BOTM 02/20 Old Grand Dad(s) 114

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Bourbon Sabbath said:

Beam needs to do a limited edition of 114 aged for about 7 years or so at fair price. I think it would be a big seller and elevate the brand. Hipsters and Taters would wear the hinges off the local liquor stores.

HEY!!!! Bourbon Sabbath!  Don't give 'em any ideas, eh??!!   They'll do enough damage on their own in my experience without any suggestions from any of us....   Maybe moot, unless B/S does what you suggest; ...but, still....

(I do hafta agree with you about the desirability of such a bottling, though! ...But, let's keep it between you and me and the fence post, eh?)

• I like it 1

I've got a bottle of the OGD114 in my Saturday afternoon Happy Hour rotation of high proof pours. I like it these days but I'm not in that I love it frame of mind yet. It's certainly priced well and I've never dumped it down the drain but I find that with anything at or over 110 proof, it's best just to slowly learn to appreciate what I like or dislike about the pour. Many of those bourbons get a lot easier to start swallowing rather than sipping after about 30-45 minutes.

2 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I've got a bottle of the OGD114 in my Saturday afternoon Happy Hour rotation of high proof pours. I like it these days but I'm not in that I love it frame of mind yet. It's certainly priced well and I've never dumped it down the drain but I find that with anything at or over 110 proof, it's best just to slowly learn to appreciate what I like or dislike about the pour. Many of those bourbons get a lot easier to start swallowing rather than sipping after about 30-45 minutes.

What are your thoughts on the BIB? As I've been side by siding them the past couple weeks I found myself preferring the BIB more and more.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

What are your thoughts on the BIB? As I've been side by siding them the past couple weeks I found myself preferring the BIB more and more.

I'm not one for taking notes on whiskey so my thoughts may be a little disjointed on the BiB. It took a while for me to warm up to the bottle. As it got more air time, I thought it improved but even at the bottom of the bottles I was always left with the thought that I still preferred WT101.  As a biased observer, I think the WT101 has more layers to its flavors as the pour goes down whereas the BiB is more monotone if you will. I don't mean to disqualify it because it is still a good, solid bourbon and an excellent value. My taste buds say pay the extra few dollars for the WT101. It is a regularly stocked item in my inventory. On the other hand, I'll be buying the BiB again because I like having a variety of bottles to prevent getting too overly familiar with one whiskey over others.

I haven't done a SBS with the 114 and BiB but it does sound like a pleasant way to spend a Happy Hour.

1 hour ago, Postal Grunt said:

As a biased observer, I think the WT101 has more layers to its flavors as the pour goes down whereas the BiB is more monotone if you will.

I totally agree on this. When I'm in the mood, I do really like that tone on the BIB.

OGD 114 and WTRB are my first and second choices for my cabinet (though not necessarily in any particular order). They are top of my list for affordable (and even not so affordable) bourbons.  I'll add EWsb and KCsb to this list and call it the four points of my bourbon compass.  No matter which direction I decide upon, its the right way to go!

Edited by Cornmuse
  • I like it 1

OGD was one of the first bourbons I ever tried. I also really like the 114, which was one of the first, if not the first, high proof bourbon I ever had. Sadly, this expression is very hard to get in Germany right now and at high prices. I still have a little left in a bottle I bought years ago, which I'll safe for a good occasion. The BIB seems to be more widely available, and I like it, too. It's certainly more mellow, without the edges, but still a very enjoyable bourbon. 

On this last day of OGD 114's time as BOTM, I thought those of you who find it too hot, too rough, too "simple", or just average might like to try the following in order to work off the rest of the bottle.  Last night, I didn't feel much like drinking.  I abstained until bedtime which usually includes a half hour or so of reading/iPad games before sleep.  I put two ounces of 114 in a large OF glass, dropped in three icemaker ice cubes (which I know from previous measurements is a little over two ounces of water), and let it sit while I got ready for bed.  Proof then was about 55 or a little less.

Cinnamon roll caramel dominated.  Finish was long and made me feel like I'd eaten an oven-warmed, home made cinnamon roll slathered in real, unsalted butter.

