Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a quiet afternoon with a Red Hook.  I've come to really enjoy these, especially with homemade maracscino cherries.

About to make my first Old Fashioned tonight, have Angostura bitters, Luxardo cherries, oranges, and simple syrup ready to go.  Any tips or particular order on this one?  To muddle or not to muddle?  

PS I read the Old Fashioned thread already, sorry for perhaps beating a dead horse.

Thanks,

18 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

About to make my first Old Fashioned tonight, have Angostura bitters, Luxardo cherries, oranges, and simple syrup ready to go.  Any tips or particular order on this one?  To muddle or not to muddle? 

Thanks,

My first advice is to leave out all the fruit; just use whisky, bitters, and sugar. But, if you want the fruit, don't muddle it.

• I like it 2

This is one of the oldest and most thorough examinations of the Old Fashioned on the web.  I'm happy to find that it's still available.  

http://www.drinkboy.com/Articles/Article.aspx?itemid=20

Start mixing!

Edited by scratchline

Agreed, thanks!

Here is what I used for my first Old Fashioned last night:

2 slices of mandarin orange muddled at bottom of the glass

Large ice cube placed on top

2 dashes Angostura bitters over ice cube

2 teaspoons of simple syrup over ice cube

1 teaspoon filtered water over ice cube

1.5 oz. Four Roses Yellow Label (I personally prefer them with rye but alas, all the LS are closed here in PA)

1 Luxardo cherry with 2 bar spoonfuls of the liqueur out of the jar mixed

Rimmed glass with twisted orange peel.  Serve.

Personally, I love the fruit, it's like a bonus for me at the bottom of the glass lol but I appreciate the different takes on this.

Hoping to make a Rum Old Fashioned tonight.

Thanks,

Mrssmokinjoe and I are sitting out back in the Sun.  She has applesauce ?...and I have a Negroni with a blood orange wheel. ? The Azaleas are starting to pop, and the white ones are particularly brilliant.  

6FA446DD-871E-4E03-92F2-9F73DF7982BA.jpeg

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Mrssmokinjoe and I are sitting out back in the Sun.  She has applesauce ?...and I have a Negroni with a blood orange wheel. ? The Azaleas are starting to pop, and the white ones are particularly brilliant.  

Fantastic! I'd join you as we're having a nice spring day here in the PNW but our yard guys started cleanup today and are making quite the racket with the leaf blowers out there right now.

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice! Cheers, Joe.

Sunday after lunch cocktail is another from Gary Regans’s revised  “The Joy of Mixology”.  

Twentieth-Century Cocktail

1.5 oz Gin

.75 oz Lillet Blonde

.75 oz white Creme de Cacao

.75 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

I continue to enjoy Regan’s book.  It’s so much more than just a book of cocktail recipes.  Each cocktail has a short story with info that may include the who/where/how the drink originated, how he heard about it, and an explanation on why it “works”.  This cocktail for instance, was from the “Cafe Royal Cocktail Book” (1937).  As he also points out the combo of ingredients, most notably the gin and the Chocolate is what makes it intriguing to start, and as he notes, The citrus juice acts as a foil for the sweet liqueur...”.   It all does work very well, and I see it becoming a regular this Spring.  

61229DDE-D403-4BA2-AC8D-F941585CC2A6.jpeg

On 3/21/2020 at 12:45 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Agreed, thanks!

Here is what I used for my first Old Fashioned last night:

2 slices of mandarin orange muddled at bottom of the glass

Large ice cube placed on top

2 dashes Angostura bitters over ice cube

2 teaspoons of simple syrup over ice cube

1 teaspoon filtered water over ice cube

1.5 oz. Four Roses Yellow Label (I personally prefer them with rye but alas, all the LS are closed here in PA)

1 Luxardo cherry with 2 bar spoonfuls of the liqueur out of the jar mixed

Rimmed glass with twisted orange peel.  Serve.

Personally, I love the fruit, it's like a bonus for me at the bottom of the glass lol but I appreciate the different takes on this.

Hoping to make a Rum Old Fashioned tonight.

Thanks,

Dude, your recipe is way off.

This didn't work at all.  Those smoky bitters ruined everything.  She must have inspired me.  Oh well, can't win them all.

IMG_4323.thumb.jpg.00eac4b81f6ad51906cbcda8899df5c8.jpg

2 hours ago, jcg9779 said:

Dude, your recipe is way off.

This made my day.  So I think that equals about 2 cocktails per each 750mL bottle of bourbon/rye, right?

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

This made my day.  So I think that equals about 2 cocktails per each 750mL bottle of bourbon/rye, right?

She said it was a pretty strong drink but, damn, I didn't expect her to top it off with JB.   

