BOTM 02/20 Old Grand Dad(s) 114

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First, apologies for missing BOTM in January. The work schedule and demands came on like gangbusters right after the holidays and the entire month resembled one very long Monday. The good news is that the break has allowed me to catch up and get back on schedule for posting these near the beginning of the month.

It's been almost 7 years since we discussed OGD 114. This month's selection is inspired by a recent post by my brother as well as a recent VBT.

Joe's post compared OGD 114 with perennial board favorite OGD BIB so the (s) in the thread title is a nod to the fact that these two bourbons are forever conjoined due their unique mashbill and yeast.

OGD114 is one of those bourbons that I latched onto early in my journey. It comes at a high proof for an amazing price. Both it and BIB always present me with a smokey barrel char note that I actually like quite a bit. It's different and better than the sooty note that some of us got with some batches of Weller 12. After that it rounds out with the spicy notes you'd expect with a high rye bourbon along with some nice balancing sweetness. 

As I sipped on it tonight while I contemplated this post I did a sbs with OGD BIB. Though they share the same DNA, they are clearly different bourbons. To me, 114 is fuller and slightly more complex. The BIB is quite lovely however and is still one of the great bargains in all of Bourbonia. One clearly must have both. Heck, Harry just would not survive without the BIB. And one thing we can all agree on is that we need Harry around for as long as we can get him so keep that BIB flowing.

Let's hear what you all think about the OGD family.

• I like it 2

OGD 114 is one of those bourbons I wouldn't mind getting stranded on a deserted island with, it's everything I want and need in a spirit. I also never feel bad about chasing a shot with a cheap lager, or snacking on roasted nuts on the side; very versatile pour that easily cuts through clashing flavors with its bold profile and high proof. Different taste, but for all practical uses I find it equivalent to WT101. Like I said in that other thread I have zero bourbon left in my stash at the moment, and this'll be the bottle I grab when I make my return.

This may come as a surprise but I've never seen the BIB on the shelf in Boston/Cambridge. At least not at my usual downtown places, I've lost access to the chain warehouses since I sold my car... The 80 proof is available, but it's a marked downgrade from the 114 as expected.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

OGD 114?  Good balance, unique profile among readily available bourbons. great value, very consistent . .  WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?????

• I like it 1

I must admit that OGD 114 is one that I don’t often drink by itself. However, It pairs very well with WSR in the GW4G blend, and I tend to prefer this blend over either of the two components separately.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I must admit that OGD 114 is one that I don’t often drink by itself. However, It pairs very well with WSR in the GW4G blend, and I tend to prefer this blend over either of the two components separately.

I’m with Jeff on this one. I’ve tried a couple of bottles over the years. No can do. This one drinks “hot “ to me. What flavor there is, is masked by the proof. Adding water to get the heat down works some, but when you get it down to a more tolerable level, the water dilutes the flavor. I did buy a bottle not too long ago to make a batch of GWFG. This I can live with. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I do like OGD 114 (and OGD BIB) and all thanks to this forum as I am not sure I would have thought to try it had I not read all the good comments about OGD.

I do agree that 114 can drink hot - and sometimes I am looking for that and sometimes not so go for BIB instead.  

I almost always have a bottle of one or both open at an given time nowadays.  

Only BIB is available right close - so I stock up on 114 when I am out and find it.  

I just hope that it keeps being unnoticed by the taters since it is one of the bourbons that is such a good value that it probably should be more - but I am very happy it is not ?

I know what I will be pouring first when I get home tonight ? - smiling just thinking about that first sip of OGD 114...

Great idea for this month flahute. I went over to the bar of many bottles and couldn't find it. After some back and forth I discovered that I had not replaced my last empty so off to the bunker to correct that oversight. Like tascabe it was this forum that encouraged me to hunt down OGD114 years ago. It was an acquired taste. At the time I was not drinking much high proof bourbon but this pour soon won me over with it's big bold taste. Burnt sugar in molasses, peanut shells, and vanilla bean. WOW really tasty, and once I had adjusted to the higher ABV I found it to drink slightly below it's proof. It's my go to at a Yuppy bar near the house where all the allocated brands have moved to sky high prices. (That same bar sold ETL for $8 and overnight went to $19 a pour once they caught on). OK back on point this easily one of my top 5 daily drinkers and hopefully will be for a long time to come. Thanks SB for leading me to this one.

