Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, smokinjoe said:

Something about a sunny and low 80’s afternoon just screams for a Negroni.  I enjoy adjusting the amounts of the gin, Campari, and Vermouth.  Today, 2/1.5/.75. Perhaps, the Campari may be dominating the Vermouth a bit too much this time, but still very nice.  

That Negroni picture did it.  A mezcal negroni.  Like Joe said, because the weather.  Even parts.  Enjoy in full sun.

IMG_4753.thumb.jpg.d6871c8bf5cbb6b81ae99df44f871f9a.jpg

3 hours ago, scratchline said:

That Negroni picture did it.  A mezcal negroni.  Like Joe said, because the weather.  Even parts.  Enjoy in full sun.

IMG_4753.thumb.jpg.d6871c8bf5cbb6b81ae99df44f871f9a.jpg

Mezcal Negroni's (typically called a Oaxacan Negroni) I have had (and like) are typically made with a bit more mezcal than a standard gin negroni although the classic 1:1:1 ratio is also still used. Even as much as 2:1:1. But that is a matter of taste! And of course even with gin the classic 1:1:1 ratio is just a starting point. I also like a Kingston Negroni. Smith & Cross works well in that.

The Spinto Bitter Rosso is an interesting variation. Don't think I have had that! Then again I also don't typically use Campari, prefering the "Ticonpari" used by one of my favorite bars instead. It is a blend of 50% Leopold Bros. Aperitivo and Gran Classico. Less sweet than Campari which also has an artificial taste to it to me.

Clearly not enough bugs... 

Edited by tanstaafl2

I was recently given a bottle of mezcal. So went to work finding a cocktail recipe. 2 parts Tequila, 1 part mezcal, 1 part Cointreau, and 1 part lime juice. Shaken w a sliced jalapeño. Garnished w lime and slice of fresh jalapeño. Delicious.

3662D23D-89D5-4380-9B92-702386361FFD.jpeg

It's getting dark here.  The Sazerac is ready for when the rain arrives.

IMG_20200605_162425512.jpg

• I like it 1

All the recent Mezcal talk on the forum impelled me to go buy my first bottle of it (Del Maguey Vida). Then searched out a cocktail recipe, which I decided to go with.  Which in turn, forced me to also buy a bottle of yellow Chartreuse, because it seems the green Chartreuse I have is the wrong one.  (Luckily, had a bit of Aperol left as well as a lime to keep this drink not too far north of $100...So, it’s a Naked & Famous on the front porch swing.  Nice on a warm afternoon.  The smokiness from the DMV is a wonderful surprise as it blooms through the tanginess of the lime as I sip of this drink.  Very enjoyable.  But, I shall rename it the Naked & Famous & Poor...  ?

3A5D8090-24F1-430D-9256-BA6B0CD27DAA.jpeg

4DB63E0F-F826-44D1-BA02-4189DFF68710.jpeg

• I like it 5

Another dip in the Mezcal pool.  Similar, but different to yesterday’s cocktail.  Today is the  “Division Bell”:

1 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

3/4 oz Aperol

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)

Basically, it switches out the Yellow  Chartreuse with Maraschino Liqueur.  The result is a bit more sweetness working through the sour.  Mrssmokinjoe likes this better, though I think overall the N&F is better suited to me.  Both are nice and refreshing on a warm day, though.  

9993296F-8CB8-4471-86CF-CC871022BBCC.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Another dip in the Mezcal pool.  Similar, but different to yesterday’s cocktail.  Today is the  “Division Bell”:

1 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

3/4 oz Aperol

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)

Basically, it switches out the Yellow  Chartreuse with Maraschino Liqueur.  The result is a bit more sweetness working through the sour.  Mrssmokinjoe likes this better, though I think overall the N&F is better suited to me.  Both are nice and refreshing on a warm day, though.  

"Give me what he's having."  Different mezcal (Gracias a Dios) and on the rocks with a mint garnish but I followed the recipe exactly.  Delicious.  Thanks for the suggestion, Joe!

