What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well sometimes your palate makes the decision on what to open next. 

I poured a very casual standard 4R Small Batch bottled back 2013 that I've been enjoying off and on for awhile, not thinking about it while I kick back amd enjoy some music. The 90 proof SmB is fantastic tonight, the best it has tasted yet.  So sensing a good palate night I immediately pour some 2013 125th Anniversary 4R. Yep, just as I thought.  Again fantastic but with lots more complexity of course.

I've been meaning to open up a new Small Batch LE, so tonight's definitely the night.

2017 it is.

20200712_002711.thumb.jpg.36fbec906faf3f66fa9b723cba6f31f3.jpg

• I like it 9

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Is that the renown TW pick we've heard about?

It is, and the reputation is well deserved. The Campari rep mis-labeled the tag. It’s actually a floor 7 warehouse H. Most Russell’s improve pretty drastically for me over time. If this one does it will be phenomenal. 

• I like it 2

Some 1792 BIB over a cube while grilling.  These were done so fast I didn't have time to sit and sip.

Ooops... wrong thread. Was supposed to be in the "what are you drinking".  It could also be in "empty bottle" since that was the final pour from that bottle.

20200712_172226.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

Got a Blanton's Gold today (my first bottle but have tried it before) and decided to do a sbs with regular Blanton's.  Had to open a fresh one so both bottles are newly opened. The Gold is slightly darker in color and not as "bright and shiny". The nose on regular I get fresh mown hay and some pears, where on the Gold I get more of stewed fruit syrup nose and a little bit of leather in the background. Both of those carry thru to the palate with the Gold just being an all around richer experience. It's what regular Blanton's aspires to be.

20200712_193413.jpg

• I like it 5

On 7/10/2020 at 11:06 PM, Kepler said:

Happy Fryeday

20200710_220502.thumb.jpg.2bead2bb418d4892fcb4737c1325d9ef.jpg

I have been enjoying OF100 bourbon recently. I whipped up on a bottle over the past few weeks. Picked up another today for $23. The 100 proof bourbon and rye are both great values and easy sippers. Great after dinner whiskeys. 

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, PaulO said:

I finally saw WT 101 Rye at a store that doesn't always have the best prices.  They wanted $45.  At least now I know it's in Indiana.

Hey Paul, 

It dried up for awhile but I have seen it in pockets around Indy. Both Crown stores in Avon have carried it for a couple of years now. However,  I haven't seen it in other Crown stores.  I believe I saw it in Big Red in Brownsburg but only one time. That is one of their single barrel stores so anything bourbon or rye is picked over as soon as it hits the store.

I had a few bottles from back in 2013 that I believe I purchased in the low $20s. I was disappointed to see it priced in the low $40s when it returned.  I bought a bottle when it returned because I have a friend who really likes it. I always liked it too. But, I am just as happy with OF Rye.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:04 PM, PaulO said:

I finally saw WT 101 Rye at a store that doesn't always have the best prices.  They wanted $45.  At least now I know it's in Indiana.

That's not a terrible price.  I usually see it around $40, which is not bad considering it's a liter bottle...

On 7/13/2020 at 9:58 AM, fosmith said:

That's not a terrible price.  I usually see it around $40, which is not bad considering it's a liter bottle...

Plenty in Ohio for $34.50+6.75% tax

Opened up another bottle of a particularly stellar single barrel store pick of WTKS I stocked up on in Kentucky a couple of years ago. This one never disappoints.

• I like it 3

Opened my just acquired WTRB rye. Only a single pour in but sometimes you taste something and you just know you have a winner. No air time or multi week evolution or waiting for a particular phase of the moon, its not challenging or something with a flavor that must be acquired,  its just good, really good out of the bottle,  just like the RB bourbon.

• I like it 4

I picked this up about a week ago and cracked it open this afternoon. This I think is the 2nd release from the limited edition series that MM began in 2019 with the RC6 release. So far it seems a bit bitter and tannic. Not all that impressed so far, but I hope it opens up. I did have a sample of the gift-shop only version of this from a few years ago and remember it being better. I like the RC6 release from last year, and some of the MMCS batches a lot better than this.

IMG_9456.JPG

Edited by silverc

On 7/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, Clueby said:

Got a Blanton's Gold today (my first bottle but have tried it before) and decided to do a sbs with regular Blanton's.  Had to open a fresh one so both bottles are newly opened. The Gold is slightly darker in color and not as "bright and shiny". The nose on regular I get fresh mown hay and some pears, where on the Gold I get more of stewed fruit syrup nose and a little bit of leather in the background. Both of those carry thru to the palate with the Gold just being an all around richer experience. It's what regular Blanton's aspires to be.