• I like it 2

One of my first posts on SB was a comment on 114.  Squire and some others were discussing it.  I had never tried it so bought one ($22!!!!).  Neat sip was hot and dry wood.  I went to the kitchen for some ice water to drink with it.  Came back and smelled fruit ambrosia filling the room.  Took a REALLY small sip and found the fruit.  Bought close to a lifetime’s supply (not kidding) over the next 6 months.  Just in case.  I added to the stash when the rumor circulated that it might be discontinued (mid-2015?).  I’m good through 2036, I think.

I rarely drink it neat.  Using SB’s proof calculator to add water/ice, I drop it to about 105.  Funny thing, at 100, the 114 is still a little different than BIB.  Must be the water.

• I like it 4

Both staples for me and I was late to the OGD party as I avoided it for many years due to its Beam source and its youth ( a deadly combo to my taste buds when its actual Beam and not OGD with its unique and separate yeast). Despite the complements heaped on it throughout various SB threads, it was at a GBS gathering that the clouds parted and the angles sang. I was presented with a mystery Glencarin to taste, when I asked  "what is it?" the reply was "just drink it". What followed was one of those very rare and  beautiful WTF!!, HS!! moments where you remember the exact setting in which you first tasted a pour that become an instant favorite, it was OGD 114.

I followed the next day purchase of 114 with a BiB and it too immediately joined the regular rotation. I love em both. The 114 is one of my sit and savor pours and the Bib is there alongside WT101 as a daily drinker for whenever the mood strikes. Similar but different enough to always have both on hand and I wouldn't want to be without either. Excellent BOTM choice!!

• I like it 1

I'm finally aligned with the BOTM thread!  I've had trouble getting on board lately for one reason or another.  

I've just pulled out two bottles of OGD114 from the "Great Disco Scare of 2016" stash (close to a lifetime supply?). 

One is going to the daily drinker upstairs bar and one is going in with the "Beam Family Tree Throwdown" accumulated in the treasure chest.    

I've always thought this bottling gets better with air, so I've decanted half to facilitate physics.    

I'm convinced there are some subtle differences between 114 and BIB, just from multiple rounds of proof-matched blinded SBS tasting over the years.  The BIB was one of my first true bourbon loves, so I have a soft spot for this $20/L value bottling from Beam-Suntory.   

Prost!  

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Guss West said:

I'm finally aligned with the BOTM thread!  I've had trouble getting on board lately for one reason or another.  

I've just pulled out two bottles of OGD114 from the "Great Disco Scare of 2016" stash (close to a lifetime supply?). 

One is going to the daily drinker upstairs bar and one is going in with the "Beam Family Tree Throwdown" accumulated in the treasure chest.    

I've always thought this bottling gets better with air, so I've decanted half to facilitate physics.    

I'm convinced there are some subtle differences between 114 and BIB, just from multiple rounds of proof-matched blinded SBS tasting over the years.  The BIB was one of my first true bourbon loves, so I have a soft spot for this $20/L value bottling from Beam-Suntory.   

Prost!  

Glad to have you aboard!

I've been side by siding the BIB and 114 all week long since pulling them out for the post. They are most definitely different. 

• I like it 1

Just finished my first bottle of 114 a month or so ago, and half way through my first bottle of BIB.  I have not done a sbs, but I prefer the BIB.  The 114 is very good, but has a slightly harsh cinnamon note for me.  The BIB is excellent.  I find it improves with time in the glass - it's slightly rough finish smooths very nicely.  

I really, REALLY like the OGD 114 and BIB, but to say they are equal to current Wild Turkey 101, I call bullshit. There is noticeably older aged whiskey in WT101 and I for one will stand up for that and applaud this. Trust your own palate. 

I get the OGD love and basically agree that it's an EXCELLENT product in today's whiskey market, but let's not get carried away here. I love OGD BiB and 114 for the price, but I believe they would both benefit from a year or two extra in the barrel. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I really, REALLY like the OGD 114 and BIB, but to say they are equal to current Wild Turkey 101, I call bullshit. There is noticeably older aged whiskey in WT101 and I for one will stand up for that and applaud this. Trust your own palate. 