An oldie but a "baddie"!

Oh, and "liquidy"??? What the hell is that exactly?

?

Edited by tanstaafl2

52 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Old Fashioneds.jpg

Reminds me of a bad joke. ?

Biba! Joe 

On 3/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

An oldie but a "baddie"!

Oh, and "liquidy"??? What the hell is that exactly?

?

I don't know about you, Bruce, but I definitely like my Old Fashioneds liquidy.  Solid Old Fashioneds are so 2016.   I'll take liquidy all day in 2020!

Edited by jcg9779

CAUTION: Thread Drift (sort of?)...

Here's a challenge for you cocktail mixers (you know who you are ... Bruce):

Why hasn't somebody with all this time on his/her hands, and maybe ingredients not ordinarily considered, come up with THE Definitive new Cocktail for the time: The Quarantini?   Personally I have no idea what it would contain; but the possibilities abound.     A way to alleviate the isolation using some special properties?     Something with curative powers?     A commonly available ingredient nobody has included in past Martinis?   Easy to make at home without venturing to 'social gatherings'?      

Have at it you creative and thoughtful folx.   The world awaits your ideas.....

• I like it 1

Outstanding idea Rich! Being a lover of cocktails, I look forward to a Quarantini. However, a man has to know his limitations. I am a recipe follower, not an inventor. I will leave it to the experts, i.e. Bruce. And look forward to the results!

If a smokinmuthafuckinjoe is possible, The Quarintini should be easy.?

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

Dayum!  These Yeti rocks sized cups are awesome.  A sunny 84 today, and my Negroni isn’t fading a bit.  Last of my blood oranges, so putting them to good use.  

29B4DE95-3C43-4C9D-922A-327E2F747A3C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Rye Monk going very well with the smell of a pork butt wafting up from the smoker.   ?

0D79172A-2EC2-4E45-9D62-07E497D12C4A.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 3/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, smokinjoe said:

Sunday after lunch cocktail is another from Gary Regans’s revised  “The Joy of Mixology”.  

Twentieth-Century Cocktail

1.5 oz Gin

.75 oz Lillet Blonde

.75 oz white Creme de Cacao

.75 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

I continue to enjoy Regan’s book.  It’s so much more than just a book of cocktail recipes.  Each cocktail has a short story with info that may include the who/where/how the drink originated, how he heard about it, and an explanation on why it “works”.  This cocktail for instance, was from the “Cafe Royal Cocktail Book” (1937).  As he also points out the combo of ingredients, most notably the gin and the Chocolate is what makes it intriguing to start, and as he notes, The citrus juice acts as a foil for the sweet liqueur...”.   It all does work very well, and I see it becoming a regular this Spring.  

61229DDE-D403-4BA2-AC8D-F941585CC2A6.jpeg

I love this book Joe (it was an Ebay buy many years ago), for the reasons you have stated. However, it is the original, not the revised, updated version. Do know what the difference is between the two?

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I love this book Joe (it was an Ebay buy many years ago), for the reasons you have stated. However, it is the original, not the revised, updated version. Do know what the difference is between the two?

[Horning in here.]  I have the original 2003 edition purchased circa 2004.  When I heard about the revised edition, I did visually flip through it and decided to pass.  The publisher's blurb on Amazon below describes what I saw.  I already had a dozen or so "how to" and recipe books including J. Morgenthaler's Bar Book and Jim Meehan's PDT and Manual as well as a 1970's hardcover Playboy cocktail book (pictures of drinks only).  If I were starting from scratch for recipes AND "how to", this new edition would be fine, but I really didn't need a second book by Mr. Regan as the technique parts hadn't changed much, and newer recipes are found everywhere including on SB.  Plus we lived the Wash DC cocktail boom in the early 2000s as newly retired annuitants with lots of spare time.  But, that's just me.

It's a nice book, though, and one we've given to much younger relatives who showed an interest in cocktails.

QUOTING -

Gary Regan, the "most-read cocktail expert around" (Imbibe), has revised his original tome for the 15th anniversary with new material: many more cocktail recipes--including smart revisions to the originals--and fascinating information on the drink making revival that has popped up in the past decade, confirming once again that this is the only cocktail reference you need.

A prolific writer on all things cocktails, Gary Regan and his books have been a huge influence on mixologists and bartenders in America. This brand-new edition fills in the gaps since the book first published, incorporating Regan's special insight on the cocktail revolution from 2000 to the present and a complete overhaul of the recipe section. With Regan's renowned system for categorizing drinks helps bartenders not only to remember drink recipes but also to invent their own, The Joy of Mixology, Revised and Updated Edition is the original drinks book for both professionals and amateurs alike. [END QUOTE]

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.