Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

45 minutes ago, GaryT said:

So far behind the cocktail curve - bought my first bottle of Campari this morning (as well as dry vermouth).  Tried a Boulevardier (equal parts bourbon, sweet vermouth & Campari) and wasn't right in my wheelhouse.  Opted to try an Old Pal (1.5 oz rye, 3/4 oz Campari & 3/4 oz dry vermouth) which I'm liking better (although could be simply from having enough before it that everything tastes good now!) :lol:  Now have to pick up a bottle of gin to try this whole Negroni thing out (or . . . continue to chip away at the bunker of whiskey neat . . . which doesn't sound like a horrible plan!)

Poor, poor Gary.   Little chance for you now, I fear.   What's that writing I see above your picture, slowly becoming legible?  'Abandon hope all ye who enter here'   Yup.   Just as I feared.

• I like it 2

Blood & Sand. Equal parts: blended scotch, heering, sweet vermouth, and orange juice. I used an ounce. Stellar! 

07036BEE-443F-4F43-A661-E85254D45F94.jpeg

5 hours ago, GaryT said:

So far behind the cocktail curve - bought my first bottle of Campari this morning (as well as dry vermouth).  Tried a Boulevardier (equal parts bourbon, sweet vermouth & Campari) and wasn't right in my wheelhouse.  Opted to try an Old Pal (1.5 oz rye, 3/4 oz Campari & 3/4 oz dry vermouth) which I'm liking better (although could be simply from having enough before it that everything tastes good now!) :lol:  Now have to pick up a bottle of gin to try this whole Negroni thing out (or . . . continue to chip away at the bunker of whiskey neat . . . which doesn't sound like a horrible plan!)

Try substituting Dolin Blanc vermouth for the dry vermouth in both your Old Pal and Boulevardier. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Try substituting Dolin Blanc vermouth for the dry vermouth in both your Old Pal and Boulevardier. 

Thanks Steve - I'll do that!  Although reminding myself Sunday nights are NOT the best night for cocktails (at least when Monday is a work day).  

On 6/14/2020 at 10:01 PM, MM818 said:

Blood & Sand. Equal parts: blended scotch, heering, sweet vermouth, and orange juice. I used an ounce. Stellar! 

07036BEE-443F-4F43-A661-E85254D45F94.jpeg

I tend not to like drinks with orange juice as a major ingredient, including the “classic” Blood and Sand, as I find it really hard to balance (unless maybe it’s a sour orange like a Seville).

But I do like this very broad spirit forward cocktail riff on the Blood and Sand.

Ichor and Glass 
1 oz CB Great King Street Glasgow blend
3/4 oz CB Orangerie (an orange infused scotch)
3/4  Cherry Heering
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/4 oz dry curaçao (the Pierre Ferrand 
dry curaçao Works great here!)

Stir and strain into old fashion glass with large ice cube. Express and discard lemon and orange peel.

The tough one for most people will be the CB Orangrie. You could make your own orange infused scotch but that seems like a pain even to me! Plus I still have some Orangrie available. Clement Creole Shrubb might work instead. I might have to play with it some!

And speaking of Mezcal (we were right?)  it works very well as a substitute for the peated scotch in either recipe. In fact I rather prefer it! After all the name comes from bull fighting so why wouldn’t you want Mezcal rather than Scotch here?

On 6/15/2020 at 1:53 AM, flahute said:

That made a huge difference in the Boulevardier!!  Can't wait to try that in an Old Pal tomorrow.  Thanks chief!

19 minutes ago, GaryT said:

That made a huge difference in the Boulevardier!!  Can't wait to try that in an Old Pal tomorrow.  Thanks chief!

Nice!!! Glad you like it. 
I like them both ways so it’s a matter of mood for me but the Blanc really sings in that drink. 

I love fresh horseradish in my bloody marys, which I almost always have one on Sunday mornings. So once, maybe twice a year,  I make a batch of horseradish. I get it from a friend who has quite the large garden. Peel the brown skin away, cut into small chunks, and then run it through the food processor. Jar it up with some salt and vinegar and its good to go. It also goes great in a shrimp cocktail sauce. I do equal parts ketchup and horseradish, which is pretty hot. You will be a rock star at the party you take it to.spacer.png

20200620_125549.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 2

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Nice!!! Glad you like it. 
I like them both ways so it’s a matter of mood for me but the Blanc really sings in that drink. 

Certainly an interesting variation although the Old Pal in particular is intended to be a relatively dry and bitter Negroni riff and using a blanc changes it pretty significantly. Maybe it should be called a “New Pal”!

