Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mint juleps on the deck. 

"Sip it and dream.  You cannot dream amiss.  Sip it and dream.  It is a dream itself.  No other land gives such sweet solace for your cares.  No other liquor soothes you so in melancholy days.  Sip it and say, 'There is no solace for the soul, no tonic for the body, like old bourbon whiskey'."

IMG_5173.thumb.jpg.f49435f6e6e7b1ddd2683bf29bcc2309.jpg

• I like it 1

Tried an Old Fashioned with Peat Monster, and think I just found the future for the rest of this bottle.  Delicious balance of earthy sweet goodness!

Grapefruit Margarita

2 OZ white tequila (I use Sauza Hornitos Plata)

2 OZ ruby red grapefruit juice (fresh OR something like Del Monte Ruby Red Grapefruit cocktail which I prefer)

1/2 OZ triple sec/orange liqueur (I used Solerno Blood Orange but usually use Luxardo Triplum)

juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 TBS, but since lime overwhelms, I usually use 1/2 TBS)

Some grenadine syrup for color and sugar to look and taste.

EITHER blend this with some ice to make a "freeze" OR mix and then put enough cubes in a sandwich bag and whack them enough to loosely fill a regular (NOT DOUBLE) Old Fashioned glass. 

Put whichever combo - blender OR mixture and crushed cubes - in the glass.

Add a lime slice.

Do NOT drink all at once.  You'll get a brain freeze.

Absolutely great with rewarmed ribs or other similar relatively spicy food.

• I like it 2

Garage drinks. In the midst of a kitchen remodel. I moved the dining room table into the garage and have made do. Wife won’t let me open the garage door in case the neighbors see our barbarism. That’s another story. Anyway, The Final Ward has been the drink of choice tonight. Equal parts rye, Luxardo, green chart, and lemon juice. Very good. 

D20A5D7B-2F10-4F04-AE00-A401675D3192.jpeg

Misses Whammie, little Whammie, and I just got back from a hot walk. I've not had this combo, but I figured it would be refreshing after sweating my tail off in this humid STL afternoon. It's not mind blowing, but it's pretty darn good. 

20200720_172222.jpg

A little toasty in Georgia today.  An Aviation/Fever Tree Gin & Tonic while listening to the Braves and waiting for pizza to be delivered.

E3F94E6E-E92A-46B3-92AC-B2FD175C4C99.jpeg

• I like it 2

Garage drinks. The Revolver. Ingredients call for Bulleit ( hence the name). I used 2 oz of Turkey, .5 ounce of Mr Black, and a couple dashes of orange angostura. Stirred & strained. Might be better w a cube. Drink isn’t working for me. Tastes muddled. 

B5E060A8-2347-4A86-A1E9-E33F6454580F.jpeg

Coals are lit.  Negroni is made.  Chicken goes on the grill next.  Then, the porterhouses!

1.5 oz gin

1 oz Campari

1 oz sweet vermouth

0726201350b.jpg

54 minutes ago, dean_martin said:

Coals are lit.  Negroni is made.  Chicken goes on the grill next.  Then, the porterhouses!

1.5 oz gin

1 oz Campari

1 oz sweet vermouth

0726201350b.jpg

Dayum, that’s nice!!!  ?

After a hot day of garden work, watching Braves and Mets in support of my brother.

Cooling off with a Campari Radler.

In a chilled pint glass,

1/4 oz. lemon juice

1 oz. Campari, 

top off with Stiegl Grapefruit Radler

So refreshing.

Uncle Nearest probably never imagined a reuse like this, but 1 litre Exotico Blanco tequila, infused with1 jalapeno (seeds too) 1/2 lime and sit for 9 days.

Now to the thread topic, 2 parts 151 Don Q rum, 1 part infused Tequila, 1 part Cecilia Acai liqueur, orange bitters and a splash of fig leaf simple syrup. This is on the 'repeat and drink' list.  Cheers.....

0729201417b.jpg

Enjoyed a peach old fashioned last night.   Something a little different, which was nice.

2 oz Bourbon

1 tsp maple syrup

2 peach slices

2 dashes Angostura

Muddle peaches, add other ingredients plus ice and stir.  Strain over fresh ice.

• I like it 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, MM818 said:

Garage drinks. In the midst of a kitchen remodel. I moved the dining room table into the garage and have made do. Wife won’t let me open the garage door in case the neighbors see our barbarism. That’s another story. Anyway, The Final Ward has been the drink of choice tonight. Equal parts rye, Luxardo, green chart, and lemon juice. Very good. 

Thanks for the cocktail, MM.  I’m enjoying one now, after a looooooong week.  Very nice!  I used Knob Creek rye in mine.  

Cheers!

DDA95153-881F-4719-AD77-B44DA9458D21.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, MM818 said:

Tried the Final Ward.  I was a little hesitant.  Wasn't sure what the combo of Luxardo and chartreuse would be like.  I am impressed, really enjoyed it.  Tried it straight up and also on the rocks.  I preferred on the rocks.  Mrs TwoFingers liked it as well.  

On 8/1/2020 at 5:22 PM, TwoFingers said:

Tried the Final Ward.  I was a little hesitant.  Wasn't sure what the combo of Luxardo and chartreuse would be like.  I am impressed, really enjoyed it.  Tried it straight up and also on the rocks.  I preferred on the rocks.  Mrs TwoFingers liked it as well.  

The Final Ward is an offshoot of The Last Word. Both great cocktails. I am always trying to find something interesting to try. Most of them aren’t in the a Final Wards league.