20200712_193413.jpg

I love the Blanton's Gold. However since the US version is landing here, it's a good time to point out to anyone who cares, that in a blind side-by-side I preferred Rock Hill Farms.  Mashbilll #2 100 proof versus 103.  But less than half the price. Roughly equally difficult to find I suppose, so that part is basically a wash.  Actually I'm expecting BGold to be harder to find for the first couple of years due to the new "shiny object" Tater factor.

Overall advantage RHF for my money.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I love the Blanton's Gold. However since the US version is landing here, it's a good time to point out to anyone who cares, that in a blind side-by-side I preferred Rock Hill Farms.  Mashbilll #2 100 proof versus 103.  But less than half the price. Roughly equally difficult to find I suppose, so that part is basically a wash.  Actually I'm expecting BGold to be harder to find for the first couple of years due to the new "shiny object" Tater factor.

Overall advantage RHF for my money.

Haven"t found RHF for 2 years except for a couple bottles...at $200 (pass). I'm down to my last bottle of it. You will never find it at retail in this market. I'm expecting BG to be lottery only or 3x retail when it hits here. Regular Blanton's is a lottery item here and goes for $80.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, silverc said:

I picked this up about a week ago and cracked it open this afternoon. This I think is the 2nd release from the limited edition series that MM began in 2019 with the RC6 release. So far it seems a bit bitter and tannic. Not all that impressed so far, but I hope it opens up. I did have a sample of the gift-shop only version of this from a few years ago and remember it being better. I like the RC6 release from last year, and some of the MMCS batches a lot better than this.

IMG_9456.JPG

MM is usually not in my regular rotation so my opinion cares no weight whatsoever. (Yeah same as all other bourbons). The 46 staves are my least favorite of the 5 available to mix for SP. It seems like a way to take a fairly simple and very smooth wheater and rough it up a bit. As you stated it brings in a lot of tannin's and bitter leather notes without adding additional bourbon flavors-at least the good ones. 

Bill Samuels seemed to favor this addition to his whiskey brand but lore has it Rob prefers the spice and mocha staves addition. Different taste make the world go round. I think my personal tastes more align with Rob on the best staves to add to add flavor to this bourbon.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Haven"t found RHF for 2 years except for a couple bottles...at $200 (pass). I'm down to my last bottle of it. You will never find it at retail in this market. I'm expecting BG to be lottery only or 3x retail when it hits here. Regular Blanton's is a lottery item here and goes for $80.

That sucks

A what bottle did you open today and empty bottle support group kind of picture.

IMG-0791.jpg

• I like it 4

I picked up a couple new ones yesterday, and opened 'em both today.   A private pick my monger did of Bulleitt Bourbon when he visited KY finally came in.    I'd tasted a sample in-store that had put me off a bit.    It seemed a bit oaky at the time .   It turns out that was a bad impression.    This is a fine barrel with a lovely nose, nicely balanced palate (a good deal sweeter than that taste struck me earlier) and decently long finish!       I also got talked into a "relationship" buy: Woodinville Straight Bourbon from out in Washington State.   Pot distilled Bourbon.    My first impressions: young and a little rough around the edges; but not awful.   Not worth the coin (almost fiddy bux).   Probably would work OK in many mixes or some cocktails, I suppose.

Opened an ECBP B518. Not sure if I tried this batch before. I get a lot of nuttiness (almonds vs peanuts) that I get with a lot of other HH stuff but usually not so much with ECBP.

20200802_151157.jpg

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

Opened an ECBP B518. Not sure if I tried this batch before. I get a lot of nuttiness (almonds vs peanuts) that I get with a lot of other HH stuff but usually not so much with ECBP.

20200802_151157.jpg

Hmmm.   Wrong Picture, Clueby?   This pic is clearly a bottle of A-118; not B-518.

13 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmm.   Wrong Picture, Clueby?   This pic is clearly a bottle of A-118; not B-518.

Oops....don't drink and post! Yes it was A118. 

• I like it 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, silverc said:

IMG_9456.JPG

Although an LE for this year this a separate release from their annual Wood Finishing Series. This is the new one for 2020.

https://www.makersmark.com/wood-finishing-series-2020-release

• I like it 1

yep. 

On 7/12/2020 at 1:31 AM, Kepler said:

Is that the renown TW pick we've heard about?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.