a couple years since all the hype made it disappear.  Picked this up a few months ago for maybe $31ish.  That same day I had been to another store that wanted $100?!?!

Anyway, this is a good barrel. Not mind blowing, but a solid well-made bourbon that I'd gladly buy again..at $31ish.

20200522_221629.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

Cracked after picking up yesterday while watching Reservoir Dogs last night.

FFAD5A2D-1491-4F36-BA37-21D3CDD95B63.jpeg

6A1182E2-5575-4542-AE29-B1A322B9BB6A.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Cracked after picking up yesterday while watching Reservoir Dogs last night.

FFAD5A2D-1491-4F36-BA37-21D3CDD95B63.jpeg

6A1182E2-5575-4542-AE29-B1A322B9BB6A.jpeg

"Wait a minute, who didn't throw in?!"

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Wow.

way better than I expected.

Almost worth the coin.... almost.

0DA7F083-76FF-4BC2-8F0B-51386BB738BF.jpeg

Like the matching glass. What's the damage on this one? $130ish?  I have avoided the WR limited Edition bottles thus far.

Just now, Bob_Loblaw said:

Like the matching glass. What's the damage on this one? $130ish?  I have avoided the WR limited Edition bottles thus far.

I think I paid $100 for it.

This was the second national release of it (2019 I think).

I probably won’t buy any more of them, especially with OF barrel proof store picks coming soon.

• I like it 1

Just now, 0895 said:

I probably won’t buy any more of them, especially with OF barrel proof store picks coming soon.

That's the info I needed.  My local is scheduled to do an off premise OF BP pick from samples.  I am hoping it will happen while I am still working at home so I can shoot over and partake.

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I'm a big fan of this as well though I've only tried the first release. Like you, I'll not be tempted to buy another at that price especially with OFBP coming down the pike.

45 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

That's the info I needed.  My local is scheduled to do an off premise OF BP pick from samples.  I am hoping it will happen while I am still working at home so I can shoot over and partake.

Try to make that happen. The one we picked for my local was VERY good.

• I like it 2

Opened up this one, to enjoy and share with my Brother. We are getting to spend time together for the first time since January.  Dang Corona virus. 

Happy Memorial Day. ??

IMG_4002.JPG

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up this one, to enjoy and share with my Brother. We are getting to spend time together for the first time since January.  Dang Corona virus. 

Happy Memorial Day. ??

IMG_4002.JPG

This is a beautiful Bourbon.  It tastes even better in my Straight Bourbon glencairn, gifted to me. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

This is a beautiful Bourbon. 

Cheers

Hell yes it is.

It is one of the few 4 Roses bottles that was delicious to me immediately upon opening.  Most of them seem to take some time to blossom if you will...

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Happy Memorial Day. ??

IMG_4002.JPG

I’m jealous. I had a chance to purchase exactly one of these.. at $800.

4 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I’m jealous. I had a chance to purchase exactly one of these.. at $800.

WOW!!!!   It's very good whiskey; but not $800 whiskey.    Yet, I will not be in the least surprised if I find some fool paid that for a bottle.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

I believe the Spring 2020 release is $150ish in my area, and that’s at regular retail price. It’s pricey for sure, but doesn’t disappoint in the glass!

• I like it 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:28 PM, Not_That_Fancy said:

Why not give it a shot? 

E7465261-F215-459C-BFC5-37983EAFD807.jpeg

How was it?   I did not like pact 5 at all and was hoping for better things with pact 6.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.