What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

How was it?   I did not like pact 5 at all and was hoping for better things with pact 6.

This was the first BO I’ve had. I purchased from a total wine for $99 with low expectations from the BO reviews. Overall I’d give it a 3.5/5. I was really hoping for the Congac finish to be something that stood out or pop. Unfortunately, it wasn’t there for me. 

I’ll still give it 3.5/5 due to my new love in Ryes. The Carmel and sweetness on the nose was mellow with an extremely smooth oak finish of some of the older barrels in the blend. With a group of 4, it was finished quickly. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:44 PM, flahute said:

I'm a big fan of this as well though I've only tried the first release. Like you, I'll not be tempted to buy another at that price especially with OFBP coming down the pike.

Try to make that happen. The one we picked for my local was VERY good.

Hopefully I will get some information on my next trip, but I am ready to do just about anything necessary to get in on this one!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up this one, to enjoy and share with my Brother. We are getting to spend time together for the first time since January.  Dang Corona virus. 

Happy Memorial Day. ??

IMG_4002.JPG

Probably my favorite bottle design since I have been into bourbon.   The juice is also some of the best I've had.  Good day for you and your brother!

• I like it 5

I busted this out for Memorial Day to share with a fellow vet. Had a hefty pour for all the men and women that gave their lives for this great country. My first trying anything “Winkle”. It struck me as a more vibrant OWA, so you can’t lose there. I was $90 invested and that was enough to give it a whirl but I don’t think I would pay anything higher than that. 

DCC1F3A8-6C5F-45D1-8C30-6D9FD18A9295.jpeg

• I like it 14

A friend from childhood (and tailgating buddy) stopped by to chat and wish me a Happy Birthday.

Couldn't think of a more appropriate person to open and enjoy the ECBP C919.

I opened and pour into two glencairns, then let them sit for 30 minutes to open up.

My first taste was an amazing flavor of fruit ( for me non-descript, just fruity), followed

by a finish that was very smooth and just a bit of heat from the alcohol.  Extremely good.

My buddy liked it so much that he told me if I came across another bottle of it, to pick it 

up for him.

Needles to say, happy I ran across this bottle.  And I think I will go pickup another!

20200524_163516[1].jpg

• I like it 1

opened this up yesterday. I might need to mix up some 1915 now to see how it is.

20200527_145718.jpg

• I like it 4

Enjoying the JD Single Barrel BP. First pour neat. Bananas Foster on the nose leads to deep brown sugar and caramel notes. Great color in the glass and appropriately oily/viscous. The sweetness carries over to the finish that is unfortunately a bit shot and falls off quickly. Then there is a brief hint of the proof, but it does not linger. Dangerously drinkable and I switched to a large cube for safety reasons as it’s still early.  This cube was one of the ugly ones so I get to have it.

It’s hard to believe the juice is only 4-5 years old. Would really love the chance to taste JD at the 8-10 year mark with some more body and oak. 

37068822-7ABE-4D90-BB9B-6D6364BECCD9.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Enjoying the JD Single Barrel BP. First pour neat. Bananas Foster on the nose leads to deep brown sugar and caramel notes. Great color in the glass and appropriately oily/viscous. The sweetness carries over to the finish that is unfortunately a bit shot and falls off quickly. Then there is a brief hint of the proof, but it does not linger. Dangerously drinkable and I switched to a large cube for safety reasons as it’s still early.  This cube was one of the ugly ones so I get to have it.

It’s hard to believe the juice is only 4-5 years old. Would really love the chance to taste JD at the 8-10 year mark with some more body and oak. 

37068822-7ABE-4D90-BB9B-6D6364BECCD9.jpeg

Great cube!  Nice touch with the early afternoon hooch.  Me likee . . . .     ?

On 5/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Probably my favorite bottle design since I have been into bourbon.   The juice is also some of the best I've had.  Good day for you and your brother!

Agreed.  Both the bottle & the contents are top notch.  Mr Young created an epic masterpiece. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Cheers

On 5/25/2020 at 1:37 AM, 0895 said:

Hell yes it is.

It is one of the few 4 Roses bottles that was delicious to me immediately upon opening.  Most of them seem to take some time to blossom if you will...

You are right, it seems to be open right from the first pour. And the finish lasts for days. I will really enjoy this one. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, mal00768 said:

I’m jealous. I had a chance to purchase exactly one of these.. at $800.

The Al Young is one of the best Bourbons released in recent years

IMHO.  But,  $800 !  Sorry, no. 

Cheers

On 5/29/2020 at 1:41 AM, GeeTen said:

Great cube!  Nice touch with the early afternoon hooch.  Me likee . . . .     ?

Thanks! Me too, but I paid the price for going straight to a 133.7pf whiskey early!

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

Opened an EHTaylor SB that I picked up this week. Good as always, but the one I had at the end of last year was better. 
43FBA573-8E74-4D3D-9708-464D660140A2.thumb.jpeg.7bff132f8b4e0199394e3c392d1a9eb5.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Opened up a new Four Roses PS, this one is OESQ

How is "The Q?"  ;-))

Opened up a RRSiB PS tonight. I have had this one since 2017. It is 10yrs old. I think this one will be interesting. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Opened up a new W12

20200531_012626.jpg

Whoa!  That is a forest of Weller. Nice. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Thanks to a fellow SB-er, I was able to get a dusty bottle of Wild Turkey Liqueur, I opened that bottle and tried a small pour.    Very much like I remembered it.   Bourbon's answer to Dambuie. 

I shall soon enough try my old quick-trick and make a fake Old Fashioned using about an ounce or a bit less of the WTL with about 2-ounces of WT101 and a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters.   Not today; but soon.

• I like it 4

Purchased and opened a Lucky Seven 12 year old today. I had been eyeing this my last two trips to the store. It is good but I'm not sure that I would spend $100 on another.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Double C's said:

opened this up yesterday. I might need to mix up some 1915 now to see how it is.

20200527_145718.jpg

I would really encourage you to do so.  I find OF1910 to be enjoyable at times and too sweet at other times.  I enjoy OF1920 but sometimes find it too hot. However, I really enjoy both in a 50:50 blend.  Sometime the sum is greater than the parts. 

18 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Whoa!  That is a forest of Weller. Nice. 

Cheers

Doesn't quite seem fair to those of who don't live in Texas, does it?

On 5/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, Adam777 said:

I busted this out for Memorial Day to share with a fellow vet. Had a hefty pour for all the men and women that gave their lives for this great country. My first trying anything “Winkle”. It struck me as a more vibrant OWA, so you can’t lose there. I was $90 invested and that was enough to give it a whirl but I don’t think I would pay anything higher than that. 

DCC1F3A8-6C5F-45D1-8C30-6D9FD18A9295.jpeg

Adam, 

Thank you for your service!  That is a great photo.  I hope you and your friend enjoyed your pour(s)!  Cheers, friend!

22 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thanks! Me too, but I paid the price for going straight to a 133.7pf whiskey early!

The price being...happy?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.