Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2020 is upon us, so what are we going to be mixing up this year?  A Vieux Carré this afternoon.

B913983A-AC27-41E8-8821-1C8017FD6E31.jpeg

In a tiki mood and with a limited bar so I had to go original:

Scant 2 oz Weller 107

1 1/2 oz white grapefruit juice

1/2 oz simple syrup

Generous 1/2 oz orgeat

Shake. Strain onto crushed ice.

Too sweet so dump the whole thing back in the shaker tin and add:

Generous 1/2 oz lemon juice

Shake.  Dump into a big glass.  Add a float of Angostura bitters.

Pretty good.  Let's call the result:

The Devil to Hand

IMG_4153.thumb.jpg.026a4941714267daa231a83c9d962cc5.jpg

-Mike

Edited by scratchline

I really need some more suggestions for bourbon cocktails but I tend to fall back on my fathers favorite (bourbon and ginger ale) or mine (old fashioneds.) This pic was before the simple syrup was done. I now have a pretty decent collection of bitters and LOVE all of them. They really round out the flavors of bourbon when paired well. 

Also, apologies for using Four Roses Small Batch for this but I was at the end of the bottle and hankering for opening something new to try. 

pre-fashioneds.jpg

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I really need some more suggestions for bourbon cocktails but I tend to fall back on my fathers favorite (bourbon and ginger ale) or mine (old fashioneds.) This pic was before the simple syrup was done. I now have a pretty decent collection of bitters and LOVE all of them. They really round out the flavors of bourbon when paired well. 

Also, apologies for using Four Roses Small Batch for this but I was at the end of the bottle and hankering for opening something new to try. 

pre-fashioneds.jpg

Why are you apologizing? 4RSmB is great for cocktails.

Have tried a Boulevardier yet? Vieux Carre'? Both are great.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I've had neither but will add them to the list to try. 

As for the 4RSmB, I guess my apologies are because I really like that as a straight sipper. I think I'm apologizing to myself because I need more but wanted a cocktail. :)

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

I really need some more suggestions for bourbon cocktails...

I am absolutely NOT a cocktail guy; but will pass on this advice I read many years ago from a mixologist of some repute...

Try making ANY cocktail recipe that calls for whiskey, rye, rum, scotch, Irish, or any other such . . . or even vodka (apparently not Gin, though) and just replace what's called for with Bourbon!

Sort of a cocktail question.....

Does anyone have a bottle they use to hold simple syrup that they really like? I’ve tried several glass bottles, plastic bottles, condiments bottles, etc. and they piss me off for one reason or another. I really like the tipped squeeze “condiment” bottles but the syrup leaks out around the edges of the screw cap.

5 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Does anyone have a bottle they use to hold simple syrup that they really like? 

Rich have you tried one like this? Easy to fill and pour and the cap seals well. Plus it look kind of cool. 79874532-DB0B-4DC4-8B4F-6153291DD495.thumb.jpeg.d4243041d405d9ab505bfca9950e8eaa.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I've had neither but will add them to the list to try. 

These aren’t true cocktails, but like you I have a large collection of various bitters. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I really enjoy combining different bourbons with different bitters. The combinations are pretty infinite. And I don’t miss the simple syrup. Try Old Forester 1920 and Woodford cherry bitters stirred on a big cube. Or Rebel Yell 100 ( or MMCS) and Aztec chocolate. Great after dinner sipper. 

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

These aren’t true cocktails, but like you I have a large collection of various bitters. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I really enjoy combining different bourbons with different bitters. The combinations are pretty infinite. And I don’t miss the simple syrup. Try Old Forester 1920 and Woodford cherry bitters stirred on a big cube. Or Rebel Yell 100 ( or MMCS) and Aztec chocolate. Great after dinner sipper. 

I do this exact same thing all the time. I usually use MM46

• I like it 1

Rich have you tried one like this? Easy to fill and pour and the cap seals well. Plus it look kind of cool. 79874532-DB0B-4DC4-8B4F-6153291DD495.thumb.jpeg.d4243041d405d9ab505bfca9950e8eaa.jpeg

I have but after several uses I find them to be annoying to really clean well.

Morning Glory

1 OZ bourbon/rye

1 OZ cognac/armagnac/brandy

1 tsp orange liqueur

1 dash absinthe/Herbsainte

drop or so of Angostura

simple syrup to taste

Mix together, put in an OF glass with ice and add club soda

lemon twist

This works with Rock and Rye - skip the simple syrup and substitute R&R for part or all the bourbon/rye.  OR skip the SS and add 1 OZ of R&R to the above.