This past weekend I made The Left Hand. 1.5 oz EC. .75 oz Campari. .75 oz Sweet Vermouth. A couple dashes of chocolate bitters. Stirred, strained, up. Really bitter. 
I guess it’s essentially a Boulevardier but with chocolate instead of orange.  

749EC245-8887-471A-905A-F42E21C03471.jpeg

23 hours ago, MM818 said:

The Final Ward is an offshoot of The Last Word. Both great cocktails. I am always trying to find something interesting to try. Most of them aren’t in the a Final Wards league.

This past weekend I made The Left Hand. 1.5 oz EC. .75 oz Campari. .75 oz Sweet Vermouth. A couple dashes of chocolate bitters. Stirred, strained, up. Really bitter. 
I guess it’s essentially a Boulevardier but with chocolate instead of orange.  

Both the Final Ward and the Left Hand have found their way into past Sampler pop up cocktail bars I suspect but possibly under different names as I sometimes make up a new name for the cocktail “menu”.

The Left Hand and the Boulevardier do share a similar structure but with a bit different ratios. Some will make a Boulevardier with the classic 1:1:1 ratio like the Negroni but I think it benefits from a bit more Bourbon. Although, like a Negroni, I don’t typically use orange bitters, or any bitters other than Campari of course, in my Boulevardier recipe. An orange peel on the other hand is a welcome garnish in either drink! Although a cherry as garnish in a Boulevardier is probably more typical. 

The mole or “chocolate” bitters in the Left Hand have an interesting history. The drink was originally made with a one off Bittermen’s sweet chocolate bitters that was accidentally created by a blending error when making their mole bitters. It was not made again and now it is typically made with mole bitters.

The Right Hand is an interesting variation (at least to me!) made by basically using an aged rum to replace the bourbon. I like Appleton 12 in this drink unless I am looking for a bit more proof and/or “hogo”.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Both the Final Ward and the Left Hand have found their way into past Sampler pop up cocktail bars I suspect but possibly under different names as I sometimes make up a new name for the cocktail “menu”.

The Left Hand and the Boulevardier do share a similar structure but with a bit different ratios. Some will make a Boulevardier with the classic 1:1:1 ratio like the Negroni but I think it benefits from a bit more Bourbon. Although, like a Negroni, I don’t typically use orange bitters, or any bitters other than Campari of course, in my Boulevardier recipe. An orange peel on the other hand is a welcome garnish in either drink! Although a cherry as garnish in a Boulevardier is probably more typical. 

The mole or “chocolate” bitters in the Left Hand have an interesting history. The drink was originally made with a one off Bittermen’s sweet chocolate bitters that was accidentally created by a blending error when making their mole bitters. It was not made again and now it is typically made with mole bitters.

The Right Hand is an interesting variation (at least to me!) made by basically using an aged rum to replace the bourbon. I like Appleton 12 in this drink unless I am looking for a bit more proof and/or “hogo”.

I have a bottle of Appleton 12 on its last legs so may try The Right Hand to polish it off, thanks Bruce!

Seeing what this ranch water craze is all about.  Just made my first one.  Ok, I'm on board.  Deliciously refreshing!

• I like it 1

Sunday Bloody Sunday. A bloody Turkey to start the day. 

Prost!  Phil 

15969776345087402768210499370440.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Sunday Bloody Sunday. A bloody Turkey to start the day. 

Prost!  Phil 

15969776345087402768210499370440.jpg

My man! Where are you this time?

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

My man! Where are you this time?

The Emerald Coast, Destin Florida bro. You need to come here!

15969873138313510561954953274052.jpg

28 minutes ago, Phil T said:

The Emerald Coast, Destin Florida bro. You need to come here!

15969873138313510561954953274052.jpg

Looks amazing! I could really use that view right now!

Red Hook before a dinner last night.  We had standing rib roast done on the grill.

Jason Wilson (author of "Boozehound") was the Wash Post's Spirits columnist for years.  In DEC 2010, he wrote about this Manhattan variant from the NYC location of Milk & Honey (which is not Milk N Honey on Broadway which is a Kosher deli).

2 oz. OF 100 rye whiskey

1/2 oz. Punt e Mes vermouth

1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur (Luxardo although I've used Lazzaroni which is just fine)

cherry garnish

Up or rocks - you choose.

Same recipe also works if you substitute Cynar for Punt e Mes.

26 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Red Hook before a dinner last night.  We had standing rib roast done on the grill.

Jason Wilson (author of "Boozehound") was the Wash Post's Spirits columnist for years.  In DEC 2010, he wrote about this Manhattan variant from the NYC location of Milk & Honey (which is not Milk N Honey on Broadway which is a Kosher deli).

2 oz. OF 100 rye whiskey

1/2 oz. Punt e Mes vermouth

1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur (Luxardo although I've used Lazzaroni which is just fine)

cherry garnish

Up or rocks - you choose.

Same recipe also works if you substitute Cynar for Punt e Mes.

I made one of these a couple weeks ago! I have a bottle of Punt e Mes and went searching for recipes specific to this vermouth and came across the Red Hook. Pretty good!

Was out for my birthday dinner last night (outdoor seating, socially distant table placement) at the same place we went last year. We don't usually repeat like that but were looking for places with outdoor seating and this was the first one we found. I remember really liking their negroni last year, so much that I had two, so was looking forward to it. Come to find out they use Nolet's Gin and Punt e Mes in their house recipe. I would have thought it too strong for a negroni but it works great.

They have a variation on a Dark and Stormy that uses Elijah Craig, Averna, and Punt e Mes along with orange bitters that was also good. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.