This comes together with a very grapefruity vibe.  It reminds me very much of a Pegu cocktail and the namesake NYC bar that won't be coming back.  

IMG_4789.thumb.jpg.24d4f4d171869dd2da53a41f635cb052.jpg

Edited by scratchline

31 minutes ago, scratchline said:

"Give me what he's having."  Different mezcal (Gracias a Dios) and on the rocks with a mint garnish but I followed the recipe exactly.  Delicious.  Thanks for the suggestion, Joe!

This comes together with a very grapefruity vibe.  It reminds me very much of a Pegu cocktail and the namesake NYC bar that won't be coming back.  

IMG_4789.thumb.jpg.24d4f4d171869dd2da53a41f635cb052.jpg

This is so cool, Mike.  I got this recipe from TANSTAAFL2 and he says that the recipe that he got it from has this with a grapefruit twist garnish!  But, he didn’t have grapefruit (nor did I) so went with lime.  You nailed the connection!  Cheers!

On 6/6/2020 at 11:48 AM, smokinjoe said:

All the recent Mezcal talk on the forum impelled me to go buy my first bottle of it (Del Maguey Vida). Then searched out a cocktail recipe, which I decided to go with.  Which in turn, forced me to also buy a bottle of yellow Chartreuse, because it seems the green Chartreuse I have is the wrong one.  (Luckily, had a bit of Aperol left as well as a lime to keep this drink not too far north of $100...So, it’s a Naked & Famous on the front porch swing.  Nice on a warm afternoon.  The smokiness from the DMV is a wonderful surprise as it blooms through the tanginess of the lime as I sip of this drink.  Very enjoyable.  But, I shall rename it the Naked & Famous & Poor...  ?

3A5D8090-24F1-430D-9256-BA6B0CD27DAA.jpeg

4DB63E0F-F826-44D1-BA02-4189DFF68710.jpeg

Damnit. In typical fashion you influence my purchases. Now I need to go out and buy some mezcal. I will pick it up when I'm my Bruce influenced mai tai ingredient trip.

46 minutes ago, flahute said:

Damnit. In typical fashion you influence my purchases. Now I need to go out and buy some mezcal. I will pick it up when I'm my Bruce influenced mai tai ingredient trip.

Watch out Steve!! Your brother is a sinister and devious master of manipulation in getting people to piss away their hard earned money. You must resist his hypnotic charm ??

I can only hope and pray it's not too late.........

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Watch out Steve!! Your brother is a sinister and devious master of manipulation in getting people to piss away their hard earned money. You must resist his hypnotic charm ??

I can only hope and pray it's not too late.........

Well, if Bruce is going to succeed in getting me to piss away all of my money and household storage space on a bunker full of cocktail components, I’m taking somebody with me!!  ?.  

• I like it 4

On 6/7/2020 at 10:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

Well, if Bruce is going to succeed in getting me to piss away all of my money and household storage space on a bunker full of cocktail components, I’m taking somebody with me!!  ?.  

As well you should! That's what I did...

• I like it 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

That's something I understand and can appreciate!!

On 6/7/2020 at 10:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

Not following the two of you into gift shops this April has me way under whiskey budget for the year.  I need to stay out of this damn thread if I'm going to keep that streak alive.  I'm already a Campari and Gin in based on your Negroni pics.

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

Not following the two of you into gift shops this April has me way under whiskey budget for the year.  I need to stay out of this damn thread if I'm going to keep that streak alive.  I'm already a Campari and Gin in based on your Negroni pics.

Ha!  I go 58 years neither hearing of, nor needing a bottle of Averna.  I’ve now replaced my first bottle inside 4 months...?

20 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ha!  I go 58 years neither hearing of, nor needing a bottle of Averna.  I’ve now replaced my first bottle inside 4 months...?