I get the OGD love and basically agree that it's an EXCELLENT product in today's whiskey market, but let's not get carried away here. I love OGD BiB and 114 for the price, but I believe they would both benefit from a year or two extra in the barrel. 

I don't see a single post claiming OGD is equal to WT101, though.

5 hours ago, Kane said:

I don't see a single post claiming OGD is equal to WT101, though.

Huh?  You mentioned it yourself. 

On 2/5/2020 at 2:01 AM, Kane said:

Different taste, but for all practical uses I find it equivalent to WT101

I think kcgumbohead also alluded to it. That's 2 mentions.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Huh?  You mentioned it yourself. 

I think kcgumbohead also alluded to it. That's 2 mentions.

And that's why I wanted to clarify, that's not how I read either of them. I said WT101 and OGD serve equivalent purposes in my house (i.e., those listed previously in context). kcgumbohead says something similar, that both are excellent daily drinkers. They do taste very different, we made no direct comparison of their intrinsic merits.

First, I'm throwing my love for OGD BiB and 114 on the pile. Not much to add there.

But, if not too off-topic, I would like to discuss what other expressions of OGD there have been and why there aren't additional expressions that might cater to us fans? The only other expression I am aware of is the 80 proof (which was previously 86 proof). Going back to the ND days, were there age stated versions or any other expressions? I have seen dusty versions of the 86, BiB, and 114, but nothing else.

Second, what would it take for there to be a "fancier" OGD release? I get that Basil Hayden is the fancier OGD brand, but it seems that being 80 proof is a fixed part of that brand's identity. I also get that OGD is not a "premium" brand and that Beam may not want to try to make it one. But gosh darn it, what would it take to get a 7 or 8 year old version of the BiB or 114? A man can dream.

To me...

114 is a 'thinking' sipper, as it's a bit young, a bit hot, but also a very complex pour that requires you to actually work your brain a bit in order to get it's full enjoyment.

BIB is a no effort or thought required, easy drinker that presses all the right buttons.   

• I like it 1

On 2/9/2020 at 5:40 PM, Kepler said:

Oh ok got it.  I think.  ?

OGD BIB vs. WT 101 (bourbons, of course).

FWIW, I watch TV with OGD BIB in the trash can next to my chair.  It’s my most consumed.  When I go fishing, though, WT101 is what’s in my flask.  In fact, for about 20+ years, nothing else has been in that flask, and I lost count of how many 750s passed brought it.  MORAL - One isn’t better than the other; it’s just “other”.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

To me...

114 is a 'thinking' sipper, as it's a bit young, a bit hot, but also a very complex pour that requires you to actually work your brain a bit in order to get it's full enjoyment.

BIB is a no effort or thought required, easy drinker that presses all the right buttons.   

I'm in this camp as well.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OGD BIB vs. WT 101 (bourbons, of course).

FWIW, I watch TV with OGD BIB in the trash can next to my chair.  It’s my most consumed.  When I go fishing, though, WT101 is what’s in my flask.  In fact, for about 20+ years, nothing else has been in that flask, and I lost count of how many 750s passed brought it.  MORAL - One isn’t better than the other; it’s just “other”.

I am a big fan of OGD BIB though.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time with this (OGD114) on Friday evening with the intent of adding my two cents worth to this thread.  I rather enjoy the idea of a monthly bourbon that we sip on and speak our mind about during the month. 

Unfortunately, I'm the exception this month to the glowing reviews that it is receiving.  It's just not my jam.  While I can agree it is a quality spirit at a valued proof for an affordable price, I still want a whole host of other bourbons for around the same price as I can find it out in Bay Area, CA.  It's got a huge amount of cinnamon on the back end of the finish for me that I find to be a bit off-putting when consumed in consecutive pours.  I think this is either a one and done pour for me or a mixer.  I wouldn't discourage one from trying this though.  It's certainly got its place in a whiskey bar.

• I like it 1

Besides Knob Creek, OGD 114 and OGD BIB are the only Beam products i care for. Beam needs to do a limited edition of 114 aged for about 7 years or so at fair price. I think it would be a big seller and elevate the brand. Hipsters and Taters would wear the hinges off the local liquor stores.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.