Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

No ponies today, but the Blue Angels are supposed to be buzzing over in a few minutes.  So I have something fast to watch with my MintJulep.

26D787D0-961E-4230-A0ED-114BF91D27BA.jpeg

Picked up some mint this afternoon and will be making some Juleps after dinner (BBQ!)

On 5/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, smokinjoe said:

Darn.  I only heard them, but luckily my buddy was more in the flight path.

OK, they sounded fast...  ?

F4E2871E-A983-44BB-BA95-C869F5964058.jpeg

Several years ago, I was in Cleveland.  We got to see them do their thing over Lake Erie - impressive.

I honestly can't remember ever having had this whiskey.  I've had the HH 7 yr bond and others, but this is very good!  And outstanding in a Manhattan.  Extending lockdown in style.

IMG_4624.thumb.jpg.9d29ec10b5bd0a664d15cffbf81189cd.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 3

Came across this great expose on the classic gin and tonic. It talks about the history of the drink, includes a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and if you read all the way to the bottom includes some variations on the drink from Mexico and Paris.

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/drinks/how-to-make-the-perfect-gin-and-tonic?amp

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

this cocktail got better and better. That’s probably always the case! By the end of it I was looking to make another one. I went 1.5:1:1. Next one I’ll probably use 2 ounces of whiskey.

D0FFAB54-315C-4D51-A7F1-50C16BB238D2.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, MM818 said:

this cocktail got better and better. That’s probably always the case! By the end of it I was looking to make another one. I went 1.5:1:1. Next one I’ll probably use 2 ounces of whiskey.

Boulevardier (or Old Pal) is always a great choice.

18 hours ago, MM818 said:

I'm also a 2:1:1 guy with those. I may have after I mow in a bit. 

Early Times BIB, sweet vermouth, chocolate bitters and raspberry and candied orange peel garnish.  Being holed up in the house isn't to bad after all!

0421201841-1.jpg

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Boulevardier (or Old Pal) is always a great choice.

Definitely an Old Pal with rye. The Boulevardier is classically bourbon.

Reminds me of a book I have been rereading called Boozehound by Jason Wilson. When the book came out 10 years ago a Negroni was barely known outside of a few very advanced cocktail bars, much less a Boulevardier or an Old Pal. Now they are commonplace and the book reads like an historical reference text! But for me still worth a read.

My how times have changed.

77333A1D-2EB1-4B5F-BF58-A574C4D407C2.jpeg.a83dbde4619280b610fd331f3ac3ab87.jpeg9814CCE6-9B9D-428F-AF4D-DBEC072EFECF.jpeg.6fafdb15d4c39cb1363b1b9a25ebc805.jpeg

• I like it 1

Manhattan a la Minott Kerr:  2 oz rye, 1 oz Punt e Mes, 1/4 oz maraschino, 2 dashes Ango, 1 dash orange bitters, 1 dash cinnamon bitters, cherry.  I like this recipe.  

IMG_4664.thumb.jpg.02141eefe8953c32b06cac3f6de5aa39.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

Manhattan a la Minott Kerr:  2 oz rye, 1 oz Punt e Mes, 1/4 oz maraschino, 2 dashes Ango, 1 dash orange bitters, 1 dash cinnamon bitters, cherry.  I like this recipe.  

cIMG_4664.thumb.jpg.02141eefe8953c32b06cac3f6de5aa39.jpg

Round two.  This is even better with Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye.  But then what isn't?

• I like it 2

I have a friend who owns a liquor store (the one I do all the barrel picks with) who is known for the things he does for the community and the way he fairly releases LE's.

He's stepped it up during the coronavirus times, first by taking everclear off his shelves to make hand sanitizer that he gave out for free and then by getting hand sanitizer from a local distillery to distribute.

Today was a day off for him and his wife wanted a Mai Tai. So he decides to make a big batch and proceeds to drive around delivering them to friends. So at 5pm I get a knock on the door and see his SUV in the driveway with the back open and him assembling Mai Tais for me and my wife. Hilarious! And delicious.

I sat back down at the dining room table to finish my work day and downed that drink way too fast. I was buzzed by 5:15. Such a rookie move.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

I have a friend who owns a liquor store (the one I do all the barrel picks with) who is known for the things he does for the community and the way he fairly releases LE's.

He's stepped it up during the coronavirus times, first by taking everclear off his shelves to make hand sanitizer that he gave out for free and then by getting hand sanitizer from a local distillery to distribute.