YMMV, but mine won't.  I shall repeat this tonight.

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

On this last day of OGD 114's time as BOTM, I thought those of you who find it too hot, too rough, too "simple", or just average might like to try the following in order to work off the rest of the bottle.  Last night, I didn't feel much like drinking.  I abstained until bedtime which usually includes a half hour or so of reading/iPad games before sleep.  I put two ounces of 114 in a large OF glass, dropped in three icemaker ice cubes (which I know from previous measurements is a little over two ounces of water), and let it sit while I got ready for bed.  Proof then was about 55 or a little less.

Cinnamon roll caramel dominated.  Finish was long and made me feel like I'd eaten an oven-warmed, home made cinnamon roll slathered in real, unsalted butter.

YMMV, but mine won't.  I shall repeat this tonight.

I have strong opinions on how you mistreated that poor OGD114... But more importantly, thanks to you here I am baking cinnamon rolls at 1am and I hate myself for that.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have strong opinions on how you mistreated that poor OGD114... But more importantly, thanks to you here I am baking cinnamon rolls at 1am and I hate myself for that.

LOLOLOLOL.

OGD114 with cinnamon roles sounds amazing. Let us know how it turns out! 

22 hours ago, flahute said:

LOLOLOLOL.

OGD114 with cinnamon roles sounds amazing. Let us know how it turns out! 

Just so you know - Wife bought a King's Cake at Trader Joe's this week.  It's basically a long cinnamon roll with yellow, green, and purple sugar sprinkled on it.  B'fast this AM (SUN 1 MAR 2020) was Niman Ranch bacon, almost sunny-side up fried eggs (when done, I flip the SSU over then IMMEDIATELY spatula-it out and serve as soon as it hits the plate then blot with a paper towel to take off excess bacon fat), grapefruit half with marachino cherry and a teaspoon of juice in the center and white bread toast to dip in the yolk.

What'd this have to do with OGD 114?  The 114 late SAT PM was the inspiration.  I was sipping on it SAT night, and since I do the Sunday b'fasts, I had an epiphany - "FRIED EGGS, BACON, TOAST, AND KING'S CAKE with REAL BUTTER PLUS GRAPEFRUIT WITH A CHERRY."  It was a killer breakfast.  We went BACK to bed.

After 44 years of marriage, I finally figured out which buttons to push.B)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Just so you know - Wife bought a King's Cake at Trader Joe's this week.  It's basically a long cinnamon roll with yellow, green, and purple sugar sprinkled on it.  B'fast this AM (SUN 1 MAR 2020) was Niman Ranch bacon, almost sunny-side up fried eggs (when done, I flip the SSU over then IMMEDIATELY spatula-it out and serve as soon as it hits the plate then blot with a paper towel to take off excess bacon fat), grapefruit half with marachino cherry and a teaspoon of juice in the center and white bread toast to dip in the yolk.

What'd this have to do with OGD 114?  The 114 late SAT PM was the inspiration.  I was sipping on it SAT night, and since I do the Sunday b'fasts, I had an epiphany - "FRIED EGGS, BACON, TOAST, AND KING'S CAKE with REAL BUTTER PLUS GRAPEFRUIT WITH A CHERRY."  It was a killer breakfast.  We went BACK to bed.

After 44 years of marriage, I finally figured out which buttons to push.B)

You are a true inspiration!

On 3/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

REAL BUTTER

We are on a bourbon forum and yet this might be some of the most American thing I've seen here :D

• I like it 1

OGD 114 is one of my go to pours.  I always have a few bottles in the bunker.  Higher rye so it does drink hotter than others but I like the spiciness.

• I like it 1

If there is an everyday Bourbon I like better than OGD114, I can't think of it at the moment. Oddly, I LOVE the OGD114 but can't stand the BIB. I find it thin, hot and overly tannic. I read somewhere (here I assume) that the 114 and Basil Hayden go into the barrel at a lower proof point than the standard and BIB versions. Maybe that is the difference. I stockpiled a few bottles when the "discontinued" scare hit a couple years ago, but recently opened my last one. 

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

• 9 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.