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

I love fresh horseradish in my bloody marys, which I almost always have one on Sunday mornings. So once, maybe twice a year,  I make a batch of horseradish. I get it from a friend who has quite the large garden. Peel the brown skin away, cut into small chunks, and then run it through the food processor. Jar it up with some salt and vinegar and its good to go. It also goes great in a shrimp cocktail sauce. I do equal parts ketchup and horseradish, which is pretty hot. You will be a rock star at the party you take it to.spacer.png

If you add a little bit of lemon juice (maybe a teaspoonful or two) into the mix for an average serving of shrimp cocktail (a cup or so...I like lotsa cocktail sauce!), it'll awaken even more flavor in all the other elements, including the shrimp.    At least for my taste buddies it does.   Give it a try.... or don't; your call.

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

If you add a little bit of lemon juice (maybe a teaspoonful or two) into the mix for an average serving of shrimp cocktail (a cup or so...I like lotsa cocktail sauce!), it'll awaken even more flavor in all the other elements, including the shrimp.    At least for my taste buddies it does.   Give it a try.... or don't; your call.

I actually do that Rich. Along with some Worcestershire. I just didn't include the whole recipe in my post. Dang it, I knew I should have!

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Certainly an interesting variation although the Old Pal in particular is intended to be a relatively dry and bitter Negroni riff and using a blanc changes it pretty significantly. Maybe it should be called a “New Pal”!

I like it! That’s the new name from now on.

Sitting out back with Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe and enjoying a Boulevardier in a Father’s Day present Atlanta Braves /SunTrust Park rocks glass.  

2CFA8056-9072-404E-8AD6-EE45AD7DE02D.jpeg

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sitting out back with Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe and enjoying a Boulevardier in a Father’s Day present Atlanta Braves /SunTrust Park rocks glass.  

Damn good day right there. 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:22 PM, smokinjoe said:

Saw those glasses on Uncommon Goods and thought about you! Apparently from what I have read they are not dishwasher safe no matter what it claims.

IMG_4943.thumb.jpg.caea8ab709269272955ed39b3e6edab2.jpg

This is my second one of these KC Manhattans.  Without bitters so added a little Punt e Mes to the first.  The second I just went without.  I have to shout out these 120 proof single barrels for summer mixed drinks.  They take melting ice beautifully and encourage slow thoughtful drinking.   This label is definitely my find of the summer.  This is the fourth different barrel I have open on my bar right now.  I'm late to the party but I'm making up for lost time.

Black Manhattans for Mrssmokinjoe and I after our last day at the beach.  

02A81F46-6582-49B8-8363-8378EFBC3F3F.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Black Manhattans for Mrssmokinjoe and I after our last day at the beach.  

02A81F46-6582-49B8-8363-8378EFBC3F3F.jpeg

Damn my brother........so loving these oceanside photos. Wish I was there!

39 minutes ago, flahute said:

Damn my brother........so loving these oceanside photos. Wish I was there!

I'd bet that Mrssmokinjoe is glad you're not. :D

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I'd bet that Mrssmokinjoe is glad you're not. :D

Or maybe she would happy to have Steve there to keep Joe busy!

Edited by BigRich

My go-to while laying out at the beach at Sandestin is an Absolut Citron and Soda.  No beach today, just my back yard, but enjoying the same this warm afternoon.  Using Dasani lime soda instead of plain soda to give it a bit more refreshedicity (yeah, that’s my word... ?)

CCA2185B-16C9-460B-9449-833986F897CA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Wife made mint juleps today with fresh mint from our “garden”.

I supplied the Baker’s bourbon and she did the rest.

Artsy pic just for fun...

B4E700B2-017D-4060-BC6D-0845DA6709D7.jpeg

• I like it 2

Not sure if this one has a name but Mrs. Two fingers calls it a Cherry Old Fashioned.  Nice in a hot day.

2 oz Rye

3/4 oz Cherry Heering

1/2 oz simple syrup

2 dashes Angostura

Orange or lemon peel garnish

Homemade Luxardo cherry (just because)

IMG_20200710_163543659.jpg

• I like it 2

Sounds and looks delicious!

Do you give out your recipe for the Luxardo Cherries?

1 hour ago, River Hills said:

Sounds and looks delicious!

Do you give out your recipe for the Luxardo Cherries?

Sure, happy to share.

1 lb pitted and stemmed cherries

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

1 cinnamon stick

1 pinch nutmeg

1 cup Luxardo

Bring sugar, water, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg to boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes until sugar dissolves.  Add Luxardo and cherries and cook gently for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Store in a a tightly sealed jar.

I use mason jars but you should probably keep this in the fridge, I am not an expert on canning and make no claims on how long it would last.  I have kept mine in the fridge for a couple months but they are usually gone within that time anyway.  I also don't keep the cinnamon stick in the jars, these can have a pretty strong cinnamon flavor and keeping the stick in the jar only intensifies that.  You can always omit the cinnamon if you aren't looking for that flavor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.