We had this last night when trying to figure out how to use up (1) a half full Christmas-gifted bottle of Mr. Boston R&R short of pouring it out, (2) dregs of a 20 YO bottle of Hennessy VS to free up shelf space for a newer/superior replacement, (3) a 375 containing an orange liqueur "we" won't buy again.  SURPRISINGLY good with pistachios pre-dinner.  Nuts NOT in the drink BTW.

Supposedly, Jerry Thomas thought something like this up in the 1880s.  Dave Wondrich also wrote about its popularity in the 1920s-30s.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
375 not 735

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

Does anyone have a bottle they use to hold simple syrup that they really like? I’ve tried several glass bottles, plastic bottles, condiments bottles, etc. and they piss me off for one reason or another. I really like the tipped squeeze “condiment” bottles but the syrup leaks out around the edges of the screw cap.

If you like the concept of the squeeze condiment bottles, I’m  wondering if going to a higher end type might help on the seal on the screw  cap?  I’m sure there are better quality ones available at Cooks Warehouse or Sur La Table?  

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

Recently, my wife picked up a Master of Mixes simple syrup in a plastic squeeze bottle for use in cooking and cocktails.  SEE www.masterofmixes.com for an image under "products" - scroll down to the blue label.  It's sturdy enough to be top-rack dishwasher safe.  Its contents work for us so I stopped making SS.  Plus, as the scullery in our house, it is one less pot and fewer utensils (spoons, spatulas, funnel, bottle, bottle cap) I have to wash.   Or replace like that one time when a sugar ring, akin to a bathtub ring, somehow affixed itself inside the pot I was using.  EDIT - FOREVER affixed itself.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

1 part Fever Tree ginger beer, 2 parts OF 1920, 3 amaretto soaked Fabbri Amarena cherries, no bitters. 

I think this will be repeated many times.

3 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

1 part Fever Tree ginger beer, 2 parts OF 1920, 3 amaretto soaked Fabbri Amarena cherries, no bitters. 

I think this will be repeated many times.

Damn!! I'm not a cocktail kinda guy (too much work/I'm too lazy) but this sounds amazing

On 2/10/2020 at 12:15 AM, Skipper said:

I really need some more suggestions for bourbon cocktails

On 2/10/2020 at 1:49 AM, flahute said:

Hmm, I may have heard of one or two bourbon cocktails! Although for me at least a Vieux Carre is a rye (and cognac) cocktail. Boulevardier is a good place to start. Solid drink, easy to make and not too many new ingredients you have to buy. 

I like a Paper Plane and all its variations. Perhaps my favorite is this 3/4:3/4:3/4:3/4 version:

Bourbon (traditionally Elijah Craig back when it was still a 12yo but most any decent bourbon will do)

Campari (or Aperol which is a bit less bitter)

Ramazotti (replaces the traditional Amaro Nonino)

Lemon Juice (fresh of course!)

Shake, Strain and serve up!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hmm, I may have heard of one or two bourbon cocktails! Although for me at least a Vieux Carre is a rye (and cognac) cocktail. Boulevardier is a good place to start. Solid drink, easy to make and not too many new ingredients you have to buy. 

I like a Paper Plane and all its variations. Perhaps my favorite is this 3/4:3/4:3/4:3/4 version:

Bourbon (traditionally Elijah Craig back when it was still a 12yo but most any decent bourbon will do)

Campari (or Aperol which is a bit less bitter)

Ramazotti (replaces the traditional Amaro Nonino)

Lemon Juice (fresh of course!)

Shake, Strain and serve up!

As usual, you are my superior with cocktail knowledge so good reminder on the Vieux Carre.

The Paper Plane is an excellent choice!

Work has been a real bear the last few weeks.  Decided to go with a Sazerac as sort of relief from the grind.

IMG_20200215_154224587.jpg

• I like it 1

A little Negroni while catching a little Sun on this nice afternoon. Blood orange wedge really gives it a nice pop.  

C0C85906-8465-47FA-AB4C-C5BE7F35056F.jpeg

• I like it 3

A Wry Monk while listening to Braves Spring Training baseball on the radio.  Oh, what a great day!  

• I like it 1

Celebrating Mardi Gras with a Veaux Carre.  Loved this drink since trying it at the Carousel Bar in New Orleans.  They serve if in the rocks but I like it straight up.  

Also makes a nice "family" picture.

IMG_20200225_164759733.jpg

• I like it 1

Listening to some Braves on the radio with a cocktail presented here by fellow baseball guy and BOTY, Harry.  The Diamondback Lounge.  

FF26FA01-2FB3-4C82-BDA1-DFFED6187F7B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Felt lazy tonight and didn’t wanna mix my own.

This one is pretty good, and will mess you up real quick ?.

E15019A1-C3F9-4ECF-B81E-A6480EEF22BC.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.