Today was a day off for him and his wife wanted a Mai Tai. So he decides to make a big batch and proceeds to drive around delivering them to friends. So at 5pm I get a knock on the door and see his SUV in the driveway with the back open and him assembling Mai Tais for me and my wife. Hilarious! And delicious.

I sat back down at the dining room table to finish my work day and downed that drink way too fast. I was buzzed by 5:15. Such a rookie move.

Sweet!  Good all around, bro.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Sweet!  Good all around, bro.

I dunno. What was he using to make this mobile Mai Tai??? A pandemic is certainly no justification to let Cocktail standards slip! ??

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I dunno. What was he using to make this mobile Mai Tai??? A pandemic is certainly no justification to let Cocktail standards slip! ??

Lol! I didn't ask but it sure did taste good. Hence it going down way too fast! I will now ask since the cocktail master has inquired!

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

All right, here's the recipe:

1 part white rum (Mt. Gay)

1 part orange/pineapple juice

1/2 part Cointreau

1/4 part Orgeat

1/2 part lime juice

Shaken, poured over ice.

Floats of dark rum and grenadine.

• I like it 2

I need this 3 day weekend about as bad as Covid needs it’s ass kicked. Mrssmokinjoe and I out back splitting a Bensonhurst with some Sunshine.  

7D5A7A3B-88C3-4F73-A383-BF66EC4F9E33.jpeg

• I like it 4

Mojito time. Picked some fresh mint yesterday. Also added some Dekuypers Mint liqueur.

20200523_191635_copy_784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Mojito time. Picked some fresh mint yesterday. Also added some Dekuypers Mint liqueur.

20200523_191635_copy_784x1613.jpg

I was just thinking of that this afternoon.  Picked up some limes earlier for a try tomorrow.  Interesting idea on the mint liqueur.  How much do you put in?

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I was just thinking of that this afternoon.  Picked up some limes earlier for a try tomorrow.  Interesting idea on the mint liqueur.  How much do you put in?

I add 1oz. and either 1.5 or 2oz of rum along with a sugar cube, mint leaves, half a lime, and top with club soda. The sugar cube helps in the muddling process.  The mint liquer ups the mint flavor a bit as sometimes it's hard to really get the oils out of the leaves for a heavy mint dose (which I like). It also ups the booze ratio a bit as well (which I also like!). A local had a closeout on the mint liquer a few years ago so I grabbed 2 or 3 bottles. Comes in handy for mojitos, juleps, and mint sauces.

27 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I add 1oz. and either 1.5 or 2oz of rum along with a sugar cube, mint leaves, half a lime, and top with club soda. The sugar cube helps in the muddling process.  The mint liquer ups the mint flavor a bit as sometimes it's hard to really get the oils out of the leaves for a heavy mint dose (which I like). It also ups the booze ratio a bit as well (which I also like!). A local had a closeout on the mint liquer a few years ago so I grabbed 2 or 3 bottles. Comes in handy for mojitos, juleps, and mint sauces.

Thanks!  That sounds good.  I’ll give it a go.  ??

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Have to use some care because the mint liqueur is also upping your sugar content. If you aren’t getting enough mint clearly you aren’t “spanking” your mint enough first! I also use care when muddling because if you get too aggressive it can bring out some bitterness from the mint.

Edited by tanstaafl2

On 5/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, flahute said:

All right, here's the recipe:

1 part white rum (Mt. Gay)

1 part orange/pineapple juice

1/2 part Cointreau

1/4 part Orgeat

1/2 part lime juice

Shaken, poured over ice.

Floats of dark rum and grenadine.

Ah! Well, it’s the thought that counts right? ?

On 5/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, smokinjoe said:

I need this 3 day weekend about as bad as Covid needs it’s ass kicked. Mrssmokinjoe and I out back splitting a Bensonhurst with some Sunshine.  

7D5A7A3B-88C3-4F73-A383-BF66EC4F9E33.jpeg

Look at you getting all fancy with the Amaro in your Manhattan riff!

I don’t think I’ve ever posted in the cocktail thread? Anyway, I love a good old fashioned. But, I also love peaches, and several years back I had decided I wanted to figure out a cocktail that incorporated a peach. For whatever reason, what I had decided was to make an old fashioned, but to substitute a slice of fresh peach for the orange slice, and peach bitters instead of Angostura. Behold the “Old Georgia” as I named the variation. I had a neighborhood friend over for several Old Georgia’s tonight for he, the wife, myself. This drink has been quite popular with everyone that has tried it this far.

cheers 

BF040EEF-5DCE-41F9-BB96-8313B3C29637.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.