What Dram are you enjoying Winter 2019/2020

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fall has been over for a long time, hell winter is getting kind of long in the tooth, though here it doesn't really seem to have made it's presence known as it normally does, that being said I'm very much enjoying this pour and find myself wishing that Ballechin was more widely available here in the US of A.

y4m0uB-bgLtUOnRniFu26EgSYSeIcBQ869yre54I

Tonight?  Jameson! 

I normally drink majority high proof, but the light, floral finish on this dram is perfectly satisfactory in this moment. :)

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, beasled said:

That's a hefty pour

No doubt-- that puts the MORE in LISMORE.

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

doing some important research for science....

y4mveDry4w-4PVbkwFv-7j2YpGJ12f1ZmRKhPuNu

Nice-- I'm doing the same thing with Royal Brackla tonight-- the official 12 yo vs. two indies.

I've never had the Distiller's Edition Clynelish-- how does it compare with the stock 14yo release?

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Nice-- I'm doing the same thing with Royal Brackla tonight-- the official 12 yo vs. two indies.

I've never had the Distiller's Edition Clynelish-- how does it compare with the stock 14yo release?

Very different, the sherry influence is pretty significant, the G&M Connoisseurs Choice is far closer in profile to the DE despite the fact that the DE has more age. I'd probably pick the CC particularly based on the price paid (though that is largely a thing of the past). 

I hoarded a case of Clynelish 14 at $40/bottle a couple years back.  Aquavitae was the one who turned me on to this quietly-hidden gem.  

I started this evening's festivities with a teenage SBS.  

Old Pulteney 17 and Longmorn 16.  

"They are both better, in different but better ways!"  

Edited by Guss West
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Very different, the sherry influence is pretty significant, the G&M Connoisseurs Choice is far closer in profile to the DE despite the fact that the DE has more age. I'd probably pick the CC particularly based on the price paid (though that is largely a thing of the past). 

Yes, and beyond the cost it’s probably the least tinkered with. All reports during my travels last week is that Gordon & Macphail finally resolved their recent situation and bottles are starting to trickle back into the States. 

• I like it 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, Guss West said:

I hoarded a case of Clynelish 14 at $40/bottle a couple years back.  Aquavitae was the one who turned me on to this quietly-hidden gem.  

I started this evening's festivities with a teenage SBS.  

Old Pulteney 17 and Longmorn 16.  

"They are both better, in different but better ways!"  

This post was a good omen-- I was in a bourboncentric LS over the weekend and was shocked to see a single battered 2013 Longmorn 16 (olive carton with neck flag) sitting next to the Chivas Regal. First time I've ever seen any Longmorn in the state. It wasn't even in their system, but it's in mine now.

• I like it 1

An airways enjoyable pour for me, Compass Box Spice Tree out by the fire, tonight.  Such a chew inducing finish with this whiskey.  

576260A3-3C89-4CAD-BA58-FC2AE2131AF1.jpeg

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

An airways enjoyable pour for me, Compass Box Spice Tree out by the fire, tonight.  Such a chew inducing finish with this whiskey.  

The legs and viscosity on this whiskey are amazing...

048BBE7F-E7BE-4885-85B1-445FC8E0E6BD.jpeg

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Last weekend I pulled my bottle of this one purchased about 6-7 years ago and was reminded of what you say. It sort of blew me away how good it was. Those guys are blending masters.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Last weekend I pulled my bottle of this one purchased about 6-7 years ago and was reminded of what you say. It sort of blew me away how good it was. Those guys are blending masters.

Yep!  Spice Tree is one of my very favorites from him.  

That emphasis on the chocolate/coffee malt character made it my “Valentine” pairing with chocolate cake.

6EA3CE75-392E-4240-BC98-BD88C1450456.jpeg.977799847c0d0ae68fe7e83d55444cc0.jpeg

• I like it 2

Enjoying a nice pour of Redbreast Lustau.  RBCS was the first Irish whiskey I really liked.  Had this bee out then and I tried it first, it could have taken its place (don't love it quite as much, but like it a whole lot more than most other Irish).

• I like it 1

On 2/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, GaryT said:

Poured some Redbreast 12 CS just because :) 

Atta boy. Good choice!

• I like it 1

Enjoyed some short pours this afternoon of Compass Box Delilahs XXV, No Name Vol 1, and No Name Vol 2.  All delicious.  At first wasn't nuts about No Name V1 (which is mostly Ardbeg) but with time in the glass really opened up with more nuance.  Definitely have to spend more quality time together :) 

• I like it 1

Caol Ila 12 at a restaurant across from the hotel. Not a common find on-premise. 

DCCE7B82-2115-4614-924C-D6EBB7E937D3.thumb.jpeg.3c8cab396016131e4c679e4179d6b21e.jpeg

• I like it 3

A gratis Glengarioch 8yo and BenRiach 12yo courtesy of a great bartender— followed by this generous Booker’s with coffee, as Fernet-Branca was absent from the house. 

204734DB-031B-4FB8-9831-323919383B9B.thumb.jpeg.842ef03ecb3349d70be6d32711103757.jpeg

• I like it 1

Braving death and disease for an Auchentoshan 12– shame about the proof and coloring. 

87F5E290-0E56-46AA-8113-B202A3C5DAB6.thumb.jpeg.134726daa5dea483ab7a870210b58074.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.