What Dram are you enjoying Winter 2019/2020

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You guys are such a bad influence on me.  I decided to dabble a little on "the dark side". ?

Tonight I'm having some Loch Lomand single malt (no age statement).  I'm not sure I have the vocabulary to properly describe.  It seems thick and oily for 80 proof.  I get some flavors like honey, and just a small amount of cigar box or humidor.  I like it.

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

You guys are such a bad influence on me.  I decided to dabble a little on "the dark side". ?

Be very, very careful :D. Thanks to the wonderful people here on SB I too dabbled a while ago with the darkside and now I have..... let's just say, a lot, of Scotch and Irish. Not nearly what some of the guys here have but damn sure more than I ever guessed I'd buy ?.

But I'm loving every minute of it!

• I like it 2

I'm using the skills gleaned from hunting and tasting Bourbon.  I won't buy unless I do a little research first.  So far, I have a short list of items to seek.  As with Bourbon, the brands that advertise a lot, or on every shelf - probably a waste of time for us.

I also tried Famous Grouse recently.  It was not bad at all for a blend.

The next night after that, I went back to Wild Turkey.  It gave me a whole new perspective on the barrel influence on WT, very interesting.

Just picked this up this 2014 bottling an hour ago— for good luck and strength to survive— as it was distilled back when I first opened shop...

282A3C20-00AB-489B-8088-B72CDED4FD92.thumb.jpeg.d7e6da30aae482f435e74a857ccdd98d.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 3/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, Vosgar said:

Poured some Laphroaig 15yr 200th anniversary and while it was OK, it was a little thin and weak to me tonight. Looked at what else was open on the bar and ended up adding some standard Ledaig 10yr. Still a bit thin but the added flavor made it much better.

I bought a few of these at the time without trying and agree that it's an underwhelming pour, Pretty sure the first one I opened is still the one in the "liquor cabinet"

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I bought a few of these at the time without trying and agree that it's an underwhelming pour

I did the same thing and have two more unopened :(. I never thought it'd be a "meh" pour. However, the bottle is decent enough that it's worth playing around with. I've got a PS Ledaig open that comes in at 120.2 proof so I might try a 50/50 blend and see what happens. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I did the same thing and have two more unopened :(. I never thought it'd be a "meh" pour. However, the bottle is decent enough that it's worth playing around with. I've got a PS Ledaig open that comes in at 120.2 proof so I might try a 50/50 blend and see what happens. 

Sounds like a good idea, I have a few higher ABV Young Laphroaigs that could be good companions, might try one tonight.

Talking Islay, I'm stoked to hear of the five year old age-stated Ardbeg.  If you like the 10, you should stock up before the price hike.  I've recently opened the Port Charlotte 10 and Finlaggan to add to the Islay corner.  

I've opened some real stunners over the past fortnight of introvert indulgence.  Enjoying a Springbank 10 vs Hazelburn 10 vs BenRiach 10 showdown that will roll thru the length of all three bottles, as they were opened together.  

Celebrated my new job with some Armagnac and a couple of teenagers; Longmorn 16 and Pulteney 17.  

Edited by Guss West
speeling
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Talking Islay, I'm stoked to hear of the five year old age-stated Ardbeg.  If you like the 10, you should stock up before the price hike.  I've recently opened the Port Charlotte 10 and Finlaggan to add to the Islay corner.  

I've opened some real stunners over the past fortnight of introvert indulgence.  Enjoying a Springbank 10 vs Hazelburn 10 vs BenRiach 10 showdown that will roll thru the length of all three bottles, as they were opened together.  

Celebrated my new job with some Armagnac and a couple of teenagers; Longmorn 16 and Pulteney 17.  

Great bottles all around— is the Hazelburn the Rundlets & Kilderkins expression?

• I like it 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, Vosgar said:

On 3/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, kevinbrink said:

Sounds like a good idea, I have a few higher ABV Young Laphroaigs that could be good companions, might try one tonight.

Went with a blend of these three, will let them mingle for a week or so it's mostly the first two with a splash of the Battlehill which has a bit of a banana note that reminds me of young Jack Daniels. 

y4mkCf6SZNnHZ1dZWvJ5d5CXN9jr3JJsEczwz5jp

My good man, I've never even seen an R&K bottling of any Springbank or Hazelburn. 

I must be looking for love in all the wrong places. 

13 hours ago, Guss West said:

My good man, I've never even seen an R&K bottling of any Springbank or Hazelburn. 

I must be looking for love in all the wrong places. 

I still see the Hazelburn around from time-to-time, but the Springbank and Longrow variants seem to be gone for good. It may be hard to tell, but it's one of my favorite drams… 

IMG_4132.thumb.jpg.e044c33dacd1cb4f5d75cf200794b0cc.jpg

On 3/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, Vosgar said:

I just find Laphroaig to be the shining example of older isn't always better.  I've tried them from NAS to 32 years and while most were good, I never really enjoyed one more than the 10 Year Cask Strength.  That's just a great damn whisky. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

I just find Laphroaig to be the shining example of older isn't always better.  I've tried them from NAS to 32 years and while most were good, I never really enjoyed one more than the 10 Year Cask Strength.  That's just a great damn whisky. 

Mostly agree but there is a time and a place for the  old 18 year old for me, austere as it was, wish I had bunkered a few more of those. 

• I like it 2

I didn't have anything unpeated open so I thought this needed rectifying. Cheers all!

20200404_213524.jpg

• I like it 5

Poured some Balvenie 15yr Sherry Cask after dinner.  I've enjoyed every Balvenie that I've ever tried, although some more than others.  This is definitely on the 'more' side for me :)  

Decided to change things up a bit and opened a bottle of The Macallan 12yr Double Cask last night.  Just noticed that's it's about 1/3 gone this morning.  Must be a leak in the bottle - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!   ?

20200409_064812.jpg

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Decided to change things up a bit and opened a bottle of The Macallan 12yr Double Cask last night.  Just noticed that's it's about 1/3 gone this morning.  Must be a leak in the bottle - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!   ?

Nahhhh. Really? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

A cold and blustery day has me wanting this pour this afternoon. Peatiness with some black licorice and leather. Very nice

ballechin.jpg

• I like it 3

53 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

A cold and blustery day has me wanting this pour this afternoon. Peatiness with some black licorice and leather. Very nice

ballechin.jpg

Just logged in to post that I had determined it to be a holiday of sorts and that holiday is Ballechin Day, glad to see someone was already celebrating!

y4m7XLOFLLtvFecMD_up-YNycInOD2rFsZCw0Tsd

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Just logged in to post that I had determined it to be a holiday of sorts and that holiday is Ballechin Day, glad to see someone was already celebrating!

y4m7XLOFLLtvFecMD_up-YNycInOD2rFsZCw0Tsd

I see we both have a cask 270 bottle. Interested to get your thoughts on it!

3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I see we both have a cask 270 bottle. Interested to get your thoughts on it!

It's the best of this lot, I like it quite a bit, interestingly despite the higher proof it's more balanced than the OB 10 year. All of these are good swimmers and I think I like them all better with a small splash with the exception of the K&L Bourbon Cask. There is a 10 year old Cask Strength Sauternes cask bottle that I am currently socially distanced from in Hackensack, that I'd love to try with it's siblings as I've often considered it one of the better malts I've had. 

I capped off my night with a tiny pour of that Laphroaig blend I put together and first impressions were positive. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.