Um, after consuming far too many beef ravioli and then finishing my wife’s lasagna at an old line Italian restaurant near our house (walking distance even for old fahts!), waiter we’ve known for a couple years comped me a neat Averna when I was unable to stand due to pasta overdose.  “It’ll solve your problem.”  I now know why they are also called digestifs.  It did.  I am never without it now.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Um, after consuming far too many beef ravioli and then finishing my wife’s lasagna at an old line Italian restaurant near our house (walking distance even for old fahts!), waiter we’ve known for a couple years comped me a neat Averna when I was unable to stand due to pasta overdose.  “It’ll solve your problem.”  I now know why they are also called digestifs.  It did.  I am never without it now.

FINALLY! I already have something that y'all are talking about so I don't have to go out and shop.

• I like it 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Drifting towards a favorite of mine, lack of Campari being a major difference, that has shown up in past sampler cocktail menus. Alas, not this year it would seem.

The Arbitrary Nature of Time

1 1/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
1 ds Regans' orange bitters
2 ds Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, rock, twist.

I gave this my best shot! The cherry liquor had been staring at me from the shelf of the liquor store. Last one they had so I figured, why not? Don’t have the mole bitters. At first I was concerned about the balance. But the ice melt evened out the Campari. This is an excellent drink. 

56B70820-D179-44C5-B8CB-A532907A9787.jpeg

• I like it 1

Apparently today is national gin day, so I went with a Negroni.  I have to dial back the Campari just so I can taste the gin.  

Cheers!

IMG_20200613_152232138.jpg

I am having a ball with the Mezcal in cocktails.  Take a cocktail, sub Mezcal for the primary spirit ingredient, and prepare for a turn-you-on-your-head experience.  Followed Scratchline’s recent Negroni made with Mezcal in place of gin, and it is fabulous!   

03B6871A-845B-4662-997D-4CBE99B458E2.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I am having a ball with the Mezcal in cocktails.  Take a cocktail, sub Mezcal for the primary spirit ingredient, and prepare for a turn-you-on-your-head experience.  Followed Scratchline’s recent Negroni made with Mezcal in place of gin, and it is fabulous!   

Back with the Oaxaca Negroni for my wife and the final copita for me.  The is a tepeztate by mezcalera Reina Sanchez.  Incredible complexity with a lot of salinity.   I agree with Joe.  Mezcal's a great sub in a lot of classic cocktails.  I did a mezcal margarita for my mom last night and she loved it.  Dixeebe!

IMG_4875.thumb.jpg.1c675458994effbe6216eadb7cb6f4e3.jpg

So far behind the cocktail curve - bought my first bottle of Campari this morning (as well as dry vermouth).  Tried a Boulevardier (equal parts bourbon, sweet vermouth & Campari) and wasn't right in my wheelhouse.  Opted to try an Old Pal (1.5 oz rye, 3/4 oz Campari & 3/4 oz dry vermouth) which I'm liking better (although could be simply from having enough before it that everything tastes good now!) :lol:  Now have to pick up a bottle of gin to try this whole Negroni thing out (or . . . continue to chip away at the bunker of whiskey neat . . . which doesn't sound like a horrible plan!)

31 minutes ago, GaryT said:

So far behind the cocktail curve - bought my first bottle of Campari this morning (as well as dry vermouth).  Tried a Boulevardier (equal parts bourbon, sweet vermouth & Campari) and wasn't right in my wheelhouse.  Opted to try an Old Pal (1.5 oz rye, 3/4 oz Campari & 3/4 oz dry vermouth) which I'm liking better (although could be simply from having enough before it that everything tastes good now!) :lol:  Now have to pick up a bottle of gin to try this whole Negroni thing out (or . . . continue to chip away at the bunker of whiskey neat . . . which doesn't sound like a horrible plan!)

You have started down a slippery slope.  A very tasty one but slippery nonetheless.  I enjoy trying new cocktails but all the ingredients can be a little overwhelming, and I'm sure I don't have as quite a collection as some on here.  Enjoy the